My COVID19 Journey

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hi. I'd like to share my journey with you. My life has a lot to do with games (and this site in general) so I don't think it's totally inappropriate to share here. Also I love you folks. This board is an amazing community.

So... I have a mild case of COVID19 (or so I'm told). I'd like to talk about it, so that if you're a healthy person who's panicking, you might relax a little, and if you're a healthy person who's relaxed, you might take things a little more seriously. People who are vulnerable, I expect, are already taking things at least as seriously as they should. We should all be very, very serious about it, but not act rashly (as all people should strive to do when faced with a crisis.)

Here goes - I'll try not to take too much of your time, but I have a tendency to digress.

Background - I own a comic and game store in western Canada. I'm 46, and I am very average. Average height, average weight, average shape. I have no chronic illness, and I walk 15 minutes to work, plus I have a dog, so I walk more than your average American (no offence to them). Otherwise, I don't get much exercise. I have a little around the middle from Christmas that I haven't even bothered to try to get rid of.

Saturday March 14 - Late afternoon, I was at my store and I felt a headache coming on. I took an advil because someone used all the store's tylenol. I prefer tylenol but the advil seemed to do the trick.

Sunday March 15 - My store is open Sunday, but it's my family day. I have a wife and two teens. We hung out in the morning, and I did some catching up on the play-by-post games that I run and play here on ENWorld. In the afternoon I went to a friends place where we did some archery. We like to drink craft beer and shoot things. It's more hipster than it is redneck. I felt fine, but I made sure not to hug anyone (we are huggy) and to keep my distance, though I wasn't worried at the time that I had anything. It was just what we'd been told to do. In the evening, my wife and I went for groceries. People had been buying out the toilet paper for awhile, but now they were on to everything. There was no meat, eggs, milk, flour, etc, etc. The store felt violated. My wife actually cried in the car on the way home. She's normally very stoic.

Monday March 16 - My store's closed, so Mondays are kind of my Sunday, if you know what I mean. I took it easy. Felt fine in the morning. We went to another store to look for things we'd missed. This place was even worse. People were running around, there were huge lines. I tried to avoid people, but it was impossible. We went home empty handed. In the evening, the headache came back, and I felt run-down.

I woke up in the night to go to the toilet, and I saw something I hadn't since I was a child. I was born seven weeks premature, four pounds. When I was small, I used to get bronchitis often. Monday night (probably Tuesday morning actually) I saw shapes swirling around on the wall in the dark. Hallucinations that flashed me back to when I had a high-fever mixed with low oxygen from bronchitis. I hadn't even remembered it until then.

Tuesday March 17 - In Canada (at least where I am) we have a COVID19 hotline. I called them, and they told me I was fine to go to work (!) but that if I wanted to be overly paranoid about it (okay, they didn't use those words), I could isolate myself for fourteen days. This would be terribly hard on my business, but I decided to do it anyway. I called my top employee and told him he was in charge. I told him to reduce the store's hours (I work at least a third of the store's hours on my own, and more with one or two other people) and to start disinfecting everything - the door, the debit machine, the counter. And to monitor his own health very, very closely. Who knows how long I had anything before getting symptoms, right? (I hadn't interacted with him since Friday, and only briefly). So I stayed home, and I came down with very thick lungs. Hard to breathe. Very much like bronchitis. My wife and kids chose to isolate themselves too, in case they're carriers.

I had to cancel my Tuesday night face-to-face D&D group too, obviously.

Wednesday to Friday March 18 to 20 - Fever, cough, heavy chest, sore throat (though the throat not too bad). Always feeling like maybe I'm getting past the worst of it in the morning, and getting much worse in the evening. At night, I got night sweats - hot and cold. Always worse at night and feeling not so bad by 5am. Exhausted by the afternoon every day, though.

Saturday March 21 - The heavy chest seemed better. I started to feel like maybe I was on the mend. By the afternoon, I started a strange feeling that I can only describe as feeling like I'm drowning - the back of my throat is producing (still is as I type) so much fluid that I feel like... have you ever swam in the ocean? Ever get hit in the face by a wave when you come up to take a breath and swallow water? Well, I have, and it feels like that. I'm swallowing water all the time and it's getting in my lungs too. It's very different from the bronchitis heavy-lungs feeling, but I can actually breathe less than I could then.

Sunday March 22 - Up until this point, I've felt it's "not that bad". I know I'm healthy, so I'm not likely to die. I've been isolating myself to protect other people from me, not the other way around. There's a mountain behind my house that's entirely forested. I walk the dog there. I almost never run into another person, though I've run into a bear once (yay, Canada!). All this time, to get my exercise, I've been taking the dog up there during the day (wiping the doorknob down and avoiding other people and not touching anything I don't have to).

This time, I almost didn't make it up the trail. I'm not talking a long hike. Normally, I run up this hill with my dog off-leash. It was like running a marathon (not that I've done that, but I've cross-country skied a five kilometre race years ago). When I got back, I couldn't breathe. I felt like I was drowning worse than before.

I called the COVID19 Hotline. It took three and a half hours to get through. I almost called emergency, but I know a few breathing exercises, and they kept me with oxygen until the worse past, which was before the nurse answered. After answering all her questions, she told me that I have a mild case of COVID19. They're not testing people who are likely to survive, because they need all the tests for medical staff and they're short. She told me to call emergency if I get worse, but to hang in there, stay quarantined, avoid people, and when my symptoms are down to just a cough, I can start counting to ten days. After that, I'm free of it.

The fourteen day isolation is only for people who think they may have contracted it - if they don't show symptoms by then, they're supposedly safe. If you get it, you could have symptoms for much longer, and you're still possibly contagious for 2 to 10 days afterwards, so better to err on the side of caution. (Or so I was told).

UPDATE: Monday March 23 - In the morning I felt okay (obviously still a cough and that drowning feeling persisted), but as I expected, in the afternoon I got worse again. When it comes to fever, I hadn't had more than a minor one for a few days. I got medium-bad (I mean, I've had worse, but it wasn't fun, let's say). Though I had a nap, I didn't shake it, and for the first time, I lost my appetite for dinner. I had chills over night.

UPDATE: Tuesday March 24 - I was pretty weak, but as usual, I felt a little better in the morning than I did in the night. Though not as good as some of the mornings so far. I decided to stay in bed as much as possible. Which turned out to be a good idea, as I got very dizzy and feverish in the evening.

UPDATE: Wednesday March 25 (Day 10) - I'm glad to report that I might be finally past the worst of it. I had a terrible fever through the night (maybe the worst I've had, though they blend together) - but it broke by morning. Aside from a cough and a sore neck, my energy level has stayed pretty good today (compared to any previous evening), and I really feel like I might be nearly done! Knock on wood.

UPDATE: Thursday March 26 - Definitely on the mend. I'm low-energy, and have a bit of a headache, but even my cough has dropped down to tolerable levels.

Addendum: My wife and kids have yet to show any symptoms, in spite of being sequestered with me in a 1000 square-foot condo. I imagine three possible reasons for this: 1) We have done an amazing job of keeping my germs from them; 2) They have higher resistance somehow (Perhaps from being breast-fed. I wasn't.); 3) They will come down with it within the next week. I hope for 2, because I really doubt 1. Please not 3.

Thanks for letting me share. Take care of yourselves. I'll be around if you have any questions. I've got nowhere to go.

Edit: Feedback Request: It occurs to me that my original post didn't give you all anything to do other than feel sorry for me, or ask questions, so I'm gonna put this one out there:

Out of a sense of community, and to keep me entertained in my quarantine, if you've got nothing better to do and you are inclined, please tell me about yourself. Where you're from, what games you like or dislike, what you do. I mean, you can keep it vague-ish (I guess I kind of did, even while revealing some personal stuff). It's up to you. But I wouldn't mind getting a conversation going here, other than just get-well wishes (which are nice). Any takers?

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I have no idea where I got it from, other than that I handle money all day long. My store is within an hour (less in good conditions) of an international airport that has had many, many people arrive from China and Iran (and everywhere else) and we are something like a half hour's drive from the border to Washington State. I've been washing my hands diligently for weeks, but I have a tendency to fondle my beard. Handling money and a my beard is probably what got me.

Wash your hands. Don't touch your face.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. Don't take anything I say as anything more than an interesting story to make you think (and discuss if you like) - I mean, don't take any of it as medical advice!

I read an account by the widow of a man who was 51 and died. His story sounded very much like mine, except he stopped breathing around day six (I'm not sure about that). He had manageable leukemia, though, so while the poor fellow should have otherwise lived, he was vulnerable.

What I mean to say is, you never know what you're gonna get. Use your own judgement, and your own physicians, please! Don't take anything I say too much to heart either way.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Good luck to you. You have a bunch of people rooting for you (from the other end of an Internet cable) to kick this thing.
Keep in touch.

Tom B1

Explorer
Hi. I'd like to share my journey with you. My life has a lot to do with games (and this site in general) so I don't think it's totally inappropriate to share here. Also I love you folks. This board is an amazing community.

So... I have a mild case of COVID19. I'd like to talk about it, so that if you're a healthy person who's panicking, you might relax a little, and if you're a healthy person who's relaxed, you might take things a little more seriously. People who are vulnerable, I expect, are already taking things at least as seriously as they should. We should all be very, very serious about it, but not act rashly (as all people should strive to do when faced with a crisis.)

Here goes - I'll try not to take too much of your time, but I have a tendency to digress.

Background - I own a comic and game store in western Canada. I'm 46, and I am very average. Average height, average weight, average shape. I have no chronic illness, and I walk 15 minutes to work, plus I have a dog, so I walk more than your average American (no offence to them). Otherwise, I don't get much exercise. I have a little around the middle from Christmas that I haven't even bothered to try to get rid of.

Saturday March 14 - Late afternoon, I was at my store and I felt a headache coming on. I took an advil because someone used all the store's tylenol. I prefer tylenol but the advil seemed to do the trick.

Sunday March 15 - My store is open Sunday, but it's my family day. I have a wife and two teens. We hung out in the morning, and I did some catching up on the play-by-post games that I run and play here on ENWorld. In the afternoon I went to a friends place where we did some archery. We like to drink craft beer and shoot things. It's more hipster than it is redneck. I felt fine, but I made sure not to hug anyone (we are huggy) and to keep my distance, though I wasn't worried at the time that I had anything. It was just what we'd been told to do. In the evening, my wife and I went for groceries. People had been buying out the toilet paper for awhile, but now they were on to everything. There was no meat, eggs, milk, flour, etc, etc. The store felt violated. My wife actually cried in the car on the way home. She's normally very stoic.

Monday March 16 - My store's closed, so Mondays are kind of my Sunday, if you know what I mean. I took it easy. Felt fine in the morning. We went to another store to look for things we'd missed. This place was even worse. People were running around, there were huge lines. I tried to avoid people, but it was impossible. We went home empty handed. In the evening, the headache came back, and I felt run-down.

I woke up in the night to go to the toilet, and I saw something I hadn't since I was a child. I was born seven weeks premature, four pounds. When I was small, I used to get bronchitis often. Monday night (probably Tuesday morning actually) I saw shapes swirling around on the wall in the dark. Hallucinations that flashed me back to when I had a high-fever mixed with low oxygen from bronchitis. I hadn't even remembered it until then.

Tuesday March 17 - In Canada (at least where I am) we have a COVID19 hotline. I called them, and they told me I was fine to go to work (!) but that if I wanted to be overly paranoid about it (okay, they didn't use those words), I could isolate myself for fourteen days. This would be terribly hard on my business, but I decided to do it anyway. I called my top employee and told him he was in charge. I told him to reduce the store's hours (I work at least a third of the store's hours on my own, and more with one or two other people) and to start disinfecting everything - the door, the debit machine, the counter. And to monitor his own health very, very closely. Who knows how long I had anything before getting symptoms, right? (I hadn't interacted with him since Friday, and only briefly). So I stayed home, and I came down with very thick lungs. Hard to breathe. Very much like bronchitis. My wife and kids chose to isolate themselves too, in case they're carriers.

I had to cancel my Tuesday night face-to-face D&D group too, obviously.

Wednesday to Friday March 18 to 20 - Fever, cough, heavy chest, sore throat (though the throat not too bad). Always feeling like maybe I'm getting past the worst of it in the morning, and getting much worse in the evening. At night, I got night sweats - hot and cold. Always worse at night and feeling not so bad by 5am. Exhausted by the afternoon every day, though.

Saturday March 21 - The heavy chest seemed better. I started to feel like maybe I was on the mend. By the afternoon, I started a strange feeling that I can only describe as feeling like I'm drowning - the back of my throat is producing (still is as I type) so much fluid that I feel like... have you ever swam in the ocean? Ever get hit in the face by a wave when you come up to take a breath and swallow water? Well, I have, and it feels like that. I'm swallowing water all the time and it's getting in my lungs too. It's very different from the bronchitis heavy-lungs feeling, but I can actually breathe less than I could then.

Sunday March 22 - Up until this point, I've felt it's "not that bad". I know I'm healthy, so I'm not likely to die. I've been isolating myself to protect other people from me, not the other way around. There's a mountain behind my house that's entirely forested. I walk the dog there. I almost never run into another person, though I've run into a bear once (yay, Canada!). All this time, to get my exercise, I've been taking the dog up there during the day (wiping the doorknob down and avoiding other people and not touching anything I don't have to).

This time, I almost didn't make it up the trail. I'm not talking a long hike. Normally, I run up this hill with my dog off-leash. It was like running a marathon (not that I've done that, but I've cross-country skied a five kilometre race years ago). When I got back, I couldn't breathe. I felt like I was drowning worse than before.

I called the COVID19 Hotline. It took three and a half hours to get through. I almost called emergency, but I know a few breathing exercises, and they kept me with oxygen until the worse past, which was before the nurse answered. After answering all her questions, she told me that I have a mild case of COVID19. They're not testing people who are likely to survive, because they need all the tests for medical staff and they're short. She told me to call emergency if I get worse, but to hang in there, stay quarantined, avoid people, and when my symptoms are down to just a cough, I can start counting to ten days. After that, I'm free of it.

The fourteen day isolation is only for people who think they may have contracted it - if they don't show symptoms by then, they're supposedly safe. If you get it, you could have symptoms for much longer, and you're still possibly contagious for 2 to 10 days afterwards, so better to err on the side of caution.

Today - like all mornings, I feel okay. I mean, I have a cough and I still feel like I'm drowning, but both are minor. I wonder what this afternoon will be like.

Addendum: My wife and kids have yet to show any symptoms, in spite of being sequestered with me in a 1000 square-foot condo. I imagine three possible reasons for this: 1) We have done an amazing job of keeping my germs from them; 2) They have higher resistance somehow (Perhaps from being breast-fed. I wasn't.); 3) They will come down with it within the next week. I hope for 2, because I really doubt 1. Please not 3.

Thanks for letting me share. Take care of yourselves. I'll be around if you have any questions. I've got nowhere to go.

There have been a lot of folks under 30 and even older folks who are assuming their usual response to the flu will be how Covid-19 arrives for them if at all. You are an example of one of the more vulnerable people whom those self-centered or clueless individuals are putting at risk, but there have also been a decent number of very sick millenials and others under 50 too. Deaths may not have been that high in those demographics, but I'll bet some have the lung damage, some had to be in recovery for a longer period. And some probably passed it to more vulnerable people they are supposed to care about.

The PM is right. The math says we need to break the curve and the ONLY way to do that is to up our isolation game for several weeks (maybe a month).

My 12 year old is likely to lose the second half of her grade 7 year. I don't see schools getting back before September and that's only if 1) we have a vaccine or 2) we have had so many people sick that 70% of us have some post-Covid resistance (which we are not yet certain is a guaranteed thing, nor do we know how long it will persist, and 3) we don't get another wave (you could get waves every 15 days if people don't stay locked down and not everyone will... so this could go on for months).

I've got an 86 year old with shingles in one eye right now, an 85 year old with bad knees who is diabetic, a 40-odd year old wife who just had a hip rebuild and whose physio is indefinitely put off, and I've got a bad history with respiratory viruses after getting pneumonia once and a tropical chest infection similar too - my lungs now seem very likely to get whatever is going.

The younger folk better smarten up or some of them will get badly hurt and even worse, they'll be responsible for hurting elders and the vulnerable in their communities.

I hope nobody in your family gets it. It's hard to stop with 9 days on surfaces and 4 hours+ in aerosol format after someone coughs or sneezes. And with a 10-15 day average contagious but not yet symptomatic phase... its VERY easy to spread without knowing it.

It's worse than SARS, worse than the Spanish Flu (source: ex-CDC head), it tends to do more damage to lungs that lasts, and its easy to infect others when you don't know it (flu typically has maybe 4-5 days asymptomatic at most and you aren't very contagious there so you can start to see symptoms and isolate... this thing is far worse). We're not even sure a vaccine is possible.

And if the medical system gets swamped (not too hard, running at over 80% (often over 100%) on any given day to start with... we'll see more triage 'who lives' decisions and more deaths due to lack of resources to treat - just like Italy. With exponential doubling, we could see that in the next couple of weeks. And if we don't do the social isolation justice, then we'll see far worse in 3-4 weeks. The exponential growth curve is merciless.

I hope you and your family get better and your employees (I assume you are in BC from the sounds of your description) avoid catching it. I hope your recovery is complete and that you do get some sort of resistance to catching it again (and that it lasts at least through the year).

Thanks for sharing your story. We need more personal stories of misery and sickness to maybe penetrate teh narcissism and self-centered behaviour of some in our society that are risking more injuries and deaths for their own amusement or entertainment.

Sobey's is installing plexi shields to protect their cashiers. I think any other place is not protecting them well enough. If you can't get your people behind a shield, you'd better close up for a while, or some of them are going to get it from an infected individual (and again, they won't even know they are giving it to you).

Good luck, be safe.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
1) There have been a lot of folks under 30 and even older folks who are assuming their usual response to the flu will be how Covid-19 arrives for them if at all.

2) I hope you and your family get better and your employees (I assume you are in BC from the sounds of your description) avoid catching it. I hope your recovery is complete and that you do get some sort of resistance to catching it again (and that it lasts at least through the year).

3) Sobey's is installing plexi shields to protect their cashiers. I think any other place is not protecting them well enough. If you can't get your people behind a shield, you'd better close up for a while.

1) I went out for some air yesterday (staying away from other people, not far from home) and I saw a group of teens standing around in a tight group. One of them saw me looking at them and he called, "It's okay, we don't have cornona!" I very nearly called back, "Good for you, but I do!" (I might have, but they all moved apart sheepishly after calling out, so I let it go.)

2) Thanks. Yes, BC. Me too. That's one of the things frustrating about not having been tested. I don't know 100% that I have the "real" thing, (though it's presenting consistently and it's extremely probable) but there's a chance I'll get it (either again, or for "real"). I really don't want to go through this again. Or worse.

3) I really wish BC government would take that decision away and force us to close. I've told my employees that if they are at all concerned, to just close. We only get a few customers in the door at a time, usually, (when there isn't gaming or Magic going on, which is cancelled, of course), and it's obviously extra quiet now. We've got 2300 square feet with very big isles (for a comic store). Easy enough to keep your distance.

Mostly they are packing up people's orders and putting them on a counter (or curb-side) for pick-up. No close interaction. Debit machine tap (which gets disinfected after each use) or credit card by phone and disinfecting the door. We're discouraging browsing. It's relatively low-risk, but still - I might have got it myself at work (though I think it was the trip into Vancouver where I foolisly went to some craft breweries the week before I had symptoms).

At any rate, we'll probably close up for the foreseeable future as of Thursday. It's just too risky.

1) I went out for some air yesterday (staying away from other people, not far from home) and I saw a group of teens standing around in a tight group. One of them saw me looking at them and he called, "It's okay, we don't have cornona!" I very nearly called back, "Good for you, but I do!" (I might have, but they all moved apart sheepishly after calling out, so I let it go.)

2) Thanks. Yes, BC. Me too. That's one of the things frustrating about not having been tested. I don't know 100% that I have the "real" thing, (though it's presenting consistently and it's extremely probable) but there's a chance I'll get it (either again, or for "real"). I really don't want to go through this again. Or worse.

3) I really wish BC government would take that decision away and force us to close. I've told my employees that if they are at all concerned, to just close. We only get a few customers in the door at a time, usually, (when there isn't gaming or Magic going on, which is cancelled, of course), and it's obviously extra quiet now. We've got 2300 square feet with very big isles (for a comic store). Easy enough to keep your distance.

Mostly they are packing up people's orders and putting them on a counter (or curb-side) for pick-up. No close interaction. Debit machine tap (which gets disinfected after each use) or credit card by phone and disinfecting the door. We're discouraging browsing. It's relatively low-risk, but still - I might have got it myself at work (though I think it was the trip into Vancouver where I foolisly went to some craft breweries the week before I had symptoms).

At any rate, we'll probably close up for the foreseeable future as of Thursday. It's just too risky.

Are there any rumblings about closing all but essential businesses in BC? Although, reading Washington State's list, it is still pretty broad. Our governor is trying to keep things open as much as possible, but people keep ignoring common sense, so the noose keeps tightening.

My husband and I are fortunate in that I am able to teach from home right now and he is able to work from home half the time -- and the other half, he is usually the only person in his office, even in normal times. I do worry about our economy, though. I know what we are doing is necessary, but the long-term effects are going to be harsh.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases