D&D 5E My D&D Wishlist 5 Years Later

Back in 2015 a little after the Elemental Player's Companion and Princes of the Apocalypse came out I made a wishlist for what I'd like to see in D&D 5e sooner or latter (pref sooner for most them, but at the time I didn't understand the slow and deliberate release cycle for this edition). About 5 years latter, lets see where my wishlist stands.

"1. More material for the various campaign settings (Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, Birthright, and Mystara), full book releases or player's companions, whatever just more. And maybe how they can all connect to each other (Spelljammer!)"

Well we finally have some full campaign setting books; Guild Masters' Guide to Ravnica, Eberron: Rising From The Last War, Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, and Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Three of these are brand new settings to D&D while the rest of the older settings get token mentions here and there in the various books.

"2. More planar goodies. the current state of Sigil, a list of the domains of dread deep in the shadow fell, maybe a planar player's companion that has player race rules for more planetouched and rouge modrons."

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes gave us Tiefling subraces, Eladrin, Shadar-Kai, and the Githyanki and Githzerai. But it mainly focused on some planar lore like the Blood War, the rift between elven races, the Illithid empire and the Gith uprising. Aside from some teasing references, it seems like a dedicated Spelljammer or Planescape book is far off if ever coming. Still for a planetouched party we have; Tieflings, Aasimar, Genasi, Eladrin/Shadar-Kai Elves, and the 2 Gith races. We also have the Aarakocra and Tritons as they are usually native to the elemental planes of air and water respectively.

"3. More of the base classes from previous editions translated to class paths, some 1E ones that are left like the Cavalier (maybe as a spell less paladin variant or fighter archetype) and the Acrobat. Or 3E classes like the Hexblade, Samurai, Shugenja (for Clerics), Wu jen (Wizards), Shaman (Druids). And even 4E classes like the Swordmage, Warlord, and Runepriest."

Through book releases and playtest material we've seen a lot of growth in this department. It would be easier to list classes from the previous editions that haven't been made into subclasses for this edition. Still would like to see more Unearthed Arcana playtests for subclasses based off of previous classes, kits, and prestige classes.

"4. More playable races, especially from the common humanoid races (Orcs, Goblinoids, Kobolds, Gnolls), I've already mentioned planar races, I would like more races from the various settings (Thri-kreen, Muls, Giff, Lupins, Rakasta, Tortles). And of course more subraces for the races that have them."

Again lots of development here. Between Volo's Guide to Monsters, Eberron, Ravnica, and Wildemount we have stats for; Orcs, Goblinoids, Kobolds, Lizardfolk, Kenku, Yuan-Ti, Centaurs, Minotaurs, Tabaxi, and Tortles.

"5. Psionics, the races, classes, monsters, powers, and settings (mainly Dark Sun and Eberron)."

This one hurts, 5 playtests for either a psionic class or subclasses to existing classes. And it we don't know if we're any closer to an official one yet. At least each one has mentioned Dark Sun so that might be on the horizon. And we have several Psionic races to play with; Githyanki, Githzerai, Kalashtar, Ghostwise Halflings, and Verdan Goblinoids.

"6. Other games that could be made using the same rule set as D&D. Gamma World, Boot Hill, Urban Arcana and/or Dark*Matter, Star Frontiers and/or Star*Drive. Give those advanced tech rules in the Dungeon Master's Guide room to breathe and grow while still being so completely compatible with D&D that while they each function on their own they can still be combined to make for some crazy crossover games."

I never expected to see anything happen in this area honestly. As a massive fan of d20 Modern (and d20 Future, Urban Arcana, and Dark*Matter) I've come to expect to be treated as the unwanted stepchild of the community (site went suddenly dead with no notice just when an adventure path was started, the forums were shrunk, moved, shrunk, then eventually killed off). There has been an article and a UA about d20 Modern for me this felt like the skies opening up and the gaming gods letting me know I've not been forsaken.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I still want a planar book/guide to the planes that uses exploring different published settings as an avenue to release new options specific to those worlds, and talk about worldbuilding, and about making characters that are grounded in a setting, and using variant rules to make the themes of a world shine.

I think we will see soon a planar handbook, maybe this year or the next.

I want more base classes. Psion/mysthic will be the next, and later maybe the warlord and the shaman.

I have said several times in the past WotC wants an Universal d20 for all genres, even space opera and superheroes, but to create a new d20 Modern 100% compatible with D&D 5th Ed. is a true challenge. My theory is we will see a 5.5. Ed but not as printed book but as videogame.

I dare to say the WotC's dream is to create a d20 superheroes for the fandom of Marvel and DC, and to adapt the most popular videogames franchises, for example Fortnite and Overwatch. But high-tech (exosuits, powered armors and mechas) allow PCs to become stronger than the monster templates.

I guess they could be working in an idea like the gestalt from 3.5 Unearthed Arcana, but with the secondary class PCs aren't stronger (nothing about more hit-points or bonus attack or save) but only knowing more things (for example new languages).

Remove ads