2. Renaming "Deities and Demigods" into "Legends and Lore"
3. Renaming demons and devils
4. 3E
5. 3.5E
6. 4E
7. 4.5E
etc.

See the pattern?

Seems to me that this has always been about change. That's not to say that new stuff is always an improvement over old stuff. But I tend to find that people's default feeling is negative when it comes to something changing. "The game has a different feel." and all of that.

4E is going to have to succeed and be a good game or people won't play it. Folks who are desperate to explain why their minority opinion is valid might be tempted to reason from the "3E fans are mindless drones" perspective because it feels alot better that having to face the possibility that 3E fans see something or understand something that they don't.

I'm looking forward to the irony of 3E grognards. "The day Monte Cook left WotC was the saddest day..." :cool:

Except that I specifically said that I embraced 3E at first, which you ignored. Which totally invalidates your point. It was not a "default feeling" - that's just plain untrue. I don't know why you chose to ignore that point and come just short of insinuating that I'm some kind of ignorant luddite. :mad:

helium3

First Post
Hussar said:
But, the fly in this little soup of yours is the fact that Paizo weren't producing OGC content in Dungeon or Dragon. Rather they were using WOTC IP to push their magazines. In other words, they were peddling WOTC's own stuff.

Well, they weren't really supporting WoTC all that well anyway. Sure they printed stuff that contained D&D IP. However, you hardly ever saw material from anything other than the core books. Their support of new material hardly existed.

Last edited:

gizmo33

First Post
Korgoth said:
Which totally invalidates your point.

I'm sure whatever point you think I was trying to make was completely invalid.

Korgoth said:
I don't know why you chose to ignore that point and come just short of insinuating that I'm some kind of ignorant luddite. :mad:

I chose to ingore it because it wasn't relevant to the point I was trying to make. On the topic - you chose to ignore 1000s of statements of people on this board to the effect of "3E is a pretty good game". Instead, you pronouce in the omniscient voice, that 3E is some horrible thing in the history of RPGs. The melodrama inherent in that statement is clearly (to me) not motivated by anything I would recognize as logic. The likely candidate, I thought, for the cause of the melodrama was that aspect of human nature that I'm describing. Being an "ignorant luddite" is not human nature, so it's not what I'm talking about. What I insinuated was something more subtle and kind than that nasty, closeminded thing that you accuse me of saying. In fact, I accused myself of the same thing (whatever you want to call it.)

gizmo33

First Post
helium3 said:
Well, they weren't really supporting WoTC all that well anyway. Sure they printed stuff that contained D&D IP. However, you hardly ever saw material from anything other than the core books. Their support of new material hardly existed.

What's a core book? There are tons of books referenced in Dungeon mag that I don't own, so I assumed that they weren't core. In fact I vaguely recall at least one adventure that didn't use a single monster from the MMI.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
With any luck, we'll see soem hints about 4e D&D in the new Star Wars stuff, and, hopefully, more hints in another system (such as the elsewhere-mentioned possibility of a new d20 Modern release). What would be nice, of course, woud be to see a "4.0" d20 Modern release that came with its own MSRD. That would give some folks a sense of relief.

If anything, I'd bet that we'll see the opposite. I'm not sure how valuable the PI has been for Wizards. I'd love to get my hands on non-WotC material that used "Beholder" and "Yuan-Ti" if it was good stuff. And, for maximum exposure, maybe we'll see an opening of the OGL, not a reduction.

But, honestly, I have no idea how it will all come out.

Dave

Remove ads