D&D General My Favorite Edition of D&D is...

My favorite edition of D&D is...

• ...the edition I was introduced to D&D with.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • ...the edition I played the longest/most of.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • ...both the one I was introduced to D&D with and played the longest/most of.

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • ...neither the one I was introduced to D&D with nor the one I played the longest/most of.

Votes: 48 55.8%

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Started with the Red Box

Played the most 3rd edition (was in college for a good chunk of that so had lots of free time).

Favorite is 5e.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Started with the Red Basic set, had a cruish on Aleena :)
Left 2e to play GURPS
returned because I liked d20
Pathfinder is my favourite edition :)
now prefer FAE
but 5e is growing on me, I just havent played enough

Stormonu

Legend
Good point, first-impression bias varies by topic and person but it's still common. I bet you could think of a handful of examples of other things that you still prefer from your childhood. (Maybe it doesn't apply to mustard for you, but it does for me.)

Y'know, I want to agree with you because it certainly sounds reasonable, but so far whenever I try and think of an example my first exposure to something has not been my favorite. Gone through in my mind things like Star Wars (movie, toys, books, etc.), Star Trek, D&D, several foods and the like, and so far whatever got me interested in it isn't my favorite.

I will say however, that in a lot of cases, my first impression encounter with something has had a large impact on sticking with it. Except Star Trek - my first encounter with that was the '78 motion picture...

Shiroiken

Legend
Started on 1E and played it the longest. I've played every edition except OD&D (which I'd like to try as a one shot). I've found 5E to be the best edition by far, and I hope that it will be my longest edition :)

R_J_K75

Legend
Seriously, why even bother with French's mustard, when pure vinegar is so much cheaper and tastes the same? Get yourself a real mustard. I love this one so much that I won't even bother trying other brands. "No thank you, Fancy Mustard salesman," I will say, "I already have sixteen bottles of Gulden's at home. Go find someone else to disappoint."

Guldens is awesome. I just ran out last week :mad:!! I'm still battling the internal struggle within whether or not this is essential because I have other people grocery shopping for me during this pandemic. As much as I love Guldens its got nothing on Webers Horseradish Mustard. Its extremely hard to find outside of Buffalo, NY and is made here, so I may be biased as everyone in the city grew up on it. Its definitely worth checking out.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Just a poll inspired by a lot of answers I am seeing in other threads.

As usual, feel free to expound in the comments. Also note that in this case "edition" can also mean, clone or simulacrum or weird house ruled Frankenstein's edition.
I started playing D&D in 1994 or 95 with 2nd Edition AD&D. I played it until 3rd Edition came out, played it (and 3.5) until 4e came out, then took a break until 5e. I dove into 5e and I enjoy it very much.

But my favorite edition? Rules Cyclopedia Basic. It has a feel very similar to 5e - in fact, a whole host of 5e "innovations" can be found within it's pages - but it slid a much lighter and faster game.

My vote goes to RC D&D, all the way!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Favorite of current favorite.

I started 2e, played 3e the most, but

4e is my current favorite to DM
5e is my current favorite to play

But that cold eaily change as it used to be 3e then 4e. I like 5e my favorite currently but 6e could easily blow it away.

Remove ads