D&D General My head exploded

der_kluge

Adventurer
Ok, so this is a bit long, but ultimately quite fascinating (at least to me).

So, recently, I discovered a website called www.adventurelookup.com. Whoever created this thing deserve a good backrub, or something, because it's awesome. It's a database of D&D modules. So, I was using it to do searches for urban adventures. You can specify specific monsters, level ranges, settings, etc.. So, one of the modules that fit the criteria came from Dungeon issue #7. That comes from the year 1987, for you young punks. I have a digital copy of this issue, so I pulled it up, and began reading it, and unlike 99% of every other dungeon module I'd ever read, I actually liked it, so I decided it would work in my campaign.

I continued reading, and lo and behold yet another module from Dungeon issue #7 also came up, and that one, I also liked! What are the odds that two modules out of the same Dungeon issue would be so interesting. At any rate, I'm looking at the cover for this issue, and the art was done by Paul Jaquays. What?! Now, I'm a huge fan of Jaquays as a writer, but I had no idea that she (now Janelle) was also an artist. So, I pulled up Janelle's Wikipedia entry. Man - what a life! Holy cow. She designed Quake levels for ID, did graphics work for Coleco, and so many other things.

But here's where my head exploded. I had already known the Janelle transitioned, and was in a relationship with another woman. But what I didn't know was that Janelle was married to Rebecca Heineman who was the winner of the 1980 Space Invaders tournament, was featured in a Netflix series on Video Games, which my wife and I watched a couple of months ago, and whom herself also transitioned.

Thus, my head exploded. Man, I'd love to have dinner with those two. What a world of fascinating stories they must have.

Last edited:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Janelle is a freaking badass and as far as I know is still working with Goodman Games on pumping out awesome old-school adventures. Her partner is also super awesome.

As a friendly side-note; it's usually considered bad form to refer to transitioned person's deadname (former name), even when speaking in the past-tense (ie, pre-transition). As a member of the community, I'll try to explain: who we "were" pre-transition was not who we really were, but who we had felt like we were being forced to pretend to be. I know that specifically Jennell prefers to be referred to as Jennell even from a historical perspective; there was a back-and-forth in the comments that look like they were deleted, but the Alexandrian upon her request removed her deadname and properly gendered her in his series of articles about her: Jaquaying the Dungeon.

By the way everyone should also read that series of articles; I know The Alexandrian is not everyone's cup of tea, and for good reason, but a better breakdown of the genius of Jaquays' dungeon-design you will not find.

Retreater

Legend
Janelle is a freaking badass and as far as I know is still working with Goodman Games on pumping out awesome old-school adventures. Her partner is also super awesome.

As a friendly side-note; it's usually considered bad form to refer to transitioned person's deadname (former name), even when speaking in the past-tense (ie, pre-transition). As a member of the community, I'll try to explain: who we "were" pre-transition was not who we really were, but who we had felt like we were being forced to pretend to be. I know that specifically Jennell prefers to be referred to as Jennell even from a historical perspective; there was a back-and-forth in the comments that look like they were deleted, but the Alexandrian upon her request removed her deadname and properly gendered her in his series of articles about her: Jaquaying the Dungeon.

By the way everyone should also read that series of articles; I know The Alexandrian is not everyone's cup of tea, and for good reason, but a better breakdown of the genius of Jaquays' dungeon-design you will not find.
Reading the Jacquaying the Dungeon articles were a complete mind-opening experience for me that greatly improved my design.
Jennell Jacquays wrote the Catacombs Guide in 2nd edition that became my guide to DMing for decades. My group is preparing to start her Caverns of Thracia (converted to OSE). Her work is a treasure to the RPG community - just my take.

akr71

Hero
Adventure lookup was a Matt Colville innovation. He got someone to design the sight and I think people from all over were able to add the modules including keywords to help find the adventure you want. It was a great idea.
I think it has fallen out of his attention - rightfully so - he's busy running a company. I've used Adventure Lookup a few times, and even added a few to the database. Like all great cooperative databases, its strength is its user base. If people don't keep adding adventures to it, it becomes out of date rather quickly.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Reading the Jacquaying the Dungeon articles were a complete mind-opening experience for me that greatly improved my design.
Jennell Jacquays wrote the Catacombs Guide in 2nd edition that became my guide to DMing for decades. My group is preparing to start her Caverns of Thracia (converted to OSE). Her work is a treasure to the RPG community - just my take.
Wow, you made my head explode again. I had no idea she'd written the Catacombs guide!

der_kluge

Adventurer

Thanks for the education.

Heinemann also was part Interplay and worked on / designed Bard's Tale, Dragon Wars and such gems of early computer roleplaying games. So, there's a ton of awesome in this couple.

Remove ads