D&D 5E My house-rules for extreme weather and sleeping in armor

Oofta

Legend
I'll pipe up as one of those people who dislike the "sleeping in armor sucks" rule.

Have you ever slept in armor? I know I haven't so I have no clue how hard it would be. However, I have done a lot of backpacking and occasionally slept on hard, uneven rock (awesome trip BTW). I slept fine, and was OK after a couple of minutes working the kinks out.

Second, it really penalizes one subset of characters. High dex characters already have many, many advantages. Why pile on?

Last, but not least, heavy armor in D&D is not realistic. Nobody would wear it all day, every day, yet we assume they do. Get over it. :)

As far as sleeping without a tent, etc that's easy enough to do. It's called rain and bugs. People have to make con saves or suffer a level of exhaustion. Easy, simple and realistic.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think the best rules for this is to simply make players roll exhaustion checks whenever it seems appropriate with a reasonable DC for the situation. I guess you would call that "eyeballing" it but it's simple.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

machineelf

Explorer
Thank you all for input and thoughts. Yeah I might ditch the penalty to sleeping in armor. I still want to add a bit to the extreme weather rules because I plan to be running some some campaigns soon in desert and arctic climates, and I want there to be a challenge. I also want tents and sleeping pads to be meaningful, so that the players have to choose gear carefully.

machineelf

Explorer
I think the best rules for this is to simply make players roll exhaustion checks whenever it seems appropriate with a reasonable DC for the situation. I guess you would call that "eyeballing" it but it's simple.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

I like it. Also seems to be in the spirit of 5e, as other people have mentioned. I still think I'll give tents and bedrolls and campfires some kind of plus to the check, so they will still be meaningful items and players will be motivated to bring appropriate gear.

TallIan

Explorer
After thinking on this a bit (taking into account KahlessNestor's comment about 5e simplicity), how about:

Extreme Cold

While sleeping or resting in extreme cold make a CON check every 2 hours* or suffer 1 level of exhaustion. The DC equals 15. Add +2 to the roll if you have a tent. Roll with advantage if you have appropriate bedroll. No need to test if you have a large fire.

Extreme Heat

While active in extreme heat make a CON save every 2 hours** or suffer 1 level of exhaustion. The DC equals 10 for moderate activity or 15 for heavy activity. Roll with advantage if this is your first test since your last rest. Add +2 to the roll if at least half the time you are in the shade. Roll with disadvantage of you are in heavy armour.

*This is rounded up from a normal human cycle of 90 mins - just easier maths.
**Just to keep the timing the same as cold

machineelf

Explorer
Thanks, TallIan, I'll give some thoughts to your suggestion. I've made some changes to my original proposal. This is what I have now:

Extreme Cold: Surviving in extremely cold or hot places, like arctic or desert climates, can be a challenge. If you are in an arctic climate and have no cold-weather gear on, you are going to slowly freeze to death. You must succeed on a DC 10 Con saving throw each hour or suffer a level of exhaustion. At nighttime it becomes a DC 15 Con saving throw every hour. If you have cold weather gear on (thick coat, gloves, boots, head covering), then you automatically succeed on the saving throw while traveling (the physical exercise from moving also keeps you warm).

But at nighttime when you are camping, you will have to succeed on a Con saving throw to survive the cold weather. In cold weather, the DC is 10. In very cold weather, the DC is 15. And in extremely cold weather, the DC is 20. Having a tent or some other form of shelter gives you a +5. Having cold-weather gear gives you a + 3. And having a bedroll (which in our game is a thick, wool blanket) gives you a +2.

Extreme Heat: If you are in an extremely hot place, like a desert, you will need to consume twice the amount of water that you normally require. If you don’t have access to drinkable water, you must make a DC 5 Con saving throw for the first hour, or suffer a level of exhaustion. The DC increases by 1 every additional hour. Characters who are wearing medium or heavy armor have disadvantage on the roll. Character who have drinkable water but are wearing medium or heavy armor must still make a DC 5 Con saving throw, increasing by 1 every hour, but they don’t have to make it with disadvantage if they are drinking water.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases