D&D 5E My interview with Trapdoor Technologies about DungeonScape

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This took place at Gen Con a couple of weeks ago. I talk to Evan Newton, Chris Matney and Rachel Bowen. It's just over an hour long, and covers a range of topics.

[video=youtube;LJ1E-tN_aQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LJ1E-tN_aQs[/video]

Patrick McGill

First Post
Showing off your WHFRP box I see. ;)

Edit for actual video commentary as I watch:

1.I really like that the PHB is accessible as an ebook within the app (if you've bought it). From their new blog post from today, it seems like you'll be buying each book within the app, or pieces of it broken into chunks for ease of consumption.

2. Didn't even think about needing a Rest button, but I'm glad it's in there. That's a really neat way to refresh spells and abilities.

3. Nice developer butt shot at 21:00, going for the fan service angle I see.

4. The secret rolls and messages is going to be great for the group I play with, who are an evil band of miscreants and ne'er do wells. The Players, not the PCs.

5. I wonder if the DM can add non-DS players to the tracker. Like, manually type in a pencil and paper character to be included in the initiative order.

6. Sound effects yeeeeeesss. Definitely a feature I'm pining for.

Overall I'm pretty happy with that I'm hearing, though I've been pretty excited since it was first announced.

Thanks for the great interview, Morrus!

Last edited:

Ranes

Adventurer
Good questions. Good answers. Good interview. You go a little out of sync talking to Rachael* but you recover well by the end.

Y'know, honestly, this app has me more interested in playing and running and buying 5e than any of the features or innovations of the actual edition (and that isn't meant as a snipe at the edition).

Also, while it wasn't explicitly said that the web version would be usable offline, it certainly sounded like it.

Thanks for bringing us this.

* I hope I heard that correctly.

drjones

Explorer
The code, 10/30/71 - Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention played a set at the Fillmore!

Or maybe the first release of the Chainmail rules which was in 71

coriolis

Explorer
The code, 10/30/71 - Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention played a set at the Fillmore!

Or maybe the first release of the Chainmail rules which was in 71

I also saw a reference to a date. I initially thought it might have been the first official game of D&D, but it seems a bit too early for that. Linking it to Chainmail (first public game? release date?) makes more sense.

Chriscdoa

Explorer
Q. Will the app cost or the content?

i dont want to have to buy it for pc, android and ios.
bet it only runs on newest ios...making it useless to me.
whereas a pdf would work on all platforms...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Q. Will the app cost or the content?

i dont want to have to buy it for pc, android and ios.
bet it only runs on newest ios...making it useless to me.
whereas a pdf would work on all platforms...

That info is in there. Free app, some free content, can buy more content.

Ranes

Adventurer
I also saw a reference to a date. I initially thought it might have been the first official game of D&D, but it seems a bit too early for that. Linking it to Chainmail (first public game? release date?) makes more sense.

If it's a date, it's too late for first edition Chainmail and too early for second edition Chainmail (a few months either side). Could there be something Chainmail related in the middle? Maybe but I can't find it. If it's a date, it doesn't quite seem to tie in with GenCon either. And the number's only a part of it; there's the 'DU'. It's intriguing.

Remove ads