D&D 5E My new STR-based Rogue.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
So, for Adventurer's League, I've made a new character - a STR-based rogue. Very specifically, he's a variant human Rogue with the grappler feat who moves in for the grapple (to gain advantage on attacks against the grappled creature), then on subsequent turns uses his dagger (finesse weapon) to inflict sneak attack damage on his opponent. It's not super-effective, but it's certainly different and I've been having a lot of fun with it (as have my fellow players, who have affectionately dubbed him "the prison shanker").

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yep, I did a STR-based rogue with a similar direction. It worked out well in the long-run. You should enjoy it since Expertise in Athletics makes you a grappling beast. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Thanks for confirming that there may be some merit to this build! I look forward to playing him. I expect that I'll probably dip into some other classes at some point, but am unsure what those will be.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Depending on your ability scores and when you want to dip (and how deep), there are a lot of good options IMO for this concept.

Hope you enjoy it! I'd be interested in updates on how it comes along and what your experience is with it.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I'll update this thread as I continue to play Muscles, the Rogue (his actual name is Fezencloop). :)
He sounds like he was raised by gnomes! Hah.

But yes, Expertise in Athletics + high Str can make for a strong grapple-based build. I hadn't considered the auto-Advantage benefit in terms of Sneak Attack. Is there a Rogue subclass that particularly dovetails with this? Frankly, if there isn't one, I feel there should be.

Shiroiken

Legend
Agreed. I always felt like Rogue was missing a "Thug" subclass, so STR-based with appropriate features.

Maybe I'll homebrew one and see what you all think?
I think medium armor proficiency and sneak attack with the club, light hammer, and mace at level 3 would be a must. Beyond that... I got no idea.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Agreed. I always felt like Rogue was missing a "Thug" subclass, so STR-based with appropriate features.

Maybe I'll homebrew one and see what you all think?
Sounds like a plan. If you somehow have access to the content, you might want to check out the 4e Rogue class features. One of the options you could choose was the Brutal Scoundrel, a Str-based option. Most 4e characters had two prime stats, their overall main stat like Dexterity for Rogues or Charisma for Sorcerers, and a secondary stat chosen by what 5e would call their subclass, e.g. Artful Dodger Rogues wanted Charisma and Dragon Sorcerers wanted Strength. I don't recall what the features of the Brutal Scoundrel were, but they overall had a criminal thuggish implication IIRC.

Remove ads