D&D 5E My PCs are about to die...

zicar

First Post
And I'm toying with the idea that they all come back as ghosts. Has anyone else done something like this? I am running a 5e game with Minaria as the setting. The players are 4th level: a half-elf bard, human druid, human barbarian, dwarf cleric and high elf wizard. I have Ghostwalk, and while it has some good ideas, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

There's actually a 3.5 edition adventure called "Fires of Hell" that is played when the PCs die as a way to give them the chance to "fight" their way back. Someone converted it to 5E. I haven't played it, but I have read through it and seems really decent. So, you could try that. Might be more productive than having them come back as ghosts. :p

here is a link to where you can get a copy for FREE:
https://olddungeonmaster.wordpress.com/2014/03/24/new-module-fires-of-hell-for-dd-next/

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Oh, it's the PCs that are going to die. Well in that case, have you considered adjusting the difficulty of the encounter?

S

Sunseeker

A little more information would probably help here.

Do you want to possibly prevent your players from dying? That's not really hard. Just don't kill them.

Do you want to start a new adventure with the same characters as ghosts? Then: don't kill them, have them all "knocked out" and then kept physically alive for strange experiments while their souls are stuck in some kind of "other adventure" to find their way back.

hawkeyefan

Legend
And I'm toying with the idea that they all come back as ghosts. Has anyone else done something like this? I am running a 5e game with Minaria as the setting. The players are 4th level: a half-elf bard, human druid, human barbarian, dwarf cleric and high elf wizard. I have Ghostwalk, and while it has some good ideas, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I once did something similar...I took a bunch of different PCs that had died over the course of several campaigns, and I had them assembled in the afterlife by the proxy of a powerful good deity. They were sent on a "suicide" mission through the planes....one last chance at glory. If they failed, their souls would be destroyed forever, but if they succeeded...they'd live in forever in the afterlife of their choosing.

There was a lot more to it, and I think what made it work is that it was different characters from different campaigns. I don't know if killing the entire party and then immediately having them all return as ghosts or spirits would feel all that different or special.

I would say that if the PCs do die, then jump to a new group for a bit. Then down the road a ways, when there's a lull in the story, reintroduce the ghost characters. Best if you can somehow tie the ghosts in to the new characters in some way.

Remove ads