• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My playtest of new Mage (Essentials) spells

and still, damage is a lot more useful in 4e than it was in 3.x

Not every wizard wants to control... some just want to blast... controlling things is nice, but softening up every enemy by 10 - 30 points of damage helps strikers a lot...

and if everyone fires of that much damage in the first round: good bye enemies...

Last edited:

ObsidianCrane

First Post
Not every wizard wants to control... some just want to blast... controlling things is nice, but softening up every enemy by 10 - 30 points of damage helps strikers a lot...
Seriously, if you want to blast stuff play a sorcerer and choose powers appropriately you'll do more damage. I've never seen a Wizard noticeably swing a battle by damage, but I've seen them massively change them via control of the field.

Colmarr

First Post
I really wanted to try out Phantom Cage (single target vs will, 1d8+int psychic damage, "if the target moves before the end of your next turn, it takes 5 psychic damage") but didn't want to get into rules lawyering. From the wording, it seems to me that the target would take damage every time it moves, voluntarily or not, but I'm not sure that's clear.

Interesting. I read that the other way: "if" as a binary once-off proposition.

If it were meant to be every time the target moves, I would expect it to say "when", not "if".

Taed

First Post
I found during the Red Box Game Day that Beguiling Strands and Fountain of Flame work very well together. Either doing as you did with using BS to bunch them up and them FF them, or by using FF in one spot and then use BS every turn to move them back into the flame for the 5 damage. The FF lasting for the rest of the encounter is very powerful.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
PS2: I did a pdf with all the rituals, alchemy, and martial techniques sorted, except dark sun rituals. Is legal to post it here?

Sorry, but no. That's stuff is protected by WotC copyright, and we don't allow folks to distribute such. I've removed the attachment for you.

Carry on!

show me the area burst 3 power of the sorcere and i surrender... and tell me what an evocation wizard is all about if not blasting things. It is not that you should only blast things up. But it is really nice to be able to do it sometimes... not everyone wants to play an only control wizard (like illusionist or enchanter). You are taking the role thing too seriously...

http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/power.aspx?id=1615
show me a socerer power that matches this damage output...

sorry erf Beto.

My last word on this issue.

Last edited:

A fireball 'fix' I'm kind of fond of was thought up by someone else (I can't remember who).

Just add:

Effect: Target is knocked prone. Target can choose not to be knocked prone, in which case it takes ongoing 5 fire (save ends).

Remove ads