• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My playtest of new Mage (Essentials) spells

Stalker0

Legend
The problem with fireball isn't that its damage only, its that for a wizard its a crappy damage only spell.

The main reason is its a single blast, over and done with. Most good wizard dailies last the whole fight.

Look at the wizard's 1st level daily (Flaming Sphere).

The sphere does great autodamage that lasts the whole fight. I can kill minions with it, I can add terrible damage to a solo, or I can just roll through groups of monsters and do damage.

4e combats last long enough that the damage over time for Flaming Sphere is much greater than that of fireball, and you have less chance of scorching your friends.

I will also say that I considered fireball weak when I compare it to wizard dailies (who have the best dailies in the game) not to all dailies. If a sorc had fireball he would be happy.

But wizards get the really good dailies so its important to consider that (also the reason I didn't understand giving half effects to wizard encounter powers...I don't think they need it but that's another discussion).

Vael

Legend
You can pick a worst-case scenario and run with it, but I'm not sure that tells the whole tale. Sometimes I keep rolling very low or very high -- that doesn't mean Wand of Accuracy isn't good.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a nice ability, but I didn't want the assumption that it's the same as the Brutal property on weapons, because it's not.

Also, I'm just not sure if the school bonuses are superior to the Core Wizard's Arcane Implement Mastery and free Ritual Casting.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A fireball 'fix' I'm kind of fond of was thought up by someone else (I can't remember who).

Just add:

Effect: Target is knocked prone. Target can choose not to be knocked prone, in which case it takes ongoing 5 fire (save ends).

You could make it more action-movie-genre-appropriate by saying

Effect: target takes ongoing 5 fire (save ends), although target can choose to dive into a prone position as the fireball goes off, resulting in being prone but not subject to ongoing 5 fire.

It isn't as clearly written as yours, but it IS the classic action movie response to an explosion! :)

Zaran

Adventurer
I will also say that I considered fireball weak when I compare it to wizard dailies (who have the best dailies in the game) not to all dailies. If a sorc had fireball he would be happy.

You know they wouldn't have had this much heat if they had just made Fireball an encounter power. Fire Burst would have made a perfect fireball. My wizard changed fireball out as soon as she got Fire Burst.

Who ever heard of a wizard memorizing just one anyway?

Zaran

Adventurer
I do apologize for causing all this talk about fireballs. I was just wondering the level of Flame Fountain.

I think this another case of lower level powers being better than higher level ones.

Are there any summoning spells that a 1st level eWizard can get? I really can't stand Summon Fire Warrior.

Also, I'm just not sure if the school bonuses are superior to the Core Wizard's Arcane Implement Mastery and free Ritual Casting.

You know, it slipped my mind that essentials wizards don't get Ritual Casting for free. That's a great point. I stubbornly persist in liking rituals, even though I never seem to be able to actually cast them.

Are there any summoning spells that a 1st level eWizard can get? I really can't stand Summon Fire Warrior.

No summoning spells at any level, actually.

alastersan

Explorer
You know, it slipped my mind that essentials wizards don't get Ritual Casting for free. That's a great point. I stubbornly persist in liking rituals, even though I never seem to be able to actually cast them.

The problem is that i think they don't want to complicate the book with tons of rituals and its mechanic, i would suggest to your DM, if they like to use rituals that give the feat for free to the mage and priest. May be in the optional rules book next year you will have it.

the mage has enough features... so giving ritual for free is really not necessary... there are enough cheap ways to get it... (bard multiclass etc... e.g.)

Marshall

First Post
Seems that way to me, yes. "Mage" build wizards get all of the following benefits:
* Suggestion as an extra encounter power

Havent seen this mentioned but this isnt true. Suggestion is added to the list of Cantrips and then Mages get to select 3. Minor debuff to the class that explains the Prestidigitation change.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads