D&D 5E My powergamer players wants to be a bard.

Oh, and since the bard is almost certainly using a material component pouch to cast his spells, remember 3rd level thieves can run up to them, steal that bag of components as a bonus action using Fast Hands, and run away with it. Now all of a sudden you're playing a lute in battle to cast your spells...which can be easily broken with a swift chop of the axe if the bard doesn't knock off the overpowered stuff :)

Three things just occurred to me.

1. Casters should probably be carrying both a component pouch and a focus, so they have a backup.
2. Given how many spells have material components, why have I rarely seen anyone, PC or NPC, actually try to disarm casters by taking their component pouch? (3e or 5e)
3. I may have to start doing this (as DM or PC) just to check the feasibility of the tactic.

Paraxis

Explorer
Three things just occurred to me.

1. Casters should probably be carrying both a component pouch and a focus, so they have a backup.
2. Given how many spells have material components, why have I rarely seen anyone, PC or NPC, actually try to disarm casters by taking their component pouch? (3e or 5e)
3. I may have to start doing this (as DM or PC) just to check the feasibility of the tactic.

I know my characters have multiple foci and a component pouch just so DM's don't try this.
Arcan foci can pretty much be anything so rings, amulets, bracers and other hard to remove items.
Holy symbols can be worn, or etched into shields so make sure you get both.
And so on, but it is also a matter of trust. I normally trust my DM not to screw me over by taking away things like this, just like I don't expect people to steal spell books, or for them to get damaged if the characters have to go for a swim.

Jaelommiss

First Post

Because if you can get close enough to snag their material pouch, you can get close enough to cut their hands off? Or put a sword through their chest. That tends to work well too.

I hadn't even considered bards as a game breaking class. I'm going to have to keep an eye out if one of my players decides to play one.

Paraxis

Explorer
Umm... no they can't.

Arcane Focus.
An arcane focus is a special item; an orb, a crystal, a rod, a specially constructed staff, a wand-like length of wood, or some similar item designed to channel the power of arcane spells.

Crystals can be the part of other jewelry easy enough, wands and rods can be built into bracers, and "similar" item can cover almost anything. Gems and runestones are both commonly associated with arcane magic and "similar" to crystals, at least to me.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Arcan foci can pretty much be anything so rings, amulets, bracers and other hard to remove items

"An arcane focus is a special item— an orb, a crystal, a rod, a specially constructed staff, a wand-like length of wood, or some similar item— designed to channel the power of arcane spells...a spellcaster must have a free hand to access these"

All the items you named are substantially smaller than the items it needs to be similar to. Also, all the items you named are worn and attached, while all the items they need to be similar to must be held in the hand and accessible.

Therefore, the items you named are not similar enough to the items listed as arcane foci.

Uder

First Post
I think you're making up rules to win an argument on the internet, which is pretty cool. They need to match the prices and weights in the PHB (probably... ask your DM), and that's about it. Nothing about size.

Last edited:

Evenglare

Adventurer
Not wading through pages of stuff. To the OP, if you think the bard is going to get a spell that is gamebreaking ban it. It's seriously that simple. Just explain to the players that X power can not be obtained because of the potential game breaking experience. I don't quite understand people hesitating to ban spells. Everyone seems to be OK with banning classes and races but not magic itself. I just.. I don't think I'll ever know the reason for that. Back to the original point, I would also explain to the person in question that he can accept my changes or he can find another group, simple as that.

jadrax

Adventurer
I think you're making up rules to win an argument on the internet, which is pretty cool. They need to match the prices and weights in the PHB (probably... ask your DM), and that's about it. Nothing about size.

The Crystal has to weigh 1 lb. If you are wearing 1 lb earrings, good luck to you.

Remove ads