D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Dwarves have funny accents and something no human will ever be capable of: beards. (And any human you allege to have a beard is actually a dwarf of half-dwarf.)

Elves... I honestly don't know. They're either a wizard race of wizards or a ranger race of rangers and that's it.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
It's not that I can't see why people might find Halflnigs boring. I just don't see why there is a problem here exclusive to them.
The dwarven stereotype is a lot more malleable.

You can have stubborn dwarves to the point they write everything in a book of grudges, or celtic-themed gryphon riding dwarves, or stubborn fire-worshipping industrialists, and it all fits in that dwarf stereotype. Its just a lot easier to use and modify than the halfling one

The dwarven stereotype is a lot more malleable.

You can have stubborn dwarves to the point they write everything in a book of grudges, or celtic-themed gryphon riding dwarves, or stubborn fire-worshipping industrialists, and it all fits in that dwarf stereotype. Its just a lot easier to use and modify than the halfling one
You can make Dwarves into celtic creatures that ride Gryphons but you can't do anything with halflings?

Convince me.

What is the point of Dwarves if not their familiarity? If they're just short people with beards how is that really different to short people with hairy feet.

My personal experience is that if someone want's to play a halfling no one seems to mind if they're not pastoral Englishman who live in holes, because the appeal of playing a halfling is primarily the plucky short person who lives among big people, but people do mind if they want to play a Dwarf and it isn't what they expect. To the point that I might as well just make a new race.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
A couple in the previous handful of pages got very close to red text for making things personal. I'm warning the thread in general...

Remember something - perspective. You're talking about pretending to be short people with hairy feet. This is not momentous. There should be NO REASON to get personally insulting about this.

Keep it respectful.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
You can make Dwarves into celtic creatures that ride Gryphons but you can't do anything with halflings?

Convince me.

What is the point of Dwarves if not their familiarity? If they're just short people with beards how is that really different to short people with hairy feet.

My personal experience is that if someone want's to play a halfling no one seems to mind if they're not pastoral Englishman who live in holes, because the appeal of playing a halfling is primarily the plucky short person who lives among big people, but people do mind if they want to play a Dwarf and it isn't what they expect. To the point that I might as well just make a new race.
dwarves are fall out of favour with many people for such reasons but they did carve out a fan base and you can see how to use both the basic version in your setting and have a core that can be built on to more divergent answers, halflings lick much of a fan base or core to build from.

dwarves are fall out of favour with many people for such reasons but they did carve out a fan base and you can see how to use both the basic version in your setting and have a core that can be built on to more divergent answers, halflings lick much of a fan base or core to build from.
No I can't see.

what you do not know what the basic dwarf is and where you put them(in a kingdom under a mountain) or do you not know the core of dwarves?
I don't see any reason given to reconsider the opinion that led you to reply in the first place.

As I said to the other poster in the post you quoted: "convince me".
(Or don't as you wish, but I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads