• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the mordenkainen halfling lore is pretty weak, I just also don’t think it was needed. Halflings were fine in the phb.

And I like the 4e River nomad halfling, and I like you take. Great alternate halflings, I’d even be fine adding them both to the phb writeup. But shirefolk are the heart of the halfling concept, and I just don’t think there is actually a problem or contradiction or whatever in the shire halflings.
I think it comes down to that we just value different things about them as a race, where I'm more sensitive to their attributes and worldview, while you seem more interested in their geography and history.

And as I said before, I don't have a personal issue with shirefolk per se. I've actually argued vigorously in their defense on this board. That said, believing something is defensible isn't the same thing as believing something to be "essential". So, as a matter of taste, I think they're a fine and usable race in Shires, but I think they're better as nomads.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
But this is emphatically not what you are doing. When people are pointing out how halflings are actually used you seem to think it is some sort of rebuttal to say you have never seen that.

If what you wanted was halflings that were doing better than you currently are with halflings your response wouldn't be a dismissive "I've never seen that. Never" but a thankful "I've never seen that. From now on I will incorporate it into some of my halflings to make them more interesting."

"I've never seen that" is not a valid criticism if your goal is to make something better by adding breadth and depth to what the archetype is in your eyes. Indeed things you haven't seen flowing out of what is already there should be exactly how you make them more interesting.

My criticism isn't that I haven't seen them used that way. That was a response. I pointed out that there are very common "dark side" uses of the other races. So common that I have seen them used that way repeatedly over many different examples of media from comics to books to video games to DnD. When you put forth that the equivalent of that is halflings being gluttonous and slothful... my response is that I have never seen that.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, that that isn't how halflings are ever portrayed and that you have no idea what you are talking about. I'm saying that across a wide sweep of media, where I see these elements play out for other races, I have never once seen that played out for halflings.

Now, you seem to think that adding in slothful and gluttonous halflings would make them more interesting... but actually I don't think it would. I'm picturing what a buculic farming village of them would be like for adventurers to come upon and... it isn't exciting. The plot would be that the halflings are fat and don't care about anything outside their village? As opposed to them being plump and friendly and just focused on their own community in the village?

Those can make good traits for a character who is an antangonist (sort of, apathy only works as an antagonist trait for someone in a position of power) but to set it up as a wider spread problem for them to have a negative side just doesn't work very well.

And I don't see any actual need for there to be any non-humans. But they are there because they add something to the game.

Your counterpoint doesn't make sense in response to my point. I said I didn't see a need for a specific trope to be dialed up to 11 by a race, because that trope is fairly universal and it dialing up to 10 is plenty. You responded that you don't see the value in different races in the game at all.

Okay. Cool. So if you don't see the value in any race, why are you trying to argue that a specific race dialing a specific trope up to 11 is a good thing? It is like you are arguing that we absolutely must include the Estoc sword in the game, while simultaneously telling me that you see no value in including any swords at all.

Hi, elves!

Sure, there are a lot of times that I don't like elves. They are WAY overdone. But, simultaneously, I have seen many many really cool and inspiring takes on Elves. Takes that are still recognizable as Elves. I haven't seen that with halflings. They tend to be... exactly the same everywhere. An exception or two, but not nearly the variety you see with elves across literature.

And I want to remind you of the context. You were arguing for the "unlikely hero race". Elves are not the unlikely hero race. In the context of your argument, you were saying we need a race of people so unheroic, that they are the absolutely most unlikely heroes... which actually.... wouldn't that be goblins or kobolds? Races that are traditionally cowardly villians would be the most unlikely of heroes would they not? And they are small. And they can be Rogues. And they don't usually use a lot of magic. They seem to fit the requirements people have for halflings pretty easily.

And your refusal to take how anyone else sees halflings on board and engage with that in favour of thinking that because you haven't seen something it's not your personal halflings that are deficient and you should fix that doesn't endear me to want to continue this discussion.

Dude... I said it once. To a specific counterpoint.

Have you missed the fact that I had only posted on this thread like once or twice before you started trying to maul me to death with accusations? And the big post everyone is offended by is me saying that halfling characters aren't the only ones to be innocent, curious, friendly, and love the comforts of home.

Heck, no one even responded to my far more salient post about the absolute lack of halfling lore in the Forgotten Realms. And yet somehow I am not engaging with people's vision of halflings? You are just full bore attacking me over the most minor of things and seemingly have no interest in actually thinking that I might not be spitting upon the most holy of favorite races.

So what? Halflings turn some traits but not others up to 11 because they have a reasonable identity. Just like every other D&D race. Which is played by a human and takes human traits in different measures.

So when you said "human traits" you meant "specific human traits" not all of them? Because I read your post as trying to say that halflings were more human humans, which is why I responded they did.

If you point was more accurately that halflings start with little power then turn specific character traits up to 11.... yes, that is how race design works. That's what they did for gnomes, goblins, kobolds, ect ect ect. It is a non-point. Just like your accusation about everyone breathing air.

Part of the issue is that other than being short, the most of the exaggerated traits associated with halflings are... being good people. Which makes them a bit hard to work with because... they are just good people who have little lore and have left little impact on the world.

And that they make better playable gnomes than most gnomes. Gnome tricksters are a case of "everyone knows gnomes will be tricksters."

I don't follow this logic at all. If I wanted to play a gnome trickster, I should play a halfling because everyone expects a gnome to be a trickster? That doesn't follow at all. Being known to be a trickster is part of the point of playing a known trickster.

No, it's about playable races. Not everything in the world needs to be of great renown - in fact most people and things shouldn't be just as they aren't in the real world. There are more towns even in my own country that I've never heard of than ones I have. It

Then I think you are talking past people. Reading the 30+ pages in this thread before I got in it, I saw that it was largely about World Building. It was about Halflings just not having a really solid place in worldbuilding. They exist everywhere humans do and are basically short humans. What is the point of that?

And, to point to my actual first post in this thread, it specifically calls out that halfling culture doesn't exist. In the vast majority of cases, in the vast majority of settings, "halfling culture" is just human culture. And not in the "everyone has rubber foreheads" style, but in explicitly they state that they share housing styles, food, clothes, mannerisms, ect with the humans of wherever they are. And when I looked in the Forgotten Realms, the most overwritten setting and most popular setting in DnD for the single halfling culture they said was pure halfling.... there was no information on it. And it was destroyed.

That is a world-building issue. It isn't that they don't have great renown and not everyone has heard of the great halfling heroes. It is that the game tells us that in the game world, a halfling is just a short human. And that shouldn't be the case.

It's poking fun at things like the ridiculous civilization ages you often see.

You mean like the Bronze Age, Iron Age, Modern Age ect?

I get you might find those things ridiculous, but that doesn't mean everyone does. They can serve a rather important function of placing the setting within time.

D&D world building should be there to support the playable characters.

I agree, And there is no support for halflings.

That's because the claim that's the only way to experience those traits was entirely and completely a strawman you invented. And that you are doubling down on this strawman right here is the main reason I think you are posting in good faith. No one would post that obvious and embarrassing a strawman if they weren't serious.

sigh If it was a strawman, then Steel Dragons accusations were complete nonsense. I responded as though their accusations were serious arguments. Because if halflings aren't the only way to experience those traits, then why would you claim that everyone who is against halflings hates those traits?

Seriously, @steeldragons do you just have @doctorbadwolf and @Neonchameleon blocked? Is that why I'm getting all of these accusations thrown at me because they aren't seeing the context of that post? Because it seems like they are responding as though my response arose out of the aether with no connection to anything, and this is getting very tiresome.

There's a vast difference between emphasising something and something being the only way to experience something. Which is why I've been using the "turn up to 11" metaphor.

Sure, I agree.

The position I was responding to was asking why we all hate humble heroes who fight to defend their friends in favor of edgelords and anime supermen. What sense does it make to make that accusation if your point isn't that critiquing halflings means you hate humble heroes? How is my response that humble heroes are more than halflings somehow indicative of the fact that I completely ignore why people like halflings and deserve to be mocked and verbally assaulted because I am doing nothing but arguing strawmen?

Go back. Read Steeldragon's post. And consider that if they didn't believe that halflings were the source of humble heroes, how much sense their accusations make and then consider if they DID mean that, how valid my response was

The way you keep posting strawmen and denying the experience of others and the advice of others in favour of your really really boring take on halflings is making it hard to care. You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard boiled egg.

Since you aren't @doctorbadwolf I don't know why you are telling me why he is pissed at me because of my arguments. Maybe you should let him speak for himself? I mean, I was responding to him telling me I pissed him off, not you telling me that I pissed you off. Not even sure why you felt the need to respond to this.

And when we tell you things you just say you've never seen them.

Once. I said that once. To a specific point. And again, perhaps you aren't able to see who I am responding to, but Doctorbadwolf responded repeatedly with answers that led nowhere. Such as "no" or "oof" to entire paragraphs. Which, makes it very hard for me to respond at all.

Which again... isn't your problem. I was talking to him about how he was responding. I don't think he needs you to white knight for him and come to his defense to tell me how terrible of a person I am.

As I have pointed out halfings are the more popular race of the two and the thematics of gnomes are frequently self defeating. If one of the two goes it's the gnomes that belong on the chopping block. Halflings can thematically do just about anything their less popular cousins with a more messed up identity can - but gnomes lack the expectation of being over matched and can only reinforce about half the Halfling traits.

I went back and looked at that chart actually, and I had a curious thought. The vast majority of the halflings on that popularity chart were rogues. The vast majority of gnomes on that chart were wizards.

Now, wizards are very powerful, but the vast majority of wizards were humans and elves. And they were only the 3rd most popular class on that list. Behind Rogues by close to 1,500 entries. Halflings beat gnomes by only about 500.

Now, think about the game state. Which is the more valuable stat? Dexterity or Intelligence? It is dexterity. That is why we refer to it as "The God Stat"

I think that it is fair to say that halflings didn't beat gnomes. +2 Dexterity and them being the default choice for rogues, the second most popular class in the game, beat Gnomes. Also note, this survey came out before the Artificer. The only other primary INT class in the game.

Meanwhile, when I look outside of DnD to the wider world of fantasy... most of the short people I see fall much much closer to gnomish archetypes than they do Halfling Archetypes... which are basically either jolly tavernkeeper or happy farmer. Even Gnomish rogues... work. Incredibly well actually. Bandit Keynes is a character who I greatly enjoyed, and she is a gnome, though you would have no way of knowing that until she went home to her city where there was a lot of clockwork machinery.

I also don't think Gnomes have a "messed up identity" at all. They have two very distinctive lifestyles, but that isn't a bad thing. You basically have Forest Gnomes and City Gnomes, and that works perfectly fine.

Until you stop starting with blatant strawmen?

Again, not talking to you. I'm sure Doctorbadwolf can defend himself just fine. You don't need to shield him from my questions.

This is a problem? Variation and nuance - while playing up the Halfling fragility by putting them side by side with dinosaurs.

You complain halfings are too one note then complain when anything is said that doesn't fit your cookie cutter view of halflings

And drow are different to wood elves.

Um... no? Maybe you should read Doctorbadwolf's post more closely. I was saying that Talenta halflings are very different from the normal depiction (the thing you say I refuse to acknowledge.) and he scoffed and said that Jorasco and Ghallanda halflings ARE Talenta halflings.

To which I said... no, they aren't. They are, to borrow your other example. kind of like Drow and Surface elves. No one is going to sit here and tell me that Drow and Surface Elves are the same people. Saying there are massive cultural differences between Drow and Surface elves should be self-obvious.

And, what did they lose from the halfling to make the Talenta halfling? The farming lifestyle. The friendliness to strangers. The innocence and trusting nature. The unexpected hero archetype. All of the things that people are clamoring make the halfling who they are and that they love about halflings is what was stripped out of the Talenta Halfling. They are fierce warriors who are quite territorial, with ancestor and spirit worship and a nomadic lifestyle. They are almost ANTI-halfling. What is the other most unique version of halflings? Darksun cannibals. What did they strip out of the halfling to make them.... all of the exact same traits.

So, going off of the traits that people tout, the humble unexpected hero who is overmatched by the world coming from a simple farming life of bucolic simplicity... Darksun and Talenta halflings are the exact opposite. They are fierce, dangerous forces living a tribal lifestyle and coming into constant conflict with the outsiders who are bigger than them. They don't share anything with the base halfling. Except that they are all short.

Chaosmancer

Legend
No one but you thinks this, as far as I can tell.

Why are you assuming this?

Because if I assume that is not the case, then @steeldragons post that I was responding to doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And since you and @Neonchameleon are so adamant about tearing into me about strawmanning, either you are seeing something completely different in their post, or you aren't seeing it at all. And I'm not sure which it is anymore.

Because if I assume that is not the case, then @steeldragons post that I was responding to doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And since you and @Neonchameleon are so adamant about tearing into me about strawmanning, either you are seeing something completely different in their post, or you aren't seeing it at all. And I'm not sure which it is anymore.
@steeldragons hasn't posted in this thread for almost 300 posts right now. The strawman that started this tangent was one which was a completely non-sensical in response to either anything he or @doctorbadwolf had said. Steeldragons' post makes perfect sense in that halflings emphasize certain traits. Your ridiculous question about whether that's the only way to experience such things comes from out of nowhere. And remember that this started out with you misinterpreting both doctorbadwolf and steeldragons.

If you're not sure which it is then take it from those of us who are still engaging with you. It's that you pulled something seemingly out of nowhere and keep doubling down.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just wish snotty people like u would not start this stuff on boards. You definitely wouldn’t insult an ethnic group like that. Some of us give a damn about those that serve and their country.
Keep the language “Grandma friendly” and the personal name calling off the boards, as per the ToS, please.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not really. It if you have no respect for the American military and those that serve our nation please don’t come here or leave if your are. I will give your nation the same respect. We highly respect and value those that serve our nation and have given their lift for us. Not to mention the many wounded and disabled. We don’t see them the way that piece of crap describes them. If you want to antagonizing me about those wonderful men and my beloved nations that no and many of my family i and friends served. Go right ahead.
Let me be more direct: the approach you’re taking makes things more difficult for your friendly neighborhood moderators.

Stop making things personal. Stop with the name-calling. If you think someone is THAT out of line, do not engage them, report them.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Not quite. What you're being told is that these are some of the traits that help define halflings, and that these traits are enough to justify their place in the worlds of DnD.

No, that was not what Steeldragon was saying. They didn't even mention halflings until their third paragraph break, and they started by lamenting the fact that this list of traits was somehow unheroic, and said, to directly quote word for word "Clearly if one isn't a moody broody dark misunderstood antihero, or some manganime uber-powered and proportioned mega-man, there's just no point to going on adventures or playing a fantasy RPG."

Tell me how that is a defense that halflings are justified in the world and not an attack that says that if you are against their position then you are against all of those traits? And then the MAJORITY of their post was devoted to their own homebrew.

No. For the, what...3rd time? No. You are inventing the idea that a race needs to be or even can be the only way to experience a trait in order for it to be a valid playable race trait that defines the race. How unique to halflings a given trait is does not matter. No other race is defined by the same combination of traits, aesthetic, and ethos, that defines halflings. More importantly, halflings are a people that many players really enjoy, some players so much so that they rarely play anything else. That is literally enough to justify their place in the game.

I mean, you keep adding things in your reply that weren't in the text you replied to, so...yes.

I am not adding anything, except the additional traits you decided to throw onto the list. Which, since you did not refute their thesis that being against halflings means that you are against those personality traits... doesn't change anything.

I didn't invent this point. That was their complaint. IF that was not their complaint, then why did they devote the entire first part of their post to how this list of traits is somehow unheroic now and that lament that somehow the only way people play fantasy adventures is either dark and moody or JRPG Anime. What sense does their post make in a thread about halflings, if they were not trying to draw this connection that you are telling me I am making up?

Okay.

How do you read that in what you quoted? Discussing things with you sometimes feels like I'm trying to communicate in two languages and neither of us is fluent in either. I don't know how else to describe it. I genuinely do not experience this outside of enworld, and even here only with a handful of posters, so its just very frustrating.

The statements that you are choosing to take that way are actually saying that halflings don't need anything beyond those traits to justify their place, to be a worthwhile PC race.

Except you keep misrepresenting the point in order to argue against the weakest possible version of it.

No, I'm not really misrepresenting it. I mean, you seem to be arguing from a point that says I want to get rid of halflings. I have never really said that in this thread. I've said I find them uninteresting. I've said that I've seen a larger trend in fantasy to subsume them into gnomes, because they seem to lack a solid identity. But I don't think I have ever once said "And I want to remove halflings from DnD!"

Before you started responding to me, I made two posts. The first post was the result of me realizing that I could not remember the mythological origin story for halflings. So I went looking in the Forgotten Realms Wiki. The Forgotten Realms is one of the most over-written and popular settings in DnD, so I figured it was a good place. And I found nothing. I really found basically no foundational or cultural lore for halflings at all. So, I posted that. I posted that I found nothing, and that what very little I did find basically said that halflings don't have these things.

My second post was responding the accusations of steeldragon. And you immediately started attack me for how, I guess, this list of traits means that halflings should exist. Because... character traits justify a race? That is a bizarre arguement. That would mean I should be able to justify a thousand new races just by assigning them character traits. But, I suspect your argument is supposed to be more nuanced than that. Or maybe you don't feel like you need to do more with your argument, because halflings have been "established" for a while.

But, part of the issue people have is that their "establishment" is mostly... that they exist. They are short humans who live in human lands and act mostly like humans, maybe with a bit of the gnomes child-like wonder of the world. Most of their other traits seem fairly generic, and they don't have any solid myths or lore or anything to hook onto. I devoted an entire character and cult to a hook in Gnome Mythology from the Forgotten Realms. I can't seem to do that with halflings. There aren't any hooks I can find.

Welp. if you really can't see any way in which you might possibly have misunderstood their point, even by reading what else they've said ITT and comparing, then we probably aren't going to get anywhere.

What do you mean what else they said? They only posted once in this entire thread. Literally. I did a search of the thread, they only have a single post.

Are you expecting me, who quite literally said in the very first post that I made in this thread that I had been gone for a few months, to have searched the entire forum to read every post by this poster just in case there was extra context? No. I didn't go looking for other threads to compare their post to. I responded to their post in this thread, and that was it.

lol no. It's not my fault your behavior caused a reaction. You add things to people's arguments when you reply to them, rather than replying to what they said and only what they said. It's disrespectful.

I added nothing except an assumption that they were making an argument for halflings and against people who don't like halflings. That was my only addition to their post.

If they didn't mean in their argument to imply that people who disagree with them about halflings hate humble heroes, then they made an incredibly poor argument. And if your reaction to me saying that is anger, then I'm really confused about where this anger comes from.

Especially since, in terms of disrespect, laughing at other people's arguments and rolling your eyes, as you have done on multiple of my posts, is not only disrespectful, but explicitly the mods have told people not to do so. So, maybe, you should show a little respect yourself, as you berate someone for being disrespectful.

For example, you've added the bolded to what I said. It isn't present in any statement I've ever made, and yet you're replying to my statements as if this nonsense you've added is the crux of my position.

Halflings allow people into their inner circle more readily than both real life humans, and fake fantasy races. There are human communities like that, and families, and people, but in general humans need to be taught to do that, because our instinct is toward some amount of tribalism. Halflings instinct is to consider an "outsider" to just be a person they don't know yet, just as capable of being someone they'll love as a brother in a few years as someone they'll have to fight in a few minutes. Basically, they give strangers a fair shake more readily.

I'm fine with clarifying that, but the part Ibolded in your reply is just...a total non-sequitor from what I said.

Okay, but 'giving strangers a fair shake" isn't "fierce loyalty". This is the disconnect. You are saying one thing, but then defining it differently. Halflings being open and kind to strangers I can agree with, but that isn't being loyal. Loyalty is meant as honoring a bond between people. You can be loyal to family. Loyal to country. Loyal to friends. You can't be loyal to someone you don't have a connection with, because loyalty requires that connection as part of the definition.

If your point is that halflings make these bonds easier than other races and then they are loyal to those connections... then doesn't that circle back to making friends easier and being loyal to your friends? The very thing you railed against me saying?

This is where the confusion is. You don't seem to be using Loyal in a way that fits the definition of loyal, if your various points about being upset at me "adding" to your argument are to be believed.

Nope. Their post made perfect sense, without saying that at all. @steeldragons can correct me if I'm wrong, but what they were saying is that halfings have those traits, and even if that is all there is to halflings, that is plenty to make a compelling playable race, and none of the other stuff that defines other races is needed. The game doesn't need every race to be some combination of the traits they listed that you're somewhat hyperbolising (maybe consider that hyperbole is...bad for communication, actually?), eg edgelords or super-men, in order to be a good PC race. A race can just be quiet, friendly, curious, humble, folks. That is a good PC race concept.

Then why did they start by lamenting the fact that those traits were considered unheroic? Why did they state that, to again directly quote them word for word, "Clearly if one isn't a moody broody dark misunderstood antihero, or some manganime uber-powered and proportioned mega-man, there's just no point to going on adventures or playing a fantasy RPG."

I even bolded a section for you. To rearrange the sentence, "Clearly there is no point in playing a fantasy RPG if one isn't a moody, broody, dark misunderstood antihero, or some manganime, uber-powered and proportioned mega-man" Those are all his words. His argument.

You want to say that he is saying that because he things that halflings make a good race, but that isn't what he actually said. He was talking solely about PCs and dividing them into three camps, with everything except the two I listed above being put forth as the reason for the halfling.

My post was quite literally just saying, that you can play something other than an edgelord or anime character without playing a halfling. Without even liking halflings. In fact, you can not like halflings and feel like they are a weak race thematically, and still play a humble character who fights only to defend and enjoys the comforts of home.

Did I say "therefore halflings should be deleted from the game"? No. I didn't say that. I just said that their argument was bad. That's it. Their argument that being against halflings means being against all characters who are "quiet, friendly, curious, humble, folks" is wrong.

You can play, again, every archetype with any race. This is not a valid argument for or against any race, ever. It's completely irrelevant.

Then why was the above claim that being against halflings meant not seeing the point in playing the game unless you are an edgelord or anime character made?

The gruff tough guy with a heart of gold is the point of dwarfs, depsite that being something you can do with literally any race, too.

And I would never try and argue for keeping dwarves just because they are gruff, tough guys with a heart of gold. Because it would be a poor argument.

Not at all. Explicitly. In the text you claim to have read and so are apparently just ignoring. It is explicitly normal for halflings to go adventuring in their youth and then settle down to start a family afterward.

I see. So, every single halfling in the entirety of the world goes on adventures.

Why then does the text tell us things like halflings who show a wanderlust are referred to as having "fancy feet". That wanting to go beyond the limits of the community is seen as odd, and some villagers try and persuade the halfling in question to not leave?

I mean, if it was common and expected for every halfling to leave the village, they wouldn't need a special name for it and see it as unusual, would they? It would seem to me, that if you have a special term for the rare individual that wants to leave the community... that they would be unusual, or odd, not common place.

It is part of their lore by long tradition that while they love comfort and good food, they're quite capable of being happy without it. It's explicitly part of lore, part of their longtime tradition, and even part of their mechanics, that they aren't overmuch ruled by fear.

Halflings are perfectly illustrated in The Lord of The Rings. Some of them wanted to stay home but couldn't once they knew their friend had to leave home to go on a dangerous quest, while others were eager to leave and see more of the wider world, and Frodo was fairly well split between them. And one of them did stay, and doesn't appear in the film, of course, though he had his own adventure back home in the meantime.

The point is, halflings are the first 20 minutes of Fellowship, all parties and food and fine smoking herbs in their comfy homes, and they are Mariadoc Brandybuck screaming Death! right alongside the Rohirrim before charging into battle. They are Samwise waxing philosophical about potatoes and Samwise routing a tower full of orcs with nothing but a sword and a bright light of hope to save his best friend.

If all you see when you read that is, "well humans could do all that too" then this entire discussion is completely pointless, because you're just not going to ever get it, no matter what any of us say.

No, actually what I was thinking was that you listed off four people who were considered odd by the community to be paragon examples of what the community represents. After all, I can't really imagine Samwise or Frodo screaming DEATH! and riding with Rohirrim, or most of the population of the Shire. And, I'm also a bit baffled why in showing "these are fine halflings, truly representing what DnD has done with them" you put to Hobbits from the Lord of the Rings.

Can you give me some... halflings, from DnD? Not kender like Tasslehoff Burrfoot. Are there particularly notable halflings in the game? I'm honestly not aware of very many of them. I think Regis was one, he was from the Crystal Shard. A thief and conman who got over his head in the city and fled north. Doesn't really sound anything like Frodo or Sam.

What vehemence? I didn't get vehement at all until you'd replied directly to me.

I only replied to you, when you started attacking my critique of Steeldragon. Quite literally my post critiquing them is #642 and you replied on #643. Starting with your very first line being "You are off base on every single claim in this post."

You then accused me of strawmen, said "Bologna. You keep reducing halflings from what is actually written about them and then claiming they are bad because they're only the one thing. " which, I will remind you was in response to me SECOND POST on this thread. So, I'm not sure how I "keep reducing them" when I'd only posted twice. And rolled your eyes at me.

So, you started off this entire conversation incredibly aggressively, right out of the gate.

-flat stare- You described 3 races. Out of a hundred or so. And then acted like you had shown that the majority of races fit the mold you are describing. And then when I challenged that you acted like I was speaking against irrefutable evidence in the form of...your description of the flaws of 3 races.

Four of the major races of the game. Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Gnomes. Tielfings are variant humans and their story is rather obvious. Half orcs and Half elves are half-human and their stories are really more about the interactions between the two races.

That means out of the Player's Handbook I have covered 8 out of the 9 races.

Sure, I guess I could talk about the monstrous races, but again, aren't they self evident? Do we need to discuss Orcs, Goblins, Kobolds, Lizardfolk, Yuan-ti, Minotaurs, Drow, Duergar Bugbears or Hobgoblins? Genasi and Aasimar are also just variant humans, so I don't think we need to discuss them, and again, their story is fairly obvious.

So, yeah. I didn't want to discuss every single race in the entire game. Partially because this is an issue with prominence as well. Halflings are one of the Big Four. I shouldn't need to compare them to something like Tortles. Tortles aren't prominent, they don't really matter much to the state of world-building, because most people don't play them or think about them. But halflings are supposed to be a big deal.

I mean, if we ended up ranking it, and a member of the Big Four is in the 20's in terms of complexity of presentation and lore.... doesn't that kind of prove my point that their lore is very lacking? If you need to say "but you didn't discuss every possible race in the game, so how can you say halflings are bad" when they are supposed to be one of the most important races in the game... that's a problem.

So, Uldra defines Talenta halflings completely, but Ghallanda doesn't count. Oookay.

Not what I said at all. You are adding to my argument.

Well, no, obviously not. The fact that there is a faction of halflings that want to change Talenta's culture to be a closed culture with closed borders does not mean that Talentan Halflings are not welcoming and hospitable. Especially when that faction only has any traction because they just got out of a 100 year long war they had no actual stake in where people kept trying to force them out of their own land.

Is it a change? It seems to me that the idea of the hook is that the halflings are split on the issue. It seems to my reading to be that if Talenta halflings were as open and friendly as you seem to want to say they are, that they would view Uldra as a radical, not as a figurehead of a faction that is potentially defining their entire culture for generations to come.

Gallanda is a halfling family. They started as and still are part of Talenta culture, though much of the house no resides outside of it and includes people who've never been to the plains. The core of the house is still Talenta Halflings. Their whole thing developed out of Talenta culture and it's focus on hospitality. None of the dragonmarks are total non-sequitors with the people they deveopled on. The closest to such a thing are Finding, Detection, and Storm, but even they don't contradict the culture or nature of the people they developed on. Ghallanda isn't some wild cultural aberration.

So can you find any mention of how Ghallanda handles their dinosaur mounts? Perhaps something about how the house honors the spirits and their ancestors?

Can you find ANYTHING that connects them to the Talenta plains at all, beyond this idea that because Ghallanda are halflings and about hospitality, that therefore Talenta halflings must be all about hospitality? Because, I will remind you, the book explicitly states this "The halflings who migrated across Khorvaire in the company of humans ended up looking very human in dress, manners, and customs. Their cousins who remain in the Talenta Plains could hardly appear more different."

Ghallanda? They were halflings who migrated across Khorvaire with the humans. That is why the joke point in the mark of hospitality preparing them for the arrival of humans. They are stated to explicitly be incredibly different from their cousins in Talenta. So, why should I assume that their hospitality is a feature that is shared, when nowhere in the Eberron book it states this as a fact?

Yes! Just like how the Medani are very much a khoravar house, who remain part of khoravar culture and work to better to situation of their folk, every halfling faction in Khorvaire has lasting and important ties to Talenta, has family there, are still part of the tribes. There are individual halflings within those factions who don't care, and halflings who are totally detached from their people's past and just think of themselves entirely as Brelish or Aundairian or whatever, but these larger groups are, as groups, part of branching geneologies of related cultures, all tied back to Talenta, and Gatherhold.

Okay, there is a HUGE difference between the most powerful group of half-elves in a society where half-elves band together because they don't receive any cultural support from their elven ancestors, and the idea that somehow all halflings are connected to Talenta, when explicitly they are not.

Yes, Ghallanda upkeeps the city of Gatherhold, that is an important tie between the Talenta halflings and the House. But that does not mean that the house and the Talenta halfings share a culture. And it completely ignores House Jorasco, who doesn't have any connection to the plains that I could find whatsoever.

A failing of that book, as good as it is, is that it simplifies a lot about the people of Eberron, and sometimes what they chose to simplify ends up giving the wrong impression.

This is also a tangent, I hope you realise. Even if we look at Ghallanda halflings as wholly separate from Talenta halflings, and we shouldn't, we still end up several cultures of halflings who have common threads with eachother.

The fact that some halflings are bascially just short Brelanders or whatever isn't even unique. Every race is like that. Even the monstrous races have some small numbers who just think of themselves as Brelish or Thranish or whatever, and don't care about Drooam or Dhakaan outside of how they effect their own home country. That's a big part of Eberron.

But every culture that is a halfling culture, has some version of lack of friendliness, quiet strength, and willingness to fight hard and without fear for their homes and fellows.

The only halfling culture in Eberron that is explicitly halfling is Talenta. They don't have a "quiet strength" they have a rather explicit strength. Fighting hard and without fear? Yep, I'll give you that. But... does that describe a Jorasco house, willing to fight hard without fear? I'm not saying they are scared, but they are healers, not warriors.

And "friendliness" is just... generic. Most races are rather friendly across the multiverse. The exceptions are notable.

They conspired to take his wealth several times.
And hobbits are part of the history of lore of halflings.

Yes they are part of the history of the race. That doesn't mean that they are the same race. That doesn't mean I should be familiar with the Sackville-Bagginesses to have an idea about the dark side of halflings. It seems like people want to rely on the hobbits and Tolkien to prop up the Halflings. But, I feel like that is the wrong way to take it. We don't rely on Tolkien for supporting elves, dwarves or orcs. They became their own things.

This is why I don't like people referring to Hobbit lore to defend halflings. The very fact they find it neccessary is a mark against halflings.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I don't mind halflings. They're pretty maleable and easy to use across all sorts of genres and tones. I don't know why people focus so much on specific lore. In my experience, you can make halflings into river people or transhumance highland sheepherders (they have big shaggy sheepdogs that they ride around on) and they still come out feeling like a recognisable variation of the same core. 5e lore may have taken them back to hobbits because 5e was, on release, the lets go back to the roots game, but it comes after Dark Sun and Kender, and 3e's take on Halflings and 4e.

Compare them to Dwarves. As soon as you take the Dwarves out of western europe style fantasy they start feeling stretched thin. It's really hard to make Dwarves not boing and have them still be recognisably Dwarves.

See, I've seen a few different types of Dwarves that are different and still dwarves. Fewer times than I've seen it done with a few other races, but when it comes to haflings it gets... muddled.

There have been a few times that I'm honestly not sure if they are referencing halflings or gnomes. The biggest difference seems to be the tech angle, which isn't even something that every single gnome does.

Chaosmancer

Legend
@steeldragons hasn't posted in this thread for almost 300 posts right now. The strawman that started this tangent was one which was a completely non-sensical in response to either anything he or @doctorbadwolf had said. Steeldragons' post makes perfect sense in that halflings emphasize certain traits. Your ridiculous question about whether that's the only way to experience such things comes from out of nowhere. And remember that this started out with you misinterpreting both doctorbadwolf and steeldragons.

If you're not sure which it is then take it from those of us who are still engaging with you. It's that you pulled something seemingly out of nowhere and keep doubling down.

You know the entire reason Doctorbadwolf was responding to me was because he was telling me how wrong I was for responding to Steeldragons, right?

Literally, I posted at #641 and #642 and then they responded at #643 against my position. If you feel like I took something out of nothing, then we should refer back to the post I was responding to. I posted direct quotes of it a few times. Showing... pretty much that they said what I claimed they had said. Explicitly.

He didn't say halflings emphasize certain traits. He said that it seemed for those who disagree with them that there is no point in playing the game unless you are an edgelord or an anime character. They were either making a nonsense post applying to nothing, or they were insinuating that halflings are the ONLY race that is not like that. Or that somehow the reason people don't like them is because we don't believe in humble heroes.

You can disagree with me that other races can hold those traits. You can disagree with me that you don't need halflings to play those characters. But if you agree with those two things... then why are you arguing against what I said? Because that was my argument that I was told, by Doctorbadwolf "You are off base on every single claim in this post."

That was my claim that they said was off-base.

Faolyn

(she/her)
OK, guys, how about this:

I think we can all agree that halflings don't have a huge amount of canonical culture. In both 2e "Complete Book" series and 5e's Mordie's Foes, they shared time with gnomes. They, unlike every other PC race, don't have a racial foe (which isn't a bad thing, at least for those of us who dislike the idea of Always Evil races), and don't have an origin myth (IIRC, Yondalla didn't create halflings; she found them and claimed them. I could be wrong, though).

Sooo.... how's about instead of complaining about whether or not they have a purpose, y'all take what you know about them and add stuff until they become as interesting as other races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads