• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Rant Apology & Sell Me Flat Math

Dragoslav

First Post
I hadn't even thought about poison and other such effects and their implications. If the only (or main) thing that separates higher and lower-level characters is HP and damage, and HP is supposed to largely represent non-direct hits, then the explanation falls apart when you have a swarm of low-level poisonous insects attacking a higher-level fighter, "missing" him but wearing away his endurance (passing his AC and wearing down his HP) but still poisoning him (which would require physical contact).

I'm also skeptical of whether they can adequately balance things so that a level 20 (or whatever) can't be killed by a bunch of city guards, but that adventurers strong enough to kill said demon will still be challenged by an adequate number of lower-level monsters?

Even if they can work the numbers so magically that a 10th-level fighter is still challenged by 10 level 1 orcs, if you have 5 PCs in a party, what DM wants to manage 50 orcs to present a reasonable challenge for that party?

I LOVE the idea of flatter math, but I have no idea how they're going to accomplish their stated goals.

Yeah, the Natural Armour Values were an abomination.
No, they were another layer of abstraction on top of the already abstract HP, AC and weapon damage systems.

That being said, I'm thinking flatter math is a good idea, if only for the fact that it supports having fewer bonuses to keep track of, which to me can only be a good thing.

Herschel

Adventurer
Once again, there is no such thing as improving to hit with level. The only thing that happens is that monsters become obsolete, but your chance to hit to equal level CR creatures remain static. You level, your attack increase, but the AC from higher level monsters also increase. It's like running on a threadmill.

This is a flat out distortion, at best. While it may "obsolete" certain monsters, it also opens up monsters of greater magnitude. A first-level character facing a Balor should be pulped without effort, all but unable to even scratch the thing. The "epic" level character should be able to pound it fairly regularly while common orcs should be trivial. With enough orcs needing say, an 18-20 to hit the character, they should be grabbing Advantage, charging and the shear number of attempts will gain a useful threat. If you want elite orcs, have elite orcs but mooks are also a D&D staple.

I'm okay with flatter math, but too flat has too many flaws for my tastes.

Last edited:

Steely_Dan

First Post
Yeah, I think overall your attack bonus is your ability score modifier, and the odd rare bonus here or there, so a +1 magic weapon would be huge.

I dig it, so your 1st level fighter that starts with +6 to hit, won't end up at 20th level with +41 to hit or what-have-you (but he will have a lot more HP, damage output, and special abilities/attacks).

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I fully agree with that. However, the designers are trying to acomplish that using other game stats. At 15 level, your fighter will have maybe 1d8+15 damage, so he kills goblins when he hit (and demons have maybe 2000 hp). Your fighter will have 4 attacks per turn, and will have the "reaper" feat (so kill goblins even on a miss), and he might have the "Cleave" feat (so get an extra attack when he kills one) and maybe the "flashing blades" maneuver, that allow him to attack every creature in his reach.

I'm pretty sure there will be *some* scalability in the attack bonus. It's not going to be 100% flat. We haven't seen higher levels, or magic items yet. It's quite probable a fighter gets some "weapon focus" improvements to hit through levels, and maybe to AC too, but it seems it's going to be something you get through class features/feats/themes etc. Not a direct assumption by level. In 3e, 4e (and other editions), a 20th level wizard, who has NEVER used a sword (much less trained with it) has a much better base attack than a 2nd level samurai with weapon focus in katana, only because of level.
I think there will be some scaling, too. I really, really hope high level doesn't look like "1d8+15 damage vs 2,000 hit points" as the balancing measure, even with four attacks per round plus maneuvers. But, that's personal preference.

Let's see how they design it. So far it seems an elegant design (adventage/disaventage is just pure genius imho), although it's too soon to draw conclusions.
Yep, totally agreed. I was just saying I like some progression because of what it represents within the fiction, and that I'm not sure how much I like the idea of hit points doing all the fictional heavy lifting that AC/attacks used to fulfill as well (when you have issues like poisoned attacks and falling damage). But, yes, let's see how it plays out for the next few months before rushing to any conclusion. As always, play what you like :)

Anyway, I like your point about having a certain attack bonus mean something in the game world. I do think that more tightly controlled math will better achieve that-- somebody above uses the example of a 20th-level 3e wizard who's better with a sword than a 2nd-level samurai with weapon focus, just because the wizard has a natural BAB progression, and it sounds like 5e is trying to move away from that by giving fighters bonuses with weapons and casters bonuses with magic rather than a universal BAB system. I think it makes sense in the gameworld that warriors would get better with weapons, and casters better at magic, rather than both getting better at "attacking" in general. Mechanically speaking I believe they will try to represent this through concrete bonuses (the fighter gets a "Weapon Training" bonus at level 5 or something, for example) rather than a generalized improvement progression, so you can say specifically, "My fighter has a +6 to attack because of his Strength, his specialization in longswords, and his weapon training." (They addressed some similar ideas in the chat yesterday, talking about specific race and class bonuses to damage and AC, but I'm guessing the same will apply to the modest to-hit progression.)
Right. I just hope that the attack bonus progressions are meaningful enough in play, feel-wise. It's a hard target to peg, in all honesty. I just don't like the idea of "I hit 20% more often, because I'm maximum level" as a solution. That 20% will add up, for sure, especially with the higher damage at high level doing the heavy fictional lifting for what a "hit" is. However, I do have some reservations about hit points filling this role within the game.

I'm not sure what to say to your poison example; that's a clever and interesting argument that I hadn't thought of. My mental fiction tends to be that every hit is actually a landed blow (it just feels more exciting in my head like that, or if I'm describing actions as DM) and higher HP means more ability to shrug that off or tough it out. So in that case a poisoned dagger would hit on a hit and put more poison in your system, but your higher HP would mean the same amount of poison just doesn't affect you as much. Or maybe you're just better at turning the blow so you get nicked by the non-poisoned part. Not perfect, I know. If anything, my best guess is that 5e will have a system like you suggested where different poisons have different HP thresholds based on their potency, a la the spells we've seen.
I'm guessing that it will be the case for poison. For falling damage? I'm not as sure. Being set on fire? Not as sure. Falling onto lava? Not as sure. Being immersed in acid? Not as sure. Hit points have always had a hiccup in this area in D&D, and moving the heavy fictional position of dodge/deflection to hit points means that you're going to get heavy hiccups in situations where HP damage is dealt, but dodging/deflecting isn't much of an option (like the above scenarios).

But, again, I'm interested to see how it works out. If it ends up working well, and they end up having patch mechanics that seem clean in-play (like HP thresholds), then I guess it's fine, and I'll be happy.

Though, to be honest, I still have reservations with HP mechanics. Take the Sleep spell, with its 10 HP-threshold. It can only affect creatures with 10 HP or lower. Okay. The Wizard, I assume, knows this before he casts it. The creature needs to be weak or it needs to be beaten down some first. Do creatures actually need to be beaten down first, since any creature that has 1 HP or more automatically heals overnight (because that wasn't "real wounds" yet)? Does that rule only apply to PCs, and, if so, is there a way for him to judge just how beaten down someone needs to be? Can he assess a creature's hit points in the game to know that it's safe to use his spell? Is this a purely metagame mechanic ("if they're at or above 10 HP, just pretend they made the save in-game, but let a player know when the creature falls lower than a certain HP threshold")? If so, will the large majority of players in the playtest be okay with that?

I just have questions about the implementation. But, that doesn't mean I think there will be tons of problems with it in play. We'll wait and see what people think, and how they like it in the long run. For now, it's probably best to observe, report, and just think about how you feel about things that Wizards presents to you. And, for now, I intend to wait and observe. As always, play what you like :)

triqui

Adventurer
I think there will be some scaling, too. I really, really hope high level doesn't look like "1d8+15 damage vs 2,000 hit points" as the balancing measure, even with four attacks per round plus maneuvers. But, that's personal preference.

Well, I have some confidence in the R+D group in WotC. I bet they'll thought about it longer than the 2 seconds I took to bring this example out of my ass :p

Ratskinner

Adventurer
You know, I was feeling the same as the OP, until I realized (from my perspective) how much of this makes sense in the Hit Points are Abstract philosophy. And how much the Development Team seems to have embraced that.

I have read somewhere that the overnight healing is (paraphrase coming) bascially because as long as you have 1 hit point you have not had any solid hits. Basically one good shot and you are down, and until you are down, you must not have gotten hit very hard.

Add this in to Damage increases instead of To Hit bonuses......Each Hit that you make as fighter (for example) is more likely to be the one to lay out the enemy. And even a rolled misses (for a slayer) slowly wears down the guy until you connect with a big hit.

I know most of these will get tweaked, but I really really like the mindset here.

Simpler Math, but bigger payouts.

RK

Absolutely agree. I'm hopeful that, as much as I despise HP, that his will be a much more workable system for me.

I'd also like to add, that the whole HD & mundane healing thing is a really nice, easily houseruled mechanic for altering the lethality of the game.

KesselZero

First Post
I'm guessing that it will be the case for poison. For falling damage? I'm not as sure. Being set on fire? Not as sure. Falling onto lava? Not as sure. Being immersed in acid? Not as sure. Hit points have always had a hiccup in this area in D&D, and moving the heavy fictional position of dodge/deflection to hit points means that you're going to get heavy hiccups in situations where HP damage is dealt, but dodging/deflecting isn't much of an option (like the above scenarios).

But, again, I'm interested to see how it works out. If it ends up working well, and they end up having patch mechanics that seem clean in-play (like HP thresholds), then I guess it's fine, and I'll be happy.

You know, the more I look at these sorts of debates, the more I realize I'm a person for whom the in-game fiction actually isn't primary. I'm happy to say a hit is a hit, and as you level you don't get much better at hitting or dodging, just better at dealing with getting hurt. Unrealistic, sure, but if it makes the game run better I'm for it. That's totally just a preference, and I can understand why you might strongly disagree. My concern is more that we may end up with fights that drag on forever because high HP amounts are the balancing mechanic.

Though, to be honest, I still have reservations with HP mechanics. Take the Sleep spell, with its 10 HP-threshold. It can only affect creatures with 10 HP or lower. Okay. The Wizard, I assume, knows this before he casts it. The creature needs to be weak or it needs to be beaten down some first. Do creatures actually need to be beaten down first, since any creature that has 1 HP or more automatically heals overnight (because that wasn't "real wounds" yet)? Does that rule only apply to PCs, and, if so, is there a way for him to judge just how beaten down someone needs to be? Can he assess a creature's hit points in the game to know that it's safe to use his spell? Is this a purely metagame mechanic ("if they're at or above 10 HP, just pretend they made the save in-game, but let a player know when the creature falls lower than a certain HP threshold")? If so, will the large majority of players in the playtest be okay with that?

I would say the HP threshold mechanic makes sense regardless of your HP fiction. If it represents luck or dodging or fate or exhaustion, it still follows that you're more likely to get hit by a spell if it's lower. Heck, if I'd been fighting all day and the nice wizard politely suggested I take a nap, I'd consider it pretty seriously. My guess is that while of course the wizard knows that it only works for creatures under 10 HP, when exactly an enemy or enemies get there won't be obvious, so once you're regularly up against creatures with >10 HP attending to that will be part of the resource management game. Or maybe you just decide that after a few levels Sleep just isn't that good any more, since at <10 HP they're basically dead anyway. Or maybe you can cast it as a third-level spell and the threshold increases to 20 HP. Not sure how they'll swing it but I think it can work.

triqui

Adventurer
This is a flat out distortion, at best. While it may "obsolete" certain monsters, it also opens up monsters of greater magnitude.

The fact it opens new monsters, does not change the fact it makes some other monsters obsolet. By the time you fight Balors, Chimaeras are completelly obsolete. Or Will O Wisp. Or Basilisks. Not to speak about orcs, ogres and trolls So no, my sentence is not a distortion: it makes monsters obsolete. Period. That you change those, for other new ones, does not change that.

I haven't even made a judgment about if that is good or bad. I only pointed to the fact that monsters became obsolete because of Attack and AC increasing by level, and that the new design paradigm is to avoid that as much as possible

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
WHAT SHOULD BE LEVELED-UP?

RACIAL TRAITS? No.
Racial Traits should not be awarded on leveling-up. A character should not gain Night Vision as a racial trait when leveling-up. That's not logical as Night Vision is something you are born with.

I disagree with this entirely. I might be the lone voice in the wilderness on this one... but I think all of your splats should continue to shape your character for your whole career. Maybe not every level, but every so often, you should get a new racial feature, a new class feature, and a new theme feature. That way, if you change one of these things, the whole character feels different.

The main thing I don't like, especially with the flat math-- which I otherwise love-- is that ability scores are capped at 20 and presumably don't improve with level. I think using increasing ability scores as the primary means of general development, as opposed to the level bonus, is a great model for the 'zero to hero' style of play that's so iconically D&D.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads