• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My sweet two whip wielding fighter (PEACH)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Nate your whip dude looks fun...(not much more of the honest opinion cat to contrib)
But you might consider turning up the sense of humor... dial ;-)

Flipguarder

First Post
The irony in all of this is that I asked for people to please examine and critique honestly and half the post in here have nothing to do with examining or critiquing the build.
If you don’t want to PEACH my build or if you are annoyed by the word PEACH then don’t post in this thread please or any other of my future threads with the word PEACH in it.
And if you want to ban me for using such a stupid acronym, then by all means go for it. I’ve been a member since 2002 and have only 80-some number of post, so I’m not going to lose any sleep over being banned from EN World.

Whoa down boy. Friendly also includes the idea of making jokes and having fun... This ain't a business, and there's no reason to get all professional on us.

PEACH comment: looks fun. See my current-ish thread about str/dex fighters wearing hide instead of heavy armor, it might just work for you.

And shouldn't it be P.E.A.C.H if it's a true acronym?

Tai

First Post
None of the other acronyms on here have full stops in them...

Re: the whip guy, I like him. It's good to see the weapon multiclasses getting use, 'cos I think they're a very cool idea. One thought: If you can suck up the feat loss, you could consider going dragonborn, and getting Draconic Arrogance once you hit paragon tier - does your strength modifier in damage whenever you push someone or knock them prone. And if you do both, you do it twice... Although having checked the flail thing, it slides rather than pushing >.< Still, if you'd started a few levels higher it'd be worth considering, since it beefs up knockdown assault's damage output quite nicely.

yagyuninja

First Post
I like it. I noticed the whip stuff with knockdown assault the other day when I was thinking of making an indiana jones-ish character. I ended up going in a different direction, because I like the idea of an angry half-orc whipping baddies to the ground and then punching them with a spiky metal fist. :)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
halforc indy, level 3
Half-Orc, Fighter
Build: Tempest Fighter
Fighter Talents: Tempest Technique
Birth - Among Another Race: Among Another Race (Goblin)
Background: Birth - Among Another Race (Among Another Race (Goblin))

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 17 Reflex: 16 Will: 12
HP: 39 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +7, Endurance +8, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +1, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +1, Stealth +6, Streetwise, Thievery +4

FEATS
Level 1: Whip Training
Level 2: Dragging Flail

POWERS
Fighter at-will 1: Dual Strike
Fighter at-will 1: Knockdown Assault
Fighter encounter 1: Passing Attack
Fighter daily 1: Ruinous Assault
Fighter utility 2: Inspiring Fortitude
Fighter encounter 3: Rain of Blows

ITEMS
Hide Armor, Whip, Spiked gauntlet
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

The spiked gauntlet is the other weapon mostly for flavor, as I just can't get behind the idea of double whips as a scary arsenal.

eamon

Explorer
Looks good!

Minor details:
- I think Pass Forward is thoroughly overrated... particularly at low levels and especially for your character (which has reach).
- You don't actually need two whips if I'm not mistaken; you could stand to gain 1AC by wielding a mage's parrying dagger in the off-hand, or, you could use javelins to provide a ranged option (would that be a permitted secondary attack for dual strike?)
- do you really need such a high dex? I'd at least go for 19Str/16Dex preferably, and consider 20Str.
- a tip on strategy: a dazed opponent really can't attack when he's out of reach and prone. Most others can; they can choose to simply crawl 1/2 their speed as a move action and just not stand up at all; this costs them -2 to attack but no OA, since no-one's adjacent anyhow... Or, they can stand up and charge someone that's not 1 square away. For many monsters, which have great basic attacks but not much else, this is a pretty decent option anyhow. Since you're allowed to charge in a zig-zag fashion it's often almost impossible to prevent a monster from being able to do this; at worst he'll provoke an OA from some weak party member (say, your rogue that has a low str) who will probably miss or deal almost no damage. So, despite the coolness of being able to slide the opponent 1 square away, if your DM is playing the monsters non-suicidally, you'll still often be best off staying adjacent, where your combat challenge actually can work. If your DM isn't so much into tactics+rules, you might mention these options to him to keep the game balanced. Your tripper looks good, but it should rarely result in a monster completely wasting a turn.

Last edited:

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
A spiked shield is another option instead of the gauntlets - does give you a bit of a Castlevania feel, though, which may or may not be what you are looking for. :)

eamon

Explorer
A spiked shield is another option instead of the gauntlets - does give you a bit of a Castlevania feel, though, which may or may not be what you are looking for. :)
But the spiked shield doesn't stack with two-weapon defense - so the only benefit from this would be to gain access to tide of iron. For a two-weapon build, a parrying dagger - for example with the mage's enchantment - is a better alternative. A cutting wheel works just as well (really any defensive off-hand light or heavy blade)

Remove ads