D&D 5E My thoughts on 5e (mostly martial power source)

I'm fine with 'encounter' powers. It's a short-hand for "using this ability depletes some resource like vigor or magical energy that you can regain if you take a rest of five minutes."

It makes a lot of sense to me, though I would prefer if non-magical 'encounter powers' all used the same pool of energy. I can be vigorous X times without resting, so I'll use them for special moves A, B, and Q.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It makes a lot of sense to me, though I would prefer if non-magical 'encounter powers' all used the same pool of energy. I can be vigorous X times without resting, so I'll use them for special moves A, B, and Q.
This is a rather important distinction. I think use limitations for fighters become potentially workable if framed and designed as a function of fatigue instead of some mystical resource of fortune or narrative currency.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
This is a rather important distinction. I think use limitations for fighters become potentially workable if framed and designed as a function of fatigue instead of some mystical resource of fortune or narrative currency.

Of course it raises the question, if someone has three encounter moves that use a certain amount of "vigor" and they are allowed to use them each once during an encounter, can they just use the same one three times?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Of course it raises the question, if someone has three encounter moves that use a certain amount of "vigor" and they are allowed to use them each once during an encounter, can they just use the same one three times?
Any combination, one hopes. It's not uses of an ability, it's an accumulation of fatigue points (or something to that effect).

KarinsDad

Adventurer
While I appreciate the work and effort you put into this, I'm not a fan of the whole "power source" or even "powers" concept for a fighter/martial character.

I'd prefer it to be the "Physical Power Source" instead of Martial.

The classes in this source do everything manually without any sort of supernatural, mystical, or magical abilities. They attack with normal ranged and melee weapons, when other classes get some type of "beyond human" abilities, they get superior human abilities like bonuses to Athletics, Perception, Endurance, Acrobatics, Melee and Ranged fighting with or without weapons, etc.

I actually like the concept of a source of power, but I would prefer if WotC gave every single power source a significant amount of uniqueness. For example, only the Divine and Primal power sources can heal. Only the Arcane power source can Teleport. Only the Primal power source can Shape Change and have Animal Companions, etc. Although the Arcane and Psionic power sources might not be able to heal, they might be able to mitigate damage with Temporary Hit Points or Resistance.

And, I would remove the terminology "power source" and remove the concept of powers. I would make spells, spells. Prayers, prayers. Melee attacks, melee attacks, etc.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I see encounter and daily powers as "you generally only get that kind of opening once an encounter or once a day". As you get higher level you can find more opportunities (more Dailies/Encounters) to perform unique attacks/manuevers.

This is a rationalization of the game mechanics. Because the game mechanics are this way, this is how one would go about rationalizing it. Instead of the game flowing from common sense and plausibility, it flows from the game mechanics chosen. It should flow in the opposite direction where the game mechanics reflect what makes sense in character.

Instead of Encounter and Daily powers, there should be maneuvers that result in more damage or the foe is easier to hit, or whatever, but also result in the PC lowering his guard a little or getting tired, or some such detriment in return. That way, the player decides when to use them and when not to, but s/he can use them every single round if desired. It then doesn't become an issue of frequency of use, it becomes an issue of frequency of desire of use due to the slight disadvantage of doing so.

FireLance

Legend
First of all, there should be no martial daily powers, and no "encounter" powers period (whether martial, magical, or whatever). If you want an ability to refresh, make it based on time (such as rest 5 min to regain it, or the like), not on so-called "encounters". Yes, I'm not a 4E fan :)
Yeah, this is one of the most common misconceptions about 4e.

The term "encounter" suffers from the problem of having different meanings in different contexts. In can be used in the most comonly-understood sense of a challenge to be overcome, which can comprise both combat and non-combat elements.

When used in the context of an "encounter power" it means a power that can be regained after a short rest (usually five minutes long), in much the same way as a daily power can be regained after an extended rest (usually six hours long) or (in previous editions) a daily spell or ability can be regained after a night's rest. PCs who do not rest do not regain their encounter powers.

When used in the context of a duration that "lasts till the end of the encounter", the maximum duration is still capped at five minutes even if the encounter takes longer than five minutes. However, although there will of course be exceptions, encounters do not normally last longer than five minutes and the PCs would normally take a short rest at the end of each encounter. Hence, such effects typically would last for a single encounter and would not carry on to the next since they would terminate during the short rest. PCs who wish to continue enjoying the effect could simply choose not to take a short rest.

If you are not a 4e player, you might want to take a quick look at this primer on 4e terminology.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
If you are not a 4e player, you might want to take a quick look at this primer on 4e terminology.

That 4e has such terminology in the first place is the problem. Not knowing the specific meanings of such is not the problem, it's that they even exist.

It's not really a logical thing. It just feels wrong to a lot of people. It's sort of like the New Coke vs Coke Classic. The New Coke did probably taste better, it's just people were used to the old one and were stubborn about it.

And frankly, this is the problem that 5e faces. If you include that stuff you are going to alienate non-4e fans, and if you don't, you're going to alienate 4e fans.

The way I read it (and I could be completely wrong) is that they are going to try to solve this problem by guiding 4e fans toward their D&D board games, where new terminology won't seem so foreign to long time D&Ders.

Zireael

Explorer
I'd put clear explanations of terminology the moment it is introduced, and I'd use manevuers from Tome of Battle instead of the 4e powers.

Remove ads