My Top 10 Classic D&D Movies

trancejeremy

Adventurer
What's a D&D movie? Well, there's the actual D&D movies. Or there's Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies. This list, though, by trancejeremy, is all about classic movies. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Patrick Stewart, and John Cleese await in this list of 10 Classic D&D Movies!

[h=4]#10 The Barbarians[/h]
View attachment 66327

What do you get when you take two body builder twins and one of the most beautiful women in the world? The Barbarians, a really goofy fantasy movie that might not actually have a plot, but it easy to watch because of Eva LaRue as Kara the Thief.

[h=4]#9 Krull[/h]
View attachment 66328
Something of a blockbuster, complete with dozens of merchandising tie-ins, Krull was a glorious mess of a movie, combining Sci-Fi with fantasy. It didn't make a lot of sense, but it had a lot of cool scenes and bits, none more than the "glaive", a really big throwing star.

[h=4]#8 Dragonslayer[/h]
View attachment 66329

A surprisingly dark movie about a village who sacrifices maidens to their local dragon, until finally a magician's apprentice decides to slay it. Although parts are light in tone, it's surprisingly gritty, featuring an extremely realistic dragon, perhaps the most to ever appear on screen. Also featured a brilliant novelization by Wayland Drew, which was later reprinted without the movie-tie (new cover, etc).

[h=4]#7 Conan the Barbarian[/h]
View attachment 66330

Setting the basic plot for most fantasy movies to come, Conan's village is destroyed by Thulsa Doom and ultimately he gets revenge, albeit with a great cost. Not bearing much resemblance to the actual stories of Robert Howard, Conan the Barbarian at least captures the spirit and has a lot of great lines. The ending scene is hauntingly beautiful in a grim way.

[h=4]#6 The Beastmaster[/h]
View attachment 66331

Pretty much a Conan ripoff, featuring almost the exact same plot, but somehow more enjoyable. Maybe it's Tanya Roberts. Maybe it's John Amos. Maybe it's the kid that looks like Meeno Peluce but isn't. Okay, it's probably Tanya Roberts. Or maybe the ferrets.

[h=4]#5 The Sword & The Sorcerer[/h]
View attachment 66332

Somehow this low budget movie made more at the box office than Conan the Barbarian. Probably because it featured a sword with three blades, two of which could be shot at the press of a button. Lee Horsley plays Talon, the former prince of a kingdom taken over by Richard Lynch with the help of the sorcerer Richard Moll. His kingdom lost, he becomes a mercenary but soon finds himself back in his old kingdom, where he agrees to help the daughter of his father's former counselor retake the throne.

[h=4]#4 Excalibur[/h]
View attachment 66333

A stylized yet gritty take on the King Arthur story. Perhaps the best visuals and production values in any fantasy movie, especially the mirror like armor worn by the knights.

[h=4]#3 The Golden Voyage of Sinbad[/h]
View attachment 66334

Ray Harryhausen made a trio of Sinbad movies, all of which are good, but this is the best. Sinbad is drawn into a quest for the Fountain of Destiny, also pursued by an evil sorcerer, played by the legendary Tom Baker. Lots of cool fights with monsters and Carolyn Munroe.

[h=4]#2 Hawk the Slayer[/h]
View attachment 66335

If you saw this when you were 10-12, you thought it was the coolest movie ever. As somewhat standard in these movies, Hawk has his kingdom stolen, this time by his unlikely brother, Jack Palance. He enlists a motley band including an elf, a giant, a dwarf, and a witch to defeat his brother. But the real star is Crow, expert archer and the best on screen elf, at least until Tauriel. The second coolest thing is a crossbow of speed. which along with Crow's arrows, kills 95% of the peopel in fight, while the rest of the party mostly just pushes people over.

[h=4]#1 Monty Python and the Holy Grail[/h]
View attachment 66336

This is really the ultimate D&D movie, more quoted at D&D tables than anything else. Besides the popularity of Monty Python with D&D players, it features the various knights of the round table going on quests, looking for the Holy Grail, coming across all sorts of obstacles and monsters, like the dreaded vorpal bunny.

Attachments

• 220px-BarbariansVHS.jpg
    220px-BarbariansVHS.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Krull.jpg
    Krull.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 181
  • 250px-DragonslayerPoster.jpg
    250px-DragonslayerPoster.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Conan_the_Barbarian_1982_film_poster.jpg
    Conan_the_Barbarian_1982_film_poster.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 220px-TheBeastmaster.jpg
    220px-TheBeastmaster.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Sword_and_the_sorcererposter.jpg
    Sword_and_the_sorcererposter.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 181
  • Excalibur_movie_poster.jpg
    Excalibur_movie_poster.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 186
  • Golden_Voyage_of_Sinbad.jpg
    Golden_Voyage_of_Sinbad.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 220px-Hawk-Slayer.jpg
    220px-Hawk-Slayer.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 220px-Monty_python_and_the_holy_grail_2001_release_movie_poster.jpg
    220px-Monty_python_and_the_holy_grail_2001_release_movie_poster.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 191

Greg K

Legend
My own personal list in no order would be
Archer: Fugitive From the Empire (a failed U.S. TV pilot, but released as the movie Archer and the Sorceress in Europe so I am including it)
Beastmaster
Clash of the Titans
Conan
Dragonslayer
Excalibur
Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Ladyhawke
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Willow

I really want to put Heavy Metal on the list for the segments Den and Taarna. I also want to put Princess Bride, but it was never was mentioned in my gaming circles until the mid-nineties.

I listed Archer and the Sorceress, because only one of my friends in all my years of gaming had seen Hawk the Slayer or Sword and the Sorcerer. Personally, when he tried to show them to me, I could not sit through either whereas I liked the characters (especially, Slant whom is my quintessential D&D thief/rogue), the Heart Bow, Estra's necklace to summon animals, and the serpent men in Archer: Fugitive From the Empire despite the bad acting

Last edited:

LandOfConfusion

First Post
Thank you for including The Sword and the Sorcerer. I have a vague memory from my childhood of a movie with a three-bladed sword where two of the blades could shoot off, but I could never remember the name of the move.

The Dragonslayer is actually my all time favorite fantasy movie. It actually captures the feeling of the game Ars Magica really well. At least the feeling of the 3rd edition of the game. Now I want to play Ars Magica...

I agree that Willow needs to be on this list.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases