Mystic Theurge build, plz help

Ipissimus

First Post
So, new campaign and I'm finally going to be doing something other than DMing. Set in Greyhawk, so we're using the Core rules, UA and stuff from Dragon Magazine. Considering that the other three characters want to play combat types or rogues, we need both a Cleric and a Wizard, and I've always wanted to play a Mystic Theurge, so I am.

Serendipedy struck recently due to the Wee Jas article in Dragon, so I've decided on her for my Patron Goddess. My plan is to start with Cloistered Cleric (Knowledge bonus domain, Death and Domination as chosen domains), then alternate with Wizard class until 6th level, then go into Mystic Theurge for 10 levels, then go into True Necromancer for 14 levels (assuming we get to Epic, which we usually do).

My problem is Feats. My first few Feats are obvious. We're using Flaws, so I took two from Dragon (Divine Gestures and No Famillar, the second allowed by the DM as we're starting at 7th level and I don't want a pet), which takes care of Practiced Spellcaster (Cleric) and Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard). Race will be Human, so Blackmoorian Rhymes (from Dragon, to boost the Lore ability of the Cloistered Cleric that'd be left in the dust far too soon otherwise) and Spell Focus (Necromancy) for flavor. True Believer for the 3rd level feat and Initiate of Wee Jas for 9th level, again for flavor.

But then there's the rest of my feat choices. I have NO idea what to take for 6th or 12th level. After 12th, things like Quicken Spell actually become useful, and Silent Spell is practically a must (when you're silenced, nothing beats a Silent Greater Dispel Magic), so that's not so bad. I've been mulling over Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration, but you don't usually start running into heaps of monsters with SR at 6th. Leadership could be a consideration...

Constructive suggestions welcome.

Sparafucile

First Post
I'd say, that if you're starting at first level, wait and see what kind of DM you're dealing with. Some of them use the same tactics and the same mastermind archetypes, etc. PLus, the campaign story might inform you on what might be useful in future encounters.

Sometimes you can overplan.

smootrk

First Post
Rather than cloistered cleric (good choice though), do you have the option of taking Archivist from Heroes of Horror book (and also freely presented online on the WotC site)? This class combo'd with Wizard makes the INT stat prime, with WIS secondary (having a lesser impact on the Archivist class). The combo ultimately has the potential for the most extensive and widely varying spellbook/prayerbook, essentially having access to virtually all spells in the game. The class is a very good fit (theme-wise) for a Wee Jas worshiper (with the knowledge effects) and can be a very good lead-in for other PRC's as well.

The common situation of being a couple of levels behind the powercurve of a dedicated single class is going to be there, but you will have huge amounts of spells available of a wide variety. Others would argue the balance (being under-powered), but I think it works out well.

Archivist can be viewed here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3

Last edited:

Ipissimus

First Post
Good advice, Sparafucile, but unfortunately we're starting at 7th. So I at least need to figure out what to take for 6th level. It is driving me potty.

The Archivist class is nice, Smootrk, but it's not really for me. Synergy with Int is nice but the meat of the Archivist class only comes beyond 3rd level and I'd never use Dark Knowledge. If I want to buff the party, I'll cast a spell (I should have enough of them per day...). There's also the other disadvantages, chiefly that you need the Death Domain and Rebuke to get into True Necromancer (the point of which is only dropping 5 caster levesl each side by level 30, not taking into account Practiced Spellcaster), and Archivist doesn't give you any Domains or Rebuke at all. In addition, Cloistered Cleric gives you 3 domains, 6 skill points, the ability to memorize a host of spells without a spellbook (no need for Spell Mastery) and Lore right at 1st level. In light of that, I'll take the pain of having the inconvenience of having to buff 2 stats, even if I have to dump the rest.

Ipissimus

First Post
smootrk said:
The common situation of being a couple of levels behind the powercurve of a dedicated single class is going to be there, but you will have huge amounts of spells available of a wide variety. Others would argue the balance (being under-powered), but I think it works out well.

Actually, I think that'll work out well too. I've been in too many parties (and DMed for same) where the spellcasters (both divine and arcane) have dominated the game so much that the fighting types don't get a look in edgeways. Pinning back my ears by three levels and being only able to do one thing at a time I think will make for a healthier game for my compatriots and, hopefully, us all.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I'd strongly consider Spontaneous Healing or Spontaneous Infliction feats - think that's what they were called, from Complete Divine IIRC? - whichever you can't channel normally... IMO it fits for a cleric of wee jas to have mastery over life and death.

Apologies for the sketchy detail - books not to hand. :(

Divine Metamagic? Divine Spellpower? - both rather funky and give some use to those left in the dust turn attempts...

I like a spell based answer to SR - Assay Resistance?

Engilbrand

First Post
I'll throw out the Champion. It's a class that I made here on the boards. It's still on the front page of the House Rules area. The basic idea is that the Cleric becomes so focused on what his deity represents that that is the major thing he cares about. You get the 4 Domains of the deity, but those are also the majority of spells that you can cast. Check out the thread, show it to your DM, see what you think. I'm going to be playing one, and there's someone else who has talked about having the Champion and the Cloistered Cleric in his games instead of the normal Cleric. Either way, let me know what you think.

Sejs

First Post
One down side to the Mystic Theurge is that your turn undead will be left in the dust.

As such you might want to consider taking some feats that don't rely on the turning check to make it useful - Divine Vigor, Divine Metamagic (make sure to check with your DM if he'll let you augment your wizard spells with it or not), etc.

Ipissimus

First Post
AL: Good points, Spontaneous Healing's going to the top of my list. No apologies needed, I perfectly understand. Divine Metamagic and Divine Spell Power are useful, however I think I'll save those up for when I actually have metamagic feats -chuckles-, though DSP may be my choice for 12th... Where is Assay Resistance?

Szilard: Yes, all official sources.

Engilbrand: I took a look at the Champion and, while an interesting class, I doubt the DM would authorize its use (she's skittish about everything not in an official book). Also, the spell selection is a tad limited for my tastes, I prefer versatility personally.

Sejs: Very true. True Necromancer will help with that but not for ten levels... still, good advice.

Remove ads