Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters What would you like to see?

malcolm_n

Adventurer
It's official. The KickStarter for Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters has begun.

In this game, players can obtain and use monsters in a variety of ways suited to their play style. Everything from battling monsters at the kitchen table to traveling through a fictional world in search of stronger monsters and opponents will be supported with the final product. You can even trade your monsters between friends easily. Parents and children will enjoy Mystical: KoM for its easy to learn rules. Veteran D&D players will enjoy mastering the system and using it to gain the biggest benefits during new or existing games.

More details will be provided on the Kickstarter about each of these, but here is a summary of our three main goals with this product.
1) Be the first Pen& Paper (PnP) game that establishes specific d20 rules dedicated to raising monsters as companions after you’ve acquired them in some way.
2) Provide a backdrop that anybody can use to create a new game or easily port into their existing D&D campaign.
3) Support many different types of players, including children (7+), new gamers, and established gaming veterans.

Attachments

• Preview announcement.png
    Preview announcement.png
    342 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

malcolm_n

Adventurer
[h=2]INHERENT NATURES[/h]In Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters, even common magic items are particularly rare. Because of this, monsters are balanced against other D&D characters through their inherent natures.
When a monster gains a +1 inherent bonus to its stats, it also gains its first inherent nature ability.
Inherent Nature abilities act as the properties or powers of magic items appropriate to the monster’s level, so a monster with Proud Tusk should be equivalent to a warrior with a level 2 magic light shield. The advanced trait Beneficial Nature allows a monster to gain a new ability it couldn’t ordinarily earn.
Because of how inherent natures are gained, having a magic item in certain slots will hinder the monster’s nature until the character chooses which to activate during a short or extended rest or when the character removes the item.
At 3rd level, the inherent nature ability gained is the same as an Arms-slot item.
6th - Armor
9th - Weapon/Implement
12th - Feet
15th - Hands
18th - Head
21st - Legs
24th - Ring
27th - Ring
30th - Waist
Permanent items held by monsters to be used in battle are considered part of the Neck item slot. Temporary items, such as fruits, are consumables instead.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Even if this KickStarter finishes without reaching its goal, you can still walk away with something. That's right! If you pledge $5 or more, you get a full packet of playtest characters to keep for yourself immediately. If you're interested, simply contact me with your email and I will send you 5 starter characters (each with their own monster) along with a minimodule leading you up to your party's first major encounter. Where you take the story from there will be up to you, but once we reach our initial goal, I'll finish out the module and send it out in case you want to enjoy it in full. For everybody to get an idea of what I'm talking about, here's Squit, a fire-type monster, controlled by a level 1 Monster Trainer. Enjoy!

Squit Character.png

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Yes. Yes it is :) We've had quite a few over the last few years (you and I actually collaborated on one I think with somebody else) but nobody's actually sat down and put it to paper (from what I've researched).

malcolm_n

Adventurer
We wanted to offer another great preview today to help illustrate what costs the funding on our Kickstarter will help recoup. So, just for our dedicated backers, we've put together the visual roster of the monsters we have completed so far. Want a sneak peak at the monsters that are being developed for Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters? Join us by backing the project and help discuss these companions.

Remove ads