• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystical Properties of Gems

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
I've been searching for a good list of the mystical properties given to different gems, in folklore. Sorta like the Gygax list in the back of the original DMG, but for stones, not herbs. A book by Lewis Spence called Encyclopedia of Occultism or something listed these in the entries for each stone, but I don't have access to that book. Any lists like this online?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Check the new-age crystal sites or the sights on modern-day paganism or Wiccans. Several of those types of sites list the mystical properties of various stones.

Volaran

First Post
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical in 2E had a pretty good listing of posible magical properties of gems, as well as metals and woods. It's a free pdf file on the wizards site, and might be worth a download.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Magic of Faerun has rules for how certain types of gemstones can increase the power of magical wands. For example, if a ruby with a value of at least 5,000 gp is added to a wand that uses an evocation spell, then the saving throw DC against the wand's spell is increased by +2. If the spell dosen't allow a saving throw, then the caster level of the wand is increased by +2.

johnsemlak

First Post
Several d20 products have lists of gem properties as well, inlcuding Tombs!, a PDF product, and the Artifacer's Handbook.

I can't think of a product that just deals with gems and gem properties though. Sounds like a good tightly focused topic for a PDF publisher! :)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Right, John mentioned the Artificer's Handbook, which has a whole chapter devoted to gems, as well as plants and herbs, monster byproducts, and other "component" type things. I wrote it, and the gem section was the most fun writing I'd ever had. Lots of mystical lore associated with gems as you might imagine.

Another one is Spencer "The Sigil" Cooley's _Enchiridion of Objects and Treasures d'Art" (I might have screwed up the name, though). It is a pdf, and would be available on rpgnow.com. Just do a search for "Enchiridion" and Spencer's products will appear. This particular work is enourmous, and has more gems than a sane person should be allowed to shake a stick at.

FCWesel

First Post
Also check out R.A.Salvatore's "Demon War" RPG and novels. That system of magic is "gemstone magic" and has a list of abilities for different stones. It might help.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads