Mythological Figures: Conan the Barbarian (5E)

WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE? Click here to find out! This week's Mythological Figure is one sure to generate a lot of discussion, as we delve into Conan the Barbabarian!

WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE? Click here to find out! This week's Mythological Figure is one sure to generate a lot of discussion, as we delve into Conan the Barbabarian!

H_5UhQt2Cd8fSzfPjKKtKsyxJp-gL0wqnSko9mAGL9qgE0AueBJelcxN1q1z09Oo3Zp-4CUMLMScV7zffGBgf0rWuiHm2pjWHpk0SlnSioTtIoKU-IL0J4U5K6_UXik7Zg3_0RPh

If by some strange chance you are not already familiar with this wildly popular character my first recommendation is to check out any of the Conan the Barbarian films (starring Arnold Schwarzenegger), but there’s also a Conan RPG from Modiphius and a relatively recent Conan video game. I’m not going to summarize his history -- as far as I’m able to tell there are at least 13 different public domain works featuring Conan.

If you read this column for the context this just isn’t your week but for the stat junkies, behold!

Design Notes: Conan here is one of the most hotly contested character builds for fantasy RPGs. It’s opinions, @$$#%^&$, and Conan builds out here: everybody has one. At one point or another I ran across a rationale I thought was pretty good and made a comment in my working document about it. If you are the person who posted this on Facebook or elsewhere on EN World or wherever it is I saw it, thank you:

“First thing - no more than 1 level of Barbarian class. Barbarians from Hyboria aren't D&D Barbarians. You just need it to reflect that he was formidabble even without any armour. So Barbarian 1 and no more. Second thing - Ranger 1. Conan was good tracker and knew how to take care of himself in the wilderness, his favoured enemies should be humans and human-abomination hybrids. Third - Rouge 3 with Thief Roguish Archetype. He spent a lot of time as ordinary thief. Rest should go to Fighter with Champion as Martial Archetype as Conan was more interested in crushing his enemies (and seeing them driven before him) as quickly and effectively as possible.”

For his Challenge Rating I erred on the side of caution and rounded up to 9 because he’s got a ton of features, can leap like a monster, and has incredible mobility (and if you are going to cry fowl about needing a higher Strength or Constitution, drop Mobility and increase one or the other by +2).

Conan the Barbarian
Medium humanoid (human), neutral barbarian 1/ranger 1/rogue (thief) 3/fighter 11 (champion)

Armor Class
14 (hide)
Hit Points 118 (1d12+12d10+3d8+32)
Speed 40 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
18 (+4)​
14 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
12 (+1)​
13 (+1)​
10 (+0)​

Saving Throws
Str +9, Con +7
Skills Athletics +14, Intimidation +5, Sleight of Hand +7, Stealth +12, Survival +6; disguise kit +5, thieves’ tools +5
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Thieves’ Cant
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)

Background: Guttersnipe - Urban Knowledge. Conan and his allies (while outside of combat) move at double their normal speed when traveling between two locations in the same city.

Action Surge (1/Short Rest). Once on his turn, Conan can take an additional action on top of his regular action and a possible bonus action.

Cunning Action (1/Turn). Conan can take a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, Hide or Use Object action, Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, or to use thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock.

Favored Enemy. Conan has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track humans and human-abomination hybrids, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

Feat: Mobile. Conan can Dash through difficult terrain without requiring additional movement. Whenever he makes an attack against a creature, he doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature until the end of his turn.

Feat: Power Attack. When Conan makes his first melee weapon attack in a turn, he can choose to take a -5 penalty to his melee weapon attack rolls in exchange for a +10 bonus to melee weapon damage. In addition, Conan can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack after he uses a melee weapon to reduce a creature to 0 hit points or scores a critical hit with it. Conan can only use this feature on his turn.

Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting. When Conan rolls a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack he makes with a melee weapon that he is wielding with two hands, he can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for Conan to gain this benefit.

Indomitable (1/Long Rest). Conan can reroll a saving throw that he fails but must use the new roll.

Natural Explorer: Mountains. When Conan makes an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to the forest, his proficiency bonus (+5) is doubled if he is using a skill that he’s proficient in. While traveling for an hour or more in his favored terrain, Conan gains the following benefits:

• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow his group’s travel.
  • Conan’s group can’t become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when he is engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), Conan remains alert to danger.
  • If Conan is traveling alone, he can move stealthily at a normal pace.
  • When he forages, Conan finds twice as much food as he normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, Conan also learns their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

Rage (2/Long Rest). On his turn, Conan can enter a rage as a bonus action. His rage lasts for 1 minute, ending early if he is knocked unconscious or if his turn ends and he hasn’t either attacked a hostile creature since his last turn or taken damage since then. Conan can also end his rage on his turn as a bonus action. While raging, he gains the following benefits.

• Conan has advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
  • When Conan makes a melee weapon attack using Strength, he deals 2 extra damage.
  • Conan has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

Remarkable Athlete. Conan adds +2 to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check he makes that doesn’t already use his proficiency bonus. In addition, when he makes a running long jump, the distance he can cover increases by 4 feet.

Second-Story Work. Climbing does not cost Conan extra movement. When he makes a running jump, the distance he covers increases by 2 feet (with Remarkable Athlete, 6 feet).

Second Wind (1/Short Rest). On his turn, Conan can use a bonus action to regain 1d10+11 hit points.

Sneak Attack (1/Turn). Conan deals an extra 7 (2d6) damage when he hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of Conan that isn’t incapacitated and Conan doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Conan attacks three times.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) slashing damage.

Dagger (4). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) piercing damage.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8+2) piercing damage.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

S'mon

Legend
In the D&D paradigm everybody eventually gets to be super powerful, if they keep at it. All it takes is hard work and not dying. But in Conan's world he gets to "high level" because he's Conan and unique.

I don't see any indication in 5e (or 4e) D&D that everyone can take class levels & level up, that was a 3e thing. None of the statted NPCs have actual class levels. You can create a Conanesque world using the official 5e NPC stat blocks pretty well.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I'd say his hp need to be low enough that he fears defeat and uses tactics like putting his back to the mast in Queen of the Black Coast. Where he could kill a bunch of Belit's pirates but did not believe himself to have any chance of beating 50 of them; very unlike a 20th level D&D PC.

I wasn't arguing he should be 20th level, though there have been people who have. From just messing with Kobold Fight Club, the threshold for this fight being "Deadly" is essentially level 15. At level 12 the number of foes would drop to 36 for it to be "Deadly." At level 8 the threshold is 16. Putting his back to the mast would cut down the number of attacks coming in and would turn what would likely be nasty to being more survivable so it is smart tactics to do it, even if he's fairly high level.

Checking the post that quote was from I said around level 12 with high stats. That was off the cuff but comes in pretty well... hmmm. Most of what makes Conan hard to build is the fact that his stats are pretty off the charts for standard build characters and he has too many skills and languages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I don't see any indication in 5e (or 4e) D&D that everyone can take class levels & level up, that was a 3e thing. None of the statted NPCs have actual class levels.

Yes, that was a 3.Xism, although many NPCs in 2E had classes and levels. NPC stat blocks in 5E don't have explicit levels but you can usually read off what class they were built on.

You can create a Conanesque world using the official 5e NPC stat blocks pretty well.

I agree, but you need to make sure the opposition is typically lower level.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't see any indication in 5e (or 4e) D&D that everyone can take class levels & level up, that was a 3e thing. None of the statted NPCs have actual class levels. You can create a Conanesque world using the official 5e NPC stat blocks pretty well.

So he's literally the ONLY player character in that world?

Look, I get that artificially limiting just about every other human to low level kind of makes it all work, but that's not a good indication that 5e is the right ruleset for this setting.

The only reason I'm arguing this point so stubbornly is that I think there's not enough of awareness of how a ruleset...not the fluff, but the actual underlying mechanics...can either reinforce or hinder the flavor of a setting. This is just a fun thought experiment, I get that, but in general I don't think the community has high enough expectations, in this regard, from the publishers. I think it was a huge mistake and lost opportunity for Modiphius to recycle 2d20 for the Conan game (even though that's their MO). MERP and ICE's "Law" based rules were always a terrible fit for Middle Earth. GURPS was, in retrospect, a misguided idea. And as much as I like playing D&D 5e, I don't agree with porting it to every genre and setting.

So this is part of my little campaign to move the needle.

Quartz

Hero
I'd say his hp need to be low enough that he fears defeat and uses tactics like putting his back to the mast in Queen of the Black Coast. Where he could kill a bunch of Belit's pirates but did not believe himself to have any chance of beating 50 of them; very unlike a 20th level D&D PC.

Aren't you forgetting the effects of bounded accuracy? A 20th level Conan may have around 200 HP but those 50 pirates are going to land a lot of attacks. If we assume an average bonus of +2 and a d6 weapon, that's 5.5 damage per hit so he can only take 36 hits (fewer actually, as you can expect at least one one to be a critical hit). Those level 1 fighters are attacking at an average of +4 (+2 PB, +2 stat) with Advantage (half using the Help action), so are going to hit most of the time if Conan doesn't have Unarmoured Defence. If we give him Con 24 and Dex 20 for AC 22 and make him a level 20 Barbarian then they'll have a much tougher time, of course. (Then again, a nasty GM might disallow him his Dex to AC given the press...)

S'mon

Legend

Look, I get that artificially limiting just about every other human to low level kind of makes it all work, but that's not a good indication that 5e is the right ruleset for this setting.

I agree that no edition of D&D is particularly suitable for Conan (it fits Mouser & Fafhrd better, funnily enough - also Elric). E6 approach comes closest.

S'mon

Legend
Aren't you forgetting the effects of bounded accuracy?

I don't think so, no! Although certainly a 5e F20 is less godlike than a 3e F20. More like a BX F20. Maybe he can only kill 40 foes solo before dying rather than hundreds.

Edit: Not sure how Help action would be relevant - you would allow those to rear to grant Advantage to those in front? Might be reasonable to simulate the press of battle.

Edit 2: Conan in the story is definitely not an F20, or B20, he wears a chain shirt with shield so probably AC 13+2+2= 17. He comes across ca 6th-7th level to my mind, he is definitely much tougher than the Argossean sailors who get massacred by Belit's pirates, who seem fairly competent so +4 attack/d6+2 seems reasonable, vs a regular MM tribesman +3/d6+1. Or the sailors might have been 4 hit point Commoners vs regular 11 hp Tribesmen at the low end. But they are described as fairly sturdy so IMC I would have statted the sailors at 2 hd, 9-11 hp & STR 12 ATT +3/d6+1, and the pirates I might have given an extra hd, 3d8+3 > 16 hp, with ATT +4/d6+2.

Actually there was a similar encounter IMC (Wilderlands) May 2017 where Hakeem the high level (Tier IV) Barbarian had his ship boarded by pirates, I actually based the pirates off the Scout stat block but with 2 melee attacks/round. Hakeem killed their leader Typhoon in single combat and persuaded the new pirate chief to withdraw rather than lose dozens of men in taking Hakeem down.

The pirate leader Typhoon was really nasty:

CAPTAIN TYPHOON, the Titan's Bastard KILLED BY HAKEEM M2 4447
Goliath
Armor Class: 15 (Unarmoured Toughness)
Hit Points: 200 (20d12 +60) plus 10 for Stone's Endurance
Speed: 30ft (9m / 6 sqr)
Proficiency: +4
STR
22 (+6)
DEX
14 (+2)
CON
17 (+3)
INT
10 (+0)
WIS
14 (+2)
CHA
12 (+1)
Skills: Athletics +10 Intimidation +5 Animal Handling +6 Survival +6 Nature +4
Saving Throws: Strength +10 Constitution +7
Challenge: 12 (8400 XP)
Racial Features
Ability Modifiers: +2 Str, +1 Con
Natural Athlete: You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
Powerful Build: You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
Mountain Born: You're acclimated to high altitude, including elevations above 20,000 feet. You're also naturally adapted to cold climates,
Languages: speaks Common and Giant
Image result for Skull Greataxe
The Howling Axe
Actions
Multiattack. Typhoon makes four weapon melee attacks, or throws three javelins (three if started holding two then draws one, or two if started with axe in hand).

The Howling Axe, Massive Demon-forged +2 Greataxe. Melee Weapon Attack +12 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 27 (3d12 +8 ) slashing damage. SA: This two-handed axe requires STR 20 to wield and does 2d12 on a hit (Typhoon gets a +1 die bonus). On a hit the Howling Axe gives a terrifying scream. Foes of 6 hd or less who hear the Scream for the first time are Frightened for 1 minute/10 rounds. A non-frightened ally may attempt a DC 15 Persuasion check as an action to rally them and break the effect.
Properties: Heavy, Two-handed,

Massive Javelin. Melee Weapon Attack +10 to hit, range 30/120, one target. Hit: 16 (3d6 +6 ) piercing damage

Last edited by a moderator:

pemerton

Legend
When I think of Conan I'm thinking of REH's depiction.

He has might thews - high STR. He is quick like a cat/panther - high DEX. He is never surprised - high WIS. He seduces practically every woman he meets, he befriends Pelias (the wizard he meets in The Scarelt Citadel) straight away, and his soldiers, vassals etc are extremely loyal - high CHA. He survives crucifixion - high CON. The only one of his stats that is not obviously superlative is INT.

In the 5e context this can't be done for a PC without (imputed) rolling, but presumalby is permissible for a NPC. The point buy rules are for balance among players, not a model of human attributes within the setting.

His abilities are amazing fighting (eg he kills were-hyenas with single bow-shots and by breaking their skulls with the hilt of his sword). He is an excellent climber and incredibly stealthy. And he is pratically fearless.

In AD&D he could be a barbarian or variant fighter of high level. In 4e one could look at some sort of ranger, warlord or fighter build (or hybrid variants). I agree with some other posters that 5e makes it harder to capture his comptence, but a fighter or barbarian with appropriate stats and skills looks like a reasonable starting point.

Once he becomes king, his Bond would be Aquilonia, his Ideal would be honour, and his Flaw his temper.

dave2008

Legend

The only reason I'm arguing this point so stubbornly is that I think there's not enough of awareness of how a ruleset...not the fluff, but the actual underlying mechanics...can either reinforce or hinder the flavor of a setting. This is just a fun thought experiment, I get that, but in general I don't think the community has high enough expectations, in this regard, from the publishers. I think it was a huge mistake and lost opportunity for Modiphius to recycle 2d20 for the Conan game (even though that's their MO). MERP and ICE's "Law" based rules were always a terrible fit for Middle Earth. GURPS was, in retrospect, a misguided idea. And as much as I like playing D&D 5e, I don't agree with porting it to every genre and setting.

So this is part of my little campaign to move the needle.

I get your point, and generally agree with you. However, I have been surprised by this thread in that it has made me realize how easy it would be to create a really good Conan (and Hyborean age) with the 5e ruleset. Just a few minor tweaks (similar in style to AiME I'm thinking) and I think you could capture the feel of both (at least for me).

Remove ads

Remove ads