Mythological Figures: Conan the Barbarian (5E)

WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE? Click here to find out! This week's Mythological Figure is one sure to generate a lot of discussion, as we delve into Conan the Barbabarian!

WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE? Click here to find out! This week's Mythological Figure is one sure to generate a lot of discussion, as we delve into Conan the Barbabarian!

H_5UhQt2Cd8fSzfPjKKtKsyxJp-gL0wqnSko9mAGL9qgE0AueBJelcxN1q1z09Oo3Zp-4CUMLMScV7zffGBgf0rWuiHm2pjWHpk0SlnSioTtIoKU-IL0J4U5K6_UXik7Zg3_0RPh

If by some strange chance you are not already familiar with this wildly popular character my first recommendation is to check out any of the Conan the Barbarian films (starring Arnold Schwarzenegger), but there’s also a Conan RPG from Modiphius and a relatively recent Conan video game. I’m not going to summarize his history -- as far as I’m able to tell there are at least 13 different public domain works featuring Conan.

If you read this column for the context this just isn’t your week but for the stat junkies, behold!

Design Notes: Conan here is one of the most hotly contested character builds for fantasy RPGs. It’s opinions, @$$#%^&$, and Conan builds out here: everybody has one. At one point or another I ran across a rationale I thought was pretty good and made a comment in my working document about it. If you are the person who posted this on Facebook or elsewhere on EN World or wherever it is I saw it, thank you:

“First thing - no more than 1 level of Barbarian class. Barbarians from Hyboria aren't D&D Barbarians. You just need it to reflect that he was formidabble even without any armour. So Barbarian 1 and no more. Second thing - Ranger 1. Conan was good tracker and knew how to take care of himself in the wilderness, his favoured enemies should be humans and human-abomination hybrids. Third - Rouge 3 with Thief Roguish Archetype. He spent a lot of time as ordinary thief. Rest should go to Fighter with Champion as Martial Archetype as Conan was more interested in crushing his enemies (and seeing them driven before him) as quickly and effectively as possible.”

For his Challenge Rating I erred on the side of caution and rounded up to 9 because he’s got a ton of features, can leap like a monster, and has incredible mobility (and if you are going to cry fowl about needing a higher Strength or Constitution, drop Mobility and increase one or the other by +2).

Conan the Barbarian
Medium humanoid (human), neutral barbarian 1/ranger 1/rogue (thief) 3/fighter 11 (champion)

Armor Class
14 (hide)
Hit Points 118 (1d12+12d10+3d8+32)
Speed 40 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
18 (+4)​
14 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
12 (+1)​
13 (+1)​
10 (+0)​

Saving Throws
Str +9, Con +7
Skills Athletics +14, Intimidation +5, Sleight of Hand +7, Stealth +12, Survival +6; disguise kit +5, thieves’ tools +5
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Thieves’ Cant
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)

Background: Guttersnipe - Urban Knowledge. Conan and his allies (while outside of combat) move at double their normal speed when traveling between two locations in the same city.

Action Surge (1/Short Rest). Once on his turn, Conan can take an additional action on top of his regular action and a possible bonus action.

Cunning Action (1/Turn). Conan can take a bonus action to take the Dash, Disengage, Hide or Use Object action, Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check, or to use thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock.

Favored Enemy. Conan has advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track humans and human-abomination hybrids, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.

Feat: Mobile. Conan can Dash through difficult terrain without requiring additional movement. Whenever he makes an attack against a creature, he doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature until the end of his turn.

Feat: Power Attack. When Conan makes his first melee weapon attack in a turn, he can choose to take a -5 penalty to his melee weapon attack rolls in exchange for a +10 bonus to melee weapon damage. In addition, Conan can use a bonus action to make one melee weapon attack after he uses a melee weapon to reduce a creature to 0 hit points or scores a critical hit with it. Conan can only use this feature on his turn.

Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting. When Conan rolls a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack he makes with a melee weapon that he is wielding with two hands, he can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for Conan to gain this benefit.

Indomitable (1/Long Rest). Conan can reroll a saving throw that he fails but must use the new roll.

Natural Explorer: Mountains. When Conan makes an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to the forest, his proficiency bonus (+5) is doubled if he is using a skill that he’s proficient in. While traveling for an hour or more in his favored terrain, Conan gains the following benefits:

• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow his group’s travel.
  • Conan’s group can’t become lost except by magical means.
  • Even when he is engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), Conan remains alert to danger.
  • If Conan is traveling alone, he can move stealthily at a normal pace.
  • When he forages, Conan finds twice as much food as he normally would.
  • While tracking other creatures, Conan also learns their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

Rage (2/Long Rest). On his turn, Conan can enter a rage as a bonus action. His rage lasts for 1 minute, ending early if he is knocked unconscious or if his turn ends and he hasn’t either attacked a hostile creature since his last turn or taken damage since then. Conan can also end his rage on his turn as a bonus action. While raging, he gains the following benefits.

• Conan has advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
  • When Conan makes a melee weapon attack using Strength, he deals 2 extra damage.
  • Conan has resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

Remarkable Athlete. Conan adds +2 to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check he makes that doesn’t already use his proficiency bonus. In addition, when he makes a running long jump, the distance he can cover increases by 4 feet.

Second-Story Work. Climbing does not cost Conan extra movement. When he makes a running jump, the distance he covers increases by 2 feet (with Remarkable Athlete, 6 feet).

Second Wind (1/Short Rest). On his turn, Conan can use a bonus action to regain 1d10+11 hit points.

Sneak Attack (1/Turn). Conan deals an extra 7 (2d6) damage when he hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally of Conan that isn’t incapacitated and Conan doesn’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Conan attacks three times.

Greatsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6+4) slashing damage.

Dagger (4). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +9 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) piercing damage.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8+2) piercing damage.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

G

Guest 6801328

However, you could also assume that in the Hyborian age, level 10 is a soft (or hard) cap and most adventurer / soldier types don't even get to level 5.. Then, if Conan is level 16-20, he shines a lot like he does in the books.

I'd go the opposite way: if you're going to let Conan double the level cap, let him multiclass to 40. Even Fighter 20/Barbarian 20 starts to look a little more like the real Conan. All those ASIs/Feats lets him get the sick stats that Conan obviously has. In fact, he only has to get to Str 16 and Con 16, because they become 20's at Barbarian 20, so now we can also crank up his Dex and Charisma.

Starting with basic stat array, with two bonus stats for human variant:
Str: 15 + 1
Dex: 13 + 1
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

Give him...oh, I don't...Alert feat.

We've then got twelve...count 'em TWELVE...ASIs to play with.

Con to 16
Dex to 16, 18, 20
Cha to 14, 16

Mobile
Prodigy (for expertise in athletics)
Great Weapon Master (more for the bonus attack on crits/kills than for the -5/+10...although that's ok, too)
Shield Master (because sometimes he uses a shield)

Holy moly and we still have 2 more! We could either keep cranking up his stats, or:

Mage Slayer, because that's totally his style
Lucky, because he's Conan

For subclasses, I guess I'd go Champion and 'Zerker. (Brute, if we're counting UA subclasses.)

Fighting styles would be Dueling and Great Weapon Fighting

So now he's got 440 HP, AC 20 stark naked, gets 4 attacks per round, crits 28% of the time (when using Reckless Attack) and gets 4 dice when he does crit, gets a reaction to attack anybody who attacks him, regenerates health when below 50%, can't get less than 20 on any strength check and averages 27 on athletics checks...plus all the stuff he gets from his feats

It's starting to sound like Conan.

He must be using the optional downtime rules for learning languages.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
I think people are comparing Conan to "any old Fighter 16" and finding him wanting. Well....that's because Conan is any old Fighter 16. What he does is what a 16th level fighter does before breakfast....that is the epicness of that tier.

Conan is Conan in his world because other fighters of his level just don't exist.

That said, I know a lot of people are questioning his skill competency. So one other extreme way to go would be Rogue 11 / Barb 5. That would give him a lot of skill expertise, and reliable talent....so he is always good on his key skills. He will still have rage and a extra attack for raw damage....and you could use sneak attack on his fists to make him an awesome brawler even without a weapon. If you go with the scout subclass you also can add in a bit of that ranger flavor

Last edited by a moderator:

dave2008

Legend
I'd go the opposite way: if you're going to let Conan double the level cap, let him multiclass to 40. Even Fighter 20/Barbarian 20 starts to look a little more like the real Conan. All those ASIs/Feats lets him get the sick stats that Conan obviously has. In fact, he only has to get to Str 16 and Con 16, because they become 20's at Barbarian 20, so now we can also crank up his Dex and Charisma.

Starting with basic stat array, with two bonus stats for human variant:
Str: 15 + 1
Dex: 13 + 1
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 12

Give him...oh, I don't...Alert feat.

We've then got twelve...count 'em TWELVE...ASIs to play with.

Con to 16
Dex to 16, 18, 20
Cha to 14, 16

Mobile
Prodigy (for expertise in athletics)
Great Weapon Master (more for the bonus attack on crits/kills than for the -5/+10...although that's ok, too)
Shield Master (because sometimes he uses a shield)

Holy moly and we still have 2 more! We could either keep cranking up his stats, or:

Mage Slayer, because that's totally his style
Lucky, because he's Conan

For subclasses, I guess I'd go Champion and 'Zerker. (Brute, if we're counting UA subclasses.)

Fighting styles would be Dueling and Great Weapon Fighting

So now he's got 440 HP, AC 20 stark naked, gets 4 attacks per round, crits 28% of the time (when using Reckless Attack) and gets 4 dice when he does crit, gets a reaction to attack anybody who attacks him, regenerates health when below 50%, can't get less than 20 on any strength check and averages 27 on athletics checks...plus all the stuff he gets from his feats

It's starting to sound like Conan.

He must be using the optional downtime rules for learning languages.

Well, again that is outside the rules, and Mike wants to keep it as RAW as possible. Personally, that seems a bit extreme to me. It is not like he always succeeded at everything.. He failed, was captured, and saved by others at times. And those are only the storied we know!

However, you could just assume his stats are rolled, and rolled really well. That would give you more feats to play with. We could just assume he is born with great strength, dexterity, and constitution (which fits the fiction) and he really only needs slightly above average (if) for the rest of his stats.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Well, again that is outside the rules, and Mike wants to keep it as RAW as possible.

I agree with the goal of that. It's a useful exercise to test the limits of the system, if nothing else.

Personally, that seems a bit extreme to me. It is not like he always succeeded at everything.. He failed, was captured, and saved by others at times. And those are only the storied we know!

However, you could just assume his stats are rolled, and rolled really well. That would give you more feats to play with. We could just assume he is born with great strength, dexterity, and constitution (which fits the fiction) and he really only needs slightly above average (if) for the rest of his stats.

Yeah, assuming he wasn't a point-buy but rolled and rolled well is a good one. Or was built on a much higher total due to "Ancient Blood" from the Cimmerians being descended from Atlanteans.

Another way to make Conan more competent at skills is to say that backgrounds in his world are more beneficial than in D&D. For example, his excellent parkour skills are described as coming because of his Cimmerian background. Or just starts with a bonus feat or two, for example, Athlete would very much fit and would give him a good boost. Alert also fits for his extraordinary ability not to be surprised. In fact, I think if I were running a Hyborean-style campaign using 5E rules, one thing I'd do is give out a few bonus feat as part of the adventurer's background, possibly happening during the leveling process but not attached to a character class.

The Modiphius Conan has a mechanic called "Fortune Points" which is used to ultimately balance characters. The more boosted your build is the fewer Fortune Points you have normally. Fortune Points are really, really useful and are way better than Inspiration so having one or two more is a big benefit for a PC.

Jay Verkuilen

Conan is most certainly a Mary Sue, I will admit it.

Conan probably is, at least to some degree. I don't think he's a direct REH insert but he's clearly exploring themes that REH found personally appealing, such as the pull between civilization and barbarism. Beyond that he certainly draws on the "tall tales" of the frontier along with the adventure stories that REH grew up on, such as The Three Musketeers. Superheroes come out of the same basic roots at roughly the same time, Zorro being a good example of a "masked avenger" precursor, along with Spring-heeled Jack.

But not all high power characters in adventure stories are. I once heard an interview with Bernard Cornwell, author of many books but most notably the Sharpe series. Someone asked him, more or less, whether Richard Sharpe was a Mary Sue. Cornwell pretty much shot that down with "Oh no, not at all. His personality is not like me at all and he commits cold-blooded murder in the very first story!" Sharpe isn't as omni-competent as Conan, and would be a good example of a multiclassed fighter/barbarian translated to a modern setting his propensity for rage, though Patrick Harper would probably be a pure barbarian.

Last edited by a moderator:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I once made a Conan character, I didn't give him any classes, I just made him his own unique "creature."

I took whatever elements I felt like taking from classes, and giving him whatever stats I felt were appropriate based on his accomplishments and feats.

If I recall correctly, none of his stats were 10 or below.

I gave him Rage because I've seen him rage in "low-level" adventures, taking blows that would fell a dozen men, while just hacking through a half-dozen guards or so, with ease.

I've seen him outsmart many a foe.

In fact, Conan uses his smarts quite often, and it is one of his prevailing stats.

His Charisma isn't to be underestimated either.

He's gotten around "encounters" with Intimidation; Diplomacy; Charm, etc.

Conan is most certainly a Mary Sue, I will admit it.

Let us not forget Conan becomes king of Aqualonia.

His Strength is his greatest stat, probably a 20.
His Dexterity is quite high, said to be as agile and fast as jungle cats, probably a 16-18.
His Constitution is also quite high, he can take blows, ward of diseases, survive harsh environments, it is probably an 18-20.
Intelligence is reasonable, definitely above average, meets many a challenge with his brains, probably a 14.
Wisdom, maybe the lowest of his stats, but he can be swayed easy for the promise of treasure, but always has a bit of suspicion in his mind, quite possibly a 12.
Charisma is another good stat of Conan, with getting a kingdom, talking his way out of things (even crazy things where he shouldn't be able to), and all the women that swoon over him, convincing people to fight with him, he has a decent Charisma, I'd say a 16, maybe an 18 the highest.

The problem here is that Wisdom in 5e is not good decision making. It's how well you take information in from the world around you. Conan is Perceptive and Insightful and that justifies a decent to high Wisdom.

Likewise Intelligence in 5e is not the ability to outsmart a foe, or come up with a good battle strategy. It's the ability to recall information you have previously learned about History, Magic or Nature for example. While Conan is decent at this there's not much to suggest his recall was on the level of a sage or scholar.

I think you would be more accurate to switch Wis and Int, again based on how they interact with the 5e world, not their real world definitions.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Conan probably is, at least to some degree. I don't think he's a direct REH insert but he's clearly exploring themes that REH found personally appealing, such as the pull between civilization and barbarism. Beyond that he certainly draws on the "tall tales" of the frontier along with the adventure stories that REH grew up on, such as The Three Musketeers. Superheroes come out of the same basic roots at roughly the same time, Zorro being a good example of a "masked avenger" precursor, along with Spring-heeled Jack.

But not all high power characters in adventure stories are. I once heard an interview with Bernard Cornwell, author of many books but most notably the Sharpe series. Someone asked him, more or less, whether Richard Sharpe was a Mary Sue. Cornwell pretty much shot that down with "Oh no, not at all. His personality is not like me at all and he commits cold-blooded murder in the very first story!" Sharpe isn't as omni-competent as Conan, and would be a good example of a multiclassed fighter/barbarian translated to a modern setting his propensity for rage, though Patrick Harper would probably be a pure barbarian.

I think it's fair to say that Conan is somewhat of a wish fulfillment for REH. They are the same Height and Weight for example. And in a way Sharpe is somewhat that for Cornwell, as was Horatio Hornblower for C.S. Forrester.

As is every D&D character I make for myself.

Jay Verkuilen

I think it's fair to say that Conan is somewhat of a wish fulfillment for REH. They are the same Height and Weight for example. And in a way Sharpe is somewhat that for Cornwell, as was Horatio Hornblower for C.S. Forrester.

As is every D&D character I make for myself.

I 100% agree that characters needs speak to you enough to want to write about them or play them, but to me Conan feels a bit more REH than, say, Sharpe does Bernard Cornwell. Cornwell specifically said in the interview that he was pretty clear that Sharpe isn't just what he would do if he could. Also it's literally possible to walk in the footsteps of the inspirations of Sharpe and Hornblower and read the writings of the soldiers and sailors of the Napoleonic Era along with the scholarship of authors such as John Keegan. Hyborea is more clearly fiction.

Remove ads

Remove ads