Level Up (A5E) Mythological/Literary/Historical Subclasses

@ReadyButNot, you're likely thinking of Press The Attack, which is a regular combat action.
nope, i mentioned press the attack as a separate thing - turns out i was thinking of zealous stance:
Zealous Stance (1 point) 1st degree Tempered Iron bonus action (stance) By submitting to your fervor you make yourself vulnerable but gain an edge on your opponents. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to gain an expertise die on melee weapon attack rolls until the start of your next turn. When you do so, until the start of your next turn attack rolls against you gain an expertise die.
yeah, this is straight up just reckless attack lmao
Which is why it’s best to use while flanking, or when the target is pressed against a wall or ledge. :) I like it as in incentive to think tactically.
except that doesn't help you at all. in the case of flanking, all it does is let them break out of the flank and grant everyone advantage on attacks against you for a turn. if they're against a wall or ledge, unless they're surrounded on all sides by that wall or ledge, then all it does is grant everyone advantage on attacks against you for a turn.

honestly i think the problem is less press the attack and more fall back. i think if the target's movement from fall back triggered opportunity attacks (not from the person who pressed against them though) then it'd be fine - although this discussion would probably be more appropriate for a different thread, so maybe i should stop here

“While raging, you can choose to forgo gaining new Rage hit points for a turn in exchange for adding the same number of forgone points to your weapon attack rolls until the start of your next turn. If you do so, all attacks against you score critical hits on a roll of 19-20 until the start of your next turn.”
does there need to be an extra detriment to basically getting rage damage from o5e when you're already giving up recharging rage hit points for that turn? i don't think the expanded crit range against you would really make the ability that much worse (though there should probably be a clause to expand the crit range if their crit range is already 19-20 or better), i just don't know if it's necessary.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
The book Mythological Figures and Maleficent Monsters is pretty cool, but what about if you wanted to play a PC inspired by a famous character, much like the Avenging Archetypes from GPG 2 allow for superheroes? Obviously, you can approximate most anything with some clever design and conversations with your GM, but I’m more interested in inspiration for brewing up new options! Which figures would people want to play, and how should they be built?

A few ideas:

Sun Wukong Druid - Fight with weapons while wildshaped

Odysseus/Penelope Savant - Focus on Deception, Disguises, and De-escalation

Achilles Berserker - Bonuses when an ally reaches 0 hit points

Arjun Herald - Ranged weapons, (and perhaps some ways to mitigate when allies roll poorly)

Scheherazade Bard - benefits that improve when casted repeatedly

Ahab Marshal - bonuses against “sworn enemies”
This is cool! I'd focus on the characters that don't have any class-built precedents in the original column (like Circe, the Green Knight, Oberon). O5E archetypes aren't as cool as our spiffy new things but they'll fit the bill, and with the additional features in every class and the origins system there's more versatility to hit a more accurate mechanical depiction for a mythological hero (or villain ;)).

Remove ads