N.E.W. Playtest Document [July 2014]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Plus just adding to a dice pool is functionally similar to just increasing the attribute itself.

Broken Reality

First Post
A question about dice pools in this version, Are exploding dice only received when spending Luck or Reputation or does every dice pool have at least one exploding dice? This version is missing that part of the explanation and there is a bit of disagreement in our group as the only mentions of exploding dice are in the section on task difficulties pg 100 "Use of the LUCK pool and the exploding die means that there's always a chance of success at any task, even if it's very small." The only other mention of exploding dice is in the section on Luck and reputation pg 106.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A question about dice pools in this version, Are exploding dice only received when spending Luck or Reputation or does every dice pool have at least one exploding dice? This version is missing that part of the explanation and there is a bit of disagreement in our group as the only mentions of exploding dice are in the section on task difficulties pg 100 "Use of the LUCK pool and the exploding die means that there's always a chance of success at any task, even if it's very small." The only other mention of exploding dice is in the section on Luck and reputation pg 106.

LUC/REP/TECH dice only.

Wojorides

Explorer
Jump values for Iconic characters and a Starship Maneuver

Am i missing something or all iconic characters jump numbers NOT calculated? The Agility and Str values are not included in any manner. The felan Attribute of 10 Agil would result in a horizontal jump of 25. not just 5.

Starship Exploit.
Wingover assume it should be 180 degree change not 10. You can reverse direction 10-degrees instantly with a half-loop plus barrel roll.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Am i missing something or all iconic characters jump numbers NOT calculated? The Agility and Str values are not included in any manner. The felan Attribute of 10 Agil would result in a horizontal jump of 25. not just 5.

5 five-foot squares. Or 25'. :)

Starship Exploit.
Wingover assume it should be 180 degree change not 10. You can reverse direction 10-degrees instantly with a half-loop plus barrel roll.

Oops! Thanks! Good catch! :)

Tigerlil

First Post
What am I missing here
Agility times two equals horizontal distance, divide by five for squares.
10x2=20, /5= 4 squares.

which is still a very very long jump without having to roll for it ;) good for dramatic games but less so for realistic seekers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What am I missing here
10x2=20, /5= 4 squares.

which is still a very very long jump without having to roll for it ;) good for dramatic games but less so for realistic seekers.

Agility 10 is near the peak of human performance - approaching Batman or Captain America. But yes, you're right, Agility 10 would be 4 squares given no other modifiers. The current world record is 29' 4" or nearly 6 squares.

Last edited:

Wojorides

Explorer
Felans

The felan race get a +5 to their horizontal jump distance. so 20+5 or 5 squares.

I had singled out the felan iconic character.

What am I missing here
10x2=20, /5= 4 squares.

Tigerlil

First Post
In that case I guess the "error" is that the racial exploit wasn't written on the character sheet, and they was the reason there was something I missed ;)

That raises a good point, are there enough lines for exploits on the sheet? Most of the iconic starting characters have filled it out completely already! which doesn't leave much room for growth.

Remove ads