• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Names for stats.

Sniperfox47

First Post
In am attempt to not derail Primitive Screwhead's thread any further I'm moving this discussion here.

[...](LOG in O.L.D. is being called LORE - or LOR - BTW!)

Ugh... What's wrong with one consistant name for a stat?

Some stat names can throw off or enhance the immersion in some genres. For me, at least.

What's wrong with logic in a fantasy game though? Whether fantasy or SciFi a person's logic helps them solve puzzles and memorize patterns. If you're going to do that can you at least add a little sidebar in one of the books that says "these two are the same thing, if you're using both books pick one" or however you want to explain it? (Same with GP vs CR...) This is probably the topic for another thread though.

I don't object to you naming the stats anything you want. For me, words have a feel to them beyond their literal meaning that doesn't quite fit sometimes.

At that point though you might as well rename all the stats. If the entire idea behind these games is to create a consistent experience for people across genres doesn't it seem incredibly counterintuitive to then fragment the games by calling the same thing in different books different things?

Don't get me wrong magic, psi, and chi make sense to have different words for them because they have different mechanics, but calling primary stats different things in different subsets of the rules complicates things needlessly.

For that matter how would Lore, a set of traditions and methods for doing things passed down from generation to generation, work as a mental stat anyways?

[Edit] wouldn't it make more sense to have them as the same thing, and leave a sidebar saying "you can rename them to suit the flavor" than to name them different things and then have a sidebar saying "oh yeah, by the way, these are the same things?"

The renaming them because the names seem a bit off seems more of home rule territory than core rule territory especially for a game intending to be on the crunchier side.

Last edited:

I agree, naming conventions for the mechanical bits should remain the same.

And that also avoids conflict with Lore, Lore Master, skill Ancient Lore, etc..

Please stick with Logic! :angel:

LucasC

First Post
Definitely agree. If a standard stat name breaks the immersion in one of the 3 systems I'd say rework the name in all until you get a good one.

Khaalis

Adventurer
Since I didn't see this till after posting in the original thread...

I officially add my vote to retaining the core stat names across genres. I also have I say that Logic is no less immersive than any other stat name. I also feel it is much more appropriate to the definition of the state than Lore is. Just my 2cp worth.

Tigerlil

First Post
I can understand the want for keeping sci if words out of the fantasy book and vice versa...there's logic in that :p

but actually logic for me is far older a concept that lore. I connect the word logic with the Greeks (not sure if I'm correct) and therefor think it's still very suitable for old. Again, this is just playtest feedback of my opinion :)

Remove ads