• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Naming a bad guy help

Shiroiken

Legend
Simple Idea:
Grand Marshall, Prophet, Archmage, and Assassin
All easily added to (Prophet of the Dreadlord, Whisper Assassin, etc) in order to customize to your campaign.

Intermediate Idea:
Lord of the Winds (N, S, E, W) who serve for a region
Gives no hint about the henchmen. Could be added to (Lord of the Foul Winds could be a necromancer, undead, or world with troglodytes, while the Lord of the Fire Winds could be a warlord, invoker, or storm magician) in order to give clues without revealing the details

Advanced Idea:
the Royal Reaver, the Dread Duke, the Evil Earl, and the Blood Baron
Gives no hinds about the henchmen, but does give a hierarchy smart players might manipulate

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I had an evil dragon BBEG with code-named lieutenants: Talon, Fang, and Horn. That worked well in game for a couple reasons:

1. It didn't give away the real names of the lieutenants when the PC's found some info about them (two were undercover, so to speak);
2. When the PC's learned the code names, they guessed that they were related to each other and to the same organization or monster.
3. I said "a couple reasons," meaning two.

Kaodi

Hero
So are we talking kind of about nicknames, like The Hound and The Mountain?

So far I was thinking of one named Scuttle, the admiral of the big bad's navy, a small, shrewd, cruel man with a penchant for sinking ships with everyone aboard.

Another might be The Last Rite, the big bad's champion, executioner, and all around killer. A quiet, menacing man who likes ceremony and dislikes desecration without a point.

Omegaxicor

First Post
If your group is the right kind of geeks, call them all Bruce, or Zathras.

I get Zathras but not Bruce or David, I guess I haven't seen whatever they are from

Great Ideas all, I will keep a link to the Royal Ranks saved for future use

I knew some different ideas would be good, I will think about them and see what works within what of the world is built already, and naturally what I can change to make it better :p

EDIT: I like the idea of one of them being an interrogator, enough to put fear into the whole world, a guy who after conquering an area revives the commanders and then tortures them for information, then for fun, then because it is his job :devil:

I am still unsure about the specifics of the others although I can't seem to avoid an Assassin/Intelligence sort of character

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I get Zathras but not Bruce or David, I guess I haven't seen whatever they are from

Great Ideas all, I will keep a link to the Royal Ranks saved for future use

I knew some different ideas would be good, I will think about them and see what works within what of the world is built already, and naturally what I can change to make it better :p

EDIT: I like the idea of one of them being an interrogator, enough to put fear into the whole world, a guy who after conquering an area revives the commanders and then tortures them for information, then for fun, then because it is his job :devil:

I am still unsure about the specifics of the others although I can't seem to avoid an Assassin/Intelligence sort of character
Kevin could be your model for such a character..."Silent Death".

Ryujin

Legend
Do what was frequently done in history; name them for their deeds. Eric the Kinslayer. Charles Priestdeath. Allan the Unworthy.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Just for giggles:

The Veiled Threat, stealth figure, expert in blackmail and extortion.)

Baron Wasteland, the barbarian raider, known for his tendency to burn everything to the ground when he leaves.

And his crew are:
General Destruction

Major Catastrophe.

Corporal Punishment.
(I think you could figure those three out).

I think you get the idea. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads