Naming Fey characters

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Side Note: With y’all’s help so far, I’ve gone from writer’s block and dissatisfaction to having a “PC name“ section larger than any other PC I’ve made for any system or campaign in 40+ years of gaming.😂

And that’s with me ditching or modifying most of the stuff I had come up with before posting.

So give yourselves a pat on the back!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think I’ve settled on the actual first names of each head: Laika & Cosmo/Kosmo. “Laika” has the Russian dog connection, the first dog in space, and is Laika & The Cosmonauts is the name of one of my favorite instrumental surf/spy guitar bands. “Cosmo”, among many other things, is the name of a psionic Labrador in a comic book.

Of the 2, the latter is the less probable. The name means “Order”, which would be an odd one for a PC who MUST be chaotic by rule.

”Boris” (fighter) would be appropriate, but possibly a bit on the nose.

Last edited:

I think I’ve settled on the actual first names of each head: Laika & Cosmo/Kosmo. “Laika” has the Russian dog connection, the first dog in space, and is Laika & The Cosmonauts is the name of one of my favorite instrumental surf/spy guitar bands. “Cosmo”, among many other things, is the name of a psionic Labrador in a comic book.

Of the 2, the latter is the less probable. The name means “Order”, which would be an odd one for a PC who MUST be chaotic by rule.

”Boris” (fighter) would be appropriate, but possibly a bit on the nose.
I actually like the idea of a name meaning order for a chaotic character. He/she/they could be rebelling against the name, like someone named "angel" or "charity" who decides to become a rabblerouser as an act of defiance.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Another thing, if the character is noble (or pretending to be), then yeah, they are probably using a number of different titles. All depending on where they are and who they are interacting with... I pity the herald who has to introduce them at a really fancy court. The more titles, the more important you are.

And since Fey, then some titles might very well be quite weird. Maybe also take an influence from games like Scion for titles. Some of those titles might describe deeds or role you fill.

Edit: Example: from my character in such a campaign: She is "The Relentless She-Wolf of Winter, Ranger of the White Forest, and Lady of the Wild Hunt". Another character in the same champaign had as her first title "The Bloodied"... So be descriptive. ;)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another thing, if the character is noble (or pretending to be), then yeah, they are probably using a number of different titles. All depending on where they are and who they are interacting with... I pity the herald who has to introduce them at a really fancy court. The more titles, the more important you are.

And since Fey, then some titles might very well be quite weird.
Oh yeah, got LOTS of titles & epithets!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Final Update*- this is where I’m at:

LAIKA & COSMO DOBROGOST (Russian for "good guest"), a.k.a. “JOHN HAWTHORN” & “TOM WINTERSONG”; “SIR GOODBOY”; “SIR RULEAN”; “THE KNIGHT IN AZURE”; “THE SON OF CLOUDS”; “SHRIKE OF THE NORTHLANDS”; “THISTLE-THANE”; “FROST-WARDEN”

Context: the character is a 2-headed cryo Hengeyokai/Lupin/Anthro-Dog (Size M Spitz type: Samoyed or similar); Fey-blooded Ftr or Ftr/Paladin of Freedom. (See also Marshal and Psychic Warrior). His taste in weapons is all pointy, all the time- rapiers, javelins, spears, etc. His armor is enameled in blue with gold & silver embellishments.

* since I’m not under any time pressure and this has been fun, feel free to continue making suggestions!**

** or if you’re where I was when I started this thread, ask for help naming YOUR fey-themed PC!

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Just realized this tempLaDean introduces a conundrum: how can a creature with iron vulnerability wear standard armor or use standard weapons? Is the lining, padding, etc. enough to protect them from harm?
It's a little bit weird, it sounds like this damage from iron is stopped by its DR so it doesn't actually take any damage unless the weapon also bypasses the DR with coldiron.

Otherwise, I was thinking about this before after seeing the template. They might have their own metals as strong as steel, maybe they use bronze but magically treat it to be just as strong as steel. Magical armour with enchanted leaves instead of scales, ironwood plate mail, etc.

Remove ads