Naming Fey characters

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It's a little bit weird, it sounds like this damage from iron is stopped by its DR so it doesn't actually take any damage unless the weapon also bypasses the DR with coldiron.

Otherwise, I was thinking about this before after seeing the template. They might have their own metals as strong as steel, maybe they use bronze but magically treat it to be just as strong as steel. Magical armour with enchanted leaves instead of scales, ironwood plate mail, etc.
The DR would stop the 1pt damage, yes, but it’s still…puzzling. Imagine wearing armor and using weapons that prickle your skin constantly wherever it touches.

Which may be overthinking. After all, your sword’s grip isn’t usually naked steel, it’s bound in a grip of cloth and/or leather. Metal armor has padding beneath it to absorb blows’ concussive force.

Perhaps even the thinnest layer of silk or paper between flesh and metal is enough to insulate the Fey against the effects of iron & steel.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Steel isn't cold iron. Fey in most editions have vulnerability to cold iron, but not to normal weapons.

Just quoting from the template:
Iron Vulnerability (Ex): The mere touch of iron (including steel) deals 1 point of damage to the seelie court fey. A hit with an iron or steel weapon deals an additional +1d6 points of damage. The fey's DR protects it from this damage. Roll the damage as normal and apply DR, unless the weapon can defeat the fey's DR.
To be clear, it was published in Dragon, not one of the splatbooks, so it might be flawed. OTOH, it could also represent a Fey version of the trope that the bluebloods are weaker stock in some way, because the rules about who they can marry can lead to a small gene pool.

Oh, interesting. Looks like that magazine was Feb 2003, so 3.0. What I was saying was true for 3.5 (cold iron must be specifically made and a steel sword or armor wouldn't count). But 3.0, IIRC was just magical plusses for DR, so this template would have been being creative prior to the official 3.5 changes.

Playing this in 2023, I'd just discuss with my DM what makes sense.

I do think that even with the template as is that a fey could wear silk gloves and handle even true cold iron.

Remove ads