• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Narrative Combat

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I used it a couple of times as my Barsoom campaign wound up. I liked it, though it takes a few run-throughs to really understand how it works.

Very useful way of handling large-scale combats, and for setting up "non-standard" combats -- one of the climactic battles on Barsoom involved sort of mental struggles against an invading race of godlike creatures and I used Narrative Combat to abstract the battle away from hit points and AoO's. It was fun and worked out well.

But I still don't feel like I've got a good handle on how it works.

Glad I bought it, though. It's a good addition to any DM's toolbox.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
librarius_arcana said:
Is it very different?
From standard d20 combat? Yes, it's a COMPLETELY different way of looking at combat. Your brain will have to do some serious gymnastics to figure it out.
Would it work better with True 20?
Dunno yet. I have in the back of my mind a plan to create a "Narrative Combat for True20" guide so that True20ers can use it, too. But the back of my mind is well-cluttered with such plans.

librarius_arcana

First Post
barsoomcore said:
From standard d20 combat? Yes, it's a COMPLETELY different way of looking at combat. Your brain will have to do some serious gymnastics to figure it out.

gymnastics hu? does my brain get to wear a blue leotard?

barsoomcore said:
Dunno yet. I have in the back of my mind a plan to create a "Narrative Combat for True20" guide so that True20ers can use it, too. But the back of my mind is well-cluttered with such plans.

Tell me about it ;)

Btw Thanks for your reply dude :)

Remove ads