• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nasty one: Darkness + Silence What to do??

IceBear

Explorer
I wouldn't allow it.

The reason for feats is to give the ability to do something that you can't do without them.

Allowing a Wis check (when everywhere else in the books - dealing with blindness and invisibilty they use Listen) would be a house rule, and one that would lessen the worth of some feats.

IceBear

Ran

First Post
Guess you are right...

Well, thanks, specially to those who have come so far, I must have really got the hell out of you, sorry to bother too much...

Icebear, I thank you for the last thoughts, and I hope my characters never face the kind Icebear that made your trauma...

Ran

First Post
IceBear said:

I'm not sure what you meant by this?

IceBear

I thank your messages, they helped a lot.

Hope I never meet the Icebears that you discussed on other threads, the original trauma of being shreded by one...

more clear?
:confused:

IceBear

Explorer
Not a clue :)

The only "trauma" I've mentioned lately was the fire one. Don't think I've ever discussed Icebear related ones :)

It's ok though.

And no problem for the advice.

IceBear

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Ran said:
They surely won't have any Daredevil running around a lot, and in fact it comes out that my character made a very unique tatic viable, this thread was open with the idea of how people would handle it, and it came that most would deal with it in two ways:

1. Sit and wait: No battle at all, people sit, silently sneak away, and so on.

2. Dms dirt tricks: Deal with it properly, casting silent dispel, silent fly, silent rope trick and so on.

So don't you bother reading replies then?

let me reproduce an early answer of mine for you.

Minor/Globe of invulnerability. Neither of those spells function within the confines of the globe.

Obviously there are some tactical ramifications to consider since it is not a mobile effect, but any wizard with this in his armoury can have thought through synergistic combinations of tactics and spells.

This is not a cheesy DM trick, it is an utterly basic defensive magic that would be part of almost any wizards armoury.

Your tactic is a mere variation on the basic silence spell, and one that gives wizards extra ways out because they are concealed by the darkness.

Why ask for solutions if you are not interested in them?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
When I'm caught in a silence spell(and I don't have a counter prepared) as a wizard I usually run screaming, and as soon as i can hear my self I turn around and lay down a bunch of spells. Same thing owuld work here some fighter whatever is holding a silent rock, in a darkness field.

Me I run away screaming,.....Yaaaaa...turn, cast cone spells, fireballs etc to blast things nearby. Your punk bladesinger comes for me, good for him if he's moving at 60 I can hear him fairly easily enough to lay down the area of effect spells. And if all your facing is a wizard he better be one tough wizard in order for this to be a challenge so those area of effect spells are going to smart.

If your facing a wizard of equal level and you can acutally target him well enough to throw these spells at him, why bother with the tactics break wind in his general dirciton he'll fall over dead. (d4 hp crap reflex, and fort saves, makes one really crappy solo encoutner)

Ran

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

So don't you bother reading replies then?

let me reproduce an early answer of mine for you.

Minor/Globe of invulnerability. Neither of those spells function within the confines of the globe.

Why ask for solutions if you are not interested in them?

Sorry, i did read your reply, didn't consider it when writing that post, just pointed that people would counter it or say it cannot be done, when I was wondering if anyone would deal with it with rules... anyway, Minor Golbe, Rope Trick (silent or else it is too late), running away, they are all too good.

Ran

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
Your punk bladesinger comes for me, good for him if he's moving at 60 I can hear him fairly easily enough to lay down the area of effect spells

except that HE is carrying the silence...

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Ran said:

except that HE is carrying the silence...

So how does his listen 11 help him? Heck blindfighting wouldn't help him either likely in a silence/darkness field, he's more screwed than the wizard who can run away and blast everything in the area.

And when I say punk bladesinger I mean it. Because if your party is facing A spellcaster your bladesinger better be a punk in comparison or again why waste time with all the wierd tactics just run up and hit him, he will be dead.

Remove ads