• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nasty one: Darkness + Silence What to do??

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Also, I would point out that I would expect that *every* mage of about 5th level or higher would have given some thought to the question of "what if I'm caught in a silence spell?".

The exact response would vary by their level, naturally, but since it is such a mage-killer I don't think it is unfair for wizards to have thought it through a little!

An interesting possibility is for even a low-level wizard to memorise "Silenced Ghost Sound" as a 1st level spell, and make sounds of running feet go off "thataway". It would be a great distraction spell, and it is reasonable to have it prepared for when you are hiding and want a distraction without saying anything to give your position away!

BlackRazor

First Post
An even deadllier combo

Many solution are available :

a)Get out of the effect zone
b)Silent dispel magic. One of the most usefull thing for a mage
c)If the DM allow it, there was a nice 2nd level spell in Baldur's Gate 2 called vocalize, it allowed to cast a single spell while silenced. You could ask to recreate it in your game
d)Ring of spell turning with Silence in it
e)Wand of dispel magic
f)Potion of dispel magic

In our group, we have something called an Everdark Special (after the guy who first thinked of it).

Here is the recipe :

1) one part darkness
2) one part grease
3) three part marbles
4) four part caltrops

instruction :

mix beforehand caltrops and marbles in a leather bag. Arriving at the battle scene, cast grease then darkness. Follow with the prepared bag. Give best results in staircase or crowded area. Serve a 20 ft area or four guards. Sit back and listen to the screams.

P.S.: You can add a silence spell in the mix if discretion is required.

- Hack the planet

Dr. NRG

First Post
A whole lot of us have undoubtedly played a few spellcasters to high enough level to have cast a silenced dispel magic. Anyone out there actually memorized and cast one? Based on my experience, I'm guessing it's pretty darn rare. I have been on both the giving and receiving end of an area silence spell, however. The best option is almost always to get out of the area.

Blackrazor, many wands require a vocal command to invoke, and cannot be activated in a silence spell.

howandwhy, I believe you can target a specific effect with a dispel magic, preventing endangering your own buff spells if you target an effect on yourself rather than targeting yourself as a whole.

To the original poster, what is it about the tactical situation that your NPCs have trouble dealing with? Does the party have blindsight, or some other method of taking advantage of the "terrain" they have created? If not, perhaps you should turn the tactic against them and use it on their spellcasters sometimes.

ed - grammar

Last edited:

Ran

First Post
Dr. NRG said:
To the original poster, what is it about the tactical situation that your NPCs have trouble dealing with? Does the party have blindsight, or some other method of taking advantage of the "terrain" they have created? If not, perhaps you should turn the tactic against them and use it on their spellcasters sometimes.

Here i am, answering all o you, this is really helping, my question was directed at how to handle it, thinking about some rules, now I decided to forget rules, just make it impossible for them to use it. the original situation was: darkness, silence around my character, who had been blind for about 4 levels, and he charged and attacked enemies, while the others tried to find their way around, the problem is: it was a killer...

Anyway, I was thinking here, since there is zen archery and some intuition directed things on 3E, maybe I would allow something to be used to fight in darkness+silence... guess what? a wis check DC20, but maybe not...

I liked a lot the rope trick idea, useful and simple.

the important point here is; your players will never get you off guard with thi trick, at least not more than once... and maybe i will use it sometime, with some monster with blindsight... hehehehe...
:D

Ferox4

First Post
off on a tangent...

Dr. NRG said:
A whole lot of us have undoubtedly played a few spellcasters to high enough level to have cast a silenced dispel magic. Anyone out there actually memorized and cast one? Based on my experience, I'm guessing it's pretty darn rare.

Many of my players have griped about the Metamagic Feats (as they pertain to Wizards) since 3E's inception. We have discussed the potential of spontaneous use of Metamagic Feats but have not yet attempted to incorporate it into the campaign(s). We have discussed either making it a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + Metamagicked spell level) or possibly a Caster Level Check vs (DC 15 + Metamagicked spell level). Success means you spontaneously Metamagic a spell and burn the appropriate spell slot. Failure means you don't Metamagic the spell and you lose the spell slot.

Sorry to create a big turn in this thread. I am going to post it in House Rules if anyone cares to weigh in. Spontaneous Metamagic 4 Wizards?

Cheers,
F4

Last edited:

Ran

First Post
Re: off on a tangent...

Ferox4 said:

Sorry to create a big turn in this thread. I am going to post it in House Rules if anyone cares to weigh in.

hey, that may be nice, anyway I have seen Andrew's rules for point casting, it is still in deevelopment, as I see, but very good, it is in a thread around here, don't know which one...

dkilgo

First Post
Now all of this is just plain silly.

Why wouldn't the effected characters just get the heck out of dodge, and wait until they can fight on their own terms again.

Ran

First Post
dkilgo said:
Now all of this is just plain silly.

Why wouldn't the effected characters just get the heck out of dodge, and wait until they can fight on their own terms again.

Well, running from a bladesinger who is the ceenter of everything, who was blind for many levels AND has +11 to listen and a speed of 60 feet (with expeditious retreat) can be quite hard you know... at least when the enemy got away from the silence area...:rolleyes:

Remove ads