• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nasty one: Darkness + Silence What to do??

Ran

First Post
OKay okay, here it goes a small compilation of most answers:

Crothian said:
Guess? That's all that's left for you to do really.

That would be perfectly possible, but I was seraching for a way to handle it...

darkbard said:
silent dispel magic.

nice tatic, except that, as many said it, it is not very common, and it requires a mage a little high in level...

Plane Sailing said:
Minor/Globe of invulnerability. Neither of those spells function within the confines of the globe.

At a slightly lower level of defence Levitate. So what if they've got blindfight if they can't reach you! (silenced if necessary) or Rope Trick (they provide the darkness, you zip up and hide where they can't find you!)

The Silent metamagic feat makes lots of counters to this kind of thing available.

Yeah, so it was your saying... well, I read it then... just that i liked the more simple answer...

BlackRazor said:
Many solution are available :

a)Get out of the effect zone
b)Silent dispel magic. d)Ring of spell turning with Silence in it
e)Wand of dispel magic
f)Potion of dispel magic

get out would be ok, hope it work when it comes the time...
silent spells call for a higher level, it may come to be a problem...
wand is nice, just make sure it doesn't fall on the hands of the PCs...
potion is not dmg rules, is it?

Well, I am quite a pain in there, am I not?
Sorry... guess it already gave what it could, if anyone got quite tired of me, hope to undo it some time...

You all helped me A LOT even though you may not realize it...

three musts on my spellbook:
silent dispel.
silent minor globe.
silent levitate.

Ran

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

So how does his listen 11 help him? Heck blindfighting wouldn't help him either likely in a silence/darkness field, he's more screwed than the wizard who can run away and blast everything in the area.

I said it before: he hears who is OUTSIDE it, and go for it, while he finds the opponent (touching around him) he hits it quite hard... He doesn't have to worry about who is inside the area... it is bonus fight...

Shard O'Glase said:

And when I say punk bladesinger I mean it. Because if your party is facing A spellcaster your bladesinger better be a punk in comparison or again why waste time with all the wierd tactics just run up and hit him, he will be dead.

yeah, a lot strong, but not when you are low level at it... and as I have 3 rogue levels, I lost lot of firepower... except when i flank someone...

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Ran said:

I said it before: he hears who is OUTSIDE it, and go for it, while he finds the opponent (touching around him) he hits it quite hard... He doesn't have to worry about who is inside the area... it is bonus fight...

Again if your holding the stone you can't hear crap. You can't even hear crap from outside of the area of effect. There is absolute silence within the area of effect, including sounds that enter the area of effect from outside, otheriwse it wouldn't protect you vs harpy songs on any other sound based attack.

Ran

First Post
OHHHH... sorry then... never thought about it that way... yeah, it says so in the SRD... you know what, never worried about it... SO everything will be okay now... since cannot hear from the inside...

THANKS SHARD!!! Now, evil will triumph (the good guys will do nothing... hehehehe)

here is the spell from SRD:

Silence
Upon the casting of this spell, complete silence prevails in the affected area. All sound is stopped: Conversation is impossible, spells with verbal components cannot be cast, and no noise whatsoever issues from, enters, or passes through the area.

Ran

First Post
anyone knows if assamite's (Vampire0 power work the same way? or does the sound from outside pass through the area?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Ran said:
OHHHH... sorry then... never thought about it that way... yeah, it says so in the SRD... you know what, never worried about it... SO everything will be okay now... since cannot hear from the inside...

THANKS SHARD!!! Now, evil will triumph (the good guys will do nothing... hehehehe)

here is the spell from SRD:

Nah the tactic isn't stopped you jsut need to have a couple harriers moving and hearing outside the area of effect to pick off the straglers who stumble out. And if they like this tactic maybe the party will build there characters around it. What could make this really nasty is you use the silence stone and deeper darkness(wierdly just a cleirc spell yeah sacred cows) and give the person with the stone a gem of true seeing, they wont hear, but they should be able to see through the darkness(at least I think true seeing penetrates deeper darkness) to target foes, and to move aorund so people are stuck in the silence. So yeah you might still have to deal with this tactic it jsut requires a bit more prep. :D

Ran

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:

(...)
pick off the straglers who stumble out
(...)
use the silence stone and deeper darkness (...) and give the person with the stone a gem of true seeing, they wont hear, but they should be able to see through the darkness(at least I think true seeing penetrates deeper darkness) to target foes, and to move aorund so people are stuck in the silence. So yeah you might still have to deal with this tactic it jsut requires a bit more prep. :D

Man, that would really annoy a DM, and yes, as far as I remmeber, true seeing do penetrate deeper darkness...

Anyway, waiting for people to get out wouldn't be anywhere near what happened, but since the rules were being used wrongly, it won't be much of a problem...

Hey, would it be possible to reduce the area of effect of a spell.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Ran said:

Man, that would really annoy a DM, and yes, as far as I remmeber, true seeing do penetrate deeper darkness...

Anyway, waiting for people to get out wouldn't be anywhere near what happened, but since the rules were being used wrongly, it won't be much of a problem...

Hey, would it be possible to reduce the area of effect of a spell.

normally you can't reduce the area of effect of a spell. But their is a meta magic feat that lets you shape area of effects, its in T&B and for the life of me I can never remember its name. Andwho you oculd do cool things like turn the silence area into a cone or into 4 10'cubes(stacked on top of each other if you want a small area), I know a 20'radius is an option but I can't remember the rest, it's a +1 spell level metamagic feat and it is worthit(especially with anti magic)

Ran

First Post
Yeah, thought it would be a metamagic... since the area is not a caster level variant, or else you may cast at lower level, isn't it...

I Don't have the books around, but it really seems a nice one.

Hey, I am opening another tread, where should it be??

-- Wizards, Metamagic, Item Creation -- Too few feats to get them??

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Oh yeah its called sculpt spell.

Open the thread in general discussion probably.

Oh and keep it as a castlevania quote. Who reads classical crap anyway except english majors, :D now castlevania is a videogame classic something we all can connect with.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads