• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nebula award nominees

Darth Shoju

First Post
Thanks for the link. I was wondering, what does everyone think of the last Harry Potter book being on the list? Deserved or no? I haven't read it yet, but a number of my friends (who loved the Harry Potter series) weren't happy that it was nominated.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Darth Shoju said:
. I was wondering, what does everyone think of the last Harry Potter book being on the list? Deserved or no?

Well, I think of it this way: The Nebula is the award given by the members of the Science Fiction Writers Association. There isn't a hard definition of what qualifies as "best" that they must follow - their collective personal opinions and reasons are what matter.

In terms of writing quality, was the last Harry Potter so grand? Perhaps not. But in terms of representing the series' impact in getting millions of children to read, can we say it wasn't top of the list?

I expect writers care about such things - good science fiction and fantasy gets people to read and think. On that basis, I can see including the Potter novel.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Nancy Kress has both a novella and a short story on the list. She is a fantastic writer, so I will definitely want to check those out. I was very happy with her Beggars series (Beggars in Spain, Beggars and Choosers, Beggars Ride, all sometimes known also as the Sleepless trilogy).

I am happy the Harry Potter book is on the list. I think it was a well written and good book. And like giving Return of the King awards on behalf of the entire trilogy of films, I think it's appropriate to reward the final Harry Potter book on behalf of the entire series. Sci-Fi snobs aside, it was a fine series that had a significant impact on the field, and will be remember long after almost any other books of this generation.

Krug

Newshound
The nomination process:
http://www.sfwa.org/awards/faq.htm#16

Q: How does a work get onto the Preliminary Ballot?

A: Throughout the calendar year, Active SFWA Members "recommend" works for the Preliminary Ballot. This is a formal nomination process. A work that receives 10 recommendations within its eligibility period qualifies to appear on the next Preliminary Ballot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads