[Necro] Press Release--Wilderlands the First Setting for 3.5

Orcus

First Post
Press Release

Judges Guild Player's Guide to the Wilderlands tm To Be First Setting for 3.5

Published by Necromancer Games and available at GenCon along with the launch of version 3.5, the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands will be the first campaign setting specifically tailored to and fully compatible with 3.5. Published under the d20 license, the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands tm features a cover by famed fantasy artist Frank Frazetta and provides a setting for classic, epic heroic roleplaying.

"The Wilderlands was the first full-fledged published campaign world, and now it is the first for the Revised edition," said Clark Peterson, President of Necromancer Games. "We have worked with Bob Bledsaw personally and have assembled a fantastic design team to bring the Wilderlands to the current generation of gamers."

The Players Guide to the Wilderlands will be a 96 page perfect bound book, with a full color fold out player's map of the Wilderlands. The book contains information on history, character generation, new races, new classes, information on the cities and geographic features of the world as well as information on the organizations and gods of the Wilderlands. The book also contains a whole chapter that is a player's guide to the City State of the Invincible Overlord, with a player's map and a "guided tour" of the city as well as a list of rumors and adventure ideas. The book also contains a chapter describing the area around the City State in greater detail, allowing Judges to start Wilderlands campaigns right away. The chapter is also a preview of sorts for the upcoming Wilderlands of High Fantasy Boxed Set, available in early 2004.

"If you haven't played in the Wilderlands, you have been missing something truly classic."

The Wilderlands Player's Guide can be discussed in more detail on the Necromancer Games' message boards under the "Wilderlands Gazetteer" forum: http://pub123.ezboard.com/fnecromancergamesfrm41

[content edited since WotC has addressed some of my concerns regarding improper use of trademarks in cheesily-titled "press releases"; I said I would remove my stuff if they addressed my concerns and I am living up to my part of the bargain--Clark]

Last edited:

Red Baron

First Post
So, Clark, are we going to be seeing new-old stuff like "Return to the Dark Tower" and similar goodies, or will this all be new-new?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Clark,

Good to see you flexing your Promotional Muscles tm after the BoEF opened the doors to new avenues of press release verbiage. :)

baseballfury

First Post
Wasn't Warcraft, also by SSS, touted as being the first? Or is this just a convenient way to test the waters and see of WotC's legal sharks will pounce on you?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Ah well, Urban Arcana marketing said it was the first campaign setting for d20 Modern, although I know for certain that Dark Inheritance beat it to stores by several weeks. :)

Orcus

First Post
I'm not sure that Warcraft will release at GenCon. I dont know. Hey if they beat us, I will revise my position.

dwarfie, I see you noticed my post-Valterra "press release" strategy. I called for WotC to respond on the various boards of which I am a member where this stuff is discussed. I said, "hey, come in here and say if what AV did is OK because I know for sure we would all like to do this. Silence will be considered permission." I got silence. So lets see what happens. AV continues to maintain that mentioning this stuff in a "press release" is fine. I dont care one way or another.

I just want to know the rules so that EVERYONE gets to play by them, not just the guys with the inside track.

As for Blackmoor, it was the other campaign. But though a map was published (by JG) prior to Wilderlands, the notes that went with it really cannot be called a published campaign setting.

City State was published in 1977. The Wilderlands in 1977-78 (some have said earlier, I cant find evidence of that). The Greyhawk campaign setting wasnt published until 1980 in its first printing folio format.

Clark

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
So are you going to change your 'third edition rules, first edition feel' motto starting with JGPGttW, ccmpatible with 3.5 edition?

Remove ads