D&D 5E Necromancer Games 5E Monster Teaser #2 - The Aranea!

Astrosicebear

First Post
I've been hesitant to fund this because I worry that it will simply be 200 monsters we will eventually see in the MM2/3. While having them early is a boon, I'm more apt to use the official monster than a 3PP one when available.

But kudos to layout and design, definitely good trade dress.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've been hesitant to fund this because I worry that it will simply be 200 monsters we will eventually see in the MM2/3. While having them early is a boon, I'm more apt to use the official monster than a 3PP one when available.
Yeah, this is a classic BD&D monster that made it into the 3E monster books and SRD. I can't imagine WotC won't be publishing their own version, soon.

This would have been a good opportunity to cherry pick the best monsters from the later Tome of Horrors/Monstrosities, instead of just converting SRD critters which will likely be abundant in various forms a year from now.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Looking at the stat block, the shapechanging looks pretty versatile. This critter can turn into any Medium beast or humanoid up to CR2, using their abilities, *and* the Aranea retains spellcasting and mental stats?

The aranea under the bridge ambush just got brutal (ie: ie: if turns bad, turn into a fish and swim away; or a bird and fly)

Or the Aranea spy/Assassin? Conspiracy of Aranea running the kingdom?

So call them "Spider fiends" or something. I'm broke right now, but I can see myself picking this up when I get the chance.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The stat block looks pretty awkward compared to the official 5e stat blocks. I wonder if they'll update it to match the WotC layout if/when 5e has an open license.

Last edited:

MoutonRustique

Explorer
For me, personally, these are the kind of stat-blocks that make me create my own stat-block for the creature. This kind of presentation is unusable for me at the table.

For creatures with powers that are so wordy, I'd actually prefer the addition of a condensed stat-block that references abilities - since we're already doing that with spells anyway...
[sblock]
Aranea
XP 450 (CR 2)
CE Large monstrosity
Initiative +3
DEFENSE
AC 14
hp: 39 (6d10 + 6)
Saving Throws: Int +5
OFFENSE
Speed: 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
Melee Attack—Bite: +5 to hit
Hit: 1d8 + 3 piercing damage + poison
Ranged Attack—Webs (recharge 5, 6): +5 to hit
Range 30 ft./60 ft.; one creature
Hit: The target is restrained
STATISTICS
Str 14 (+2), Dex 16 (+3), Con 12 (+1), Int 16 (+3), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 6 (-2)
Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Skills: Stealth +3
Senses: Blindsight 10 ft., darkvision 60 ft.
TRAITS
Shapechange
Spider Climb
SPELLCASTING
3rd-level wizard, +5 to hit, DC 13
Cantrips (at will): dancing lights, poison cloud, shocking grasp
1st Level (4): charm person, sleep
2nd Level (2): invisibility, mirror image

[/sblock]
This is not a comment on the quality of the creature design.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Definitely looks like they intend each monster to fill at least 1/2 - 1 full page.

BTW I know its not necessary, and is noted where it is, but does anyone else miss the Initiative entry from official stat blocks? I know Necromancer Games added it in because it probably irked them too.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Thank you! I try my best. :)

Hah! See? This is why I only say nice things about products!!! :p

And I'm pretty sure I do... I might not think something is my favorite, but someone like me worked hard on it, and in this community they will look at their product names. That's the thing about the industry: you're not dealing with faceless conglomorates nor an army of robots (well, not yet). Currently, and increasingly in a world where I can literally make a book on my laptop (thanks to InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Word; not to mention ebook software and coding, which I've done), the real industry is done for the community by the community.

And then do a kickstarter, when I settle on something worth self-publishing...

fireinthedust

Explorer
Thank you! I try my best. :)

Before I forget to suggest it: I would love to hear about the process of creating this product.

What are some things you could share about your time working on it?

What would be some advice on creating layouts for 5e products? Or things that you worked especially hard on, like a particular illustration that *just* *wouldn't* *fit* where you needed to put it?

Heck, any funny conversations with the creative team, or other details or anecdotes that have nothing to do with the book?

Remove ads