Necromancer Games Under Fire?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One of the first companies to take advantage of the Open Gaming License and the d20 System Trademark License was Necromancer Games, under the leadership of Clark Peterson - a popular and generous man, and a good friend to EN World and to the gaming community as a whole. It seems now that Clark has come under a bit of fire because of his gaming connections and how this allegedly conflicts with his job as a judge in Idaho.

The Spokesman Review's Scott Maben has posted an article entitled Kootenai County judge’s job, fantasy game hobby blur together which contains remarks like "Many know him as the demon prince Orcus, Lord of the Undead" and accuses him of, amongst other things, immaturity. It even mentions at one point that "he posts well past midnight" and that on his birthday he posted a message on Paizo's messageboards during his lunchbreak. At one point, a complainant claims that "We don’t know if he’s demon lord in the courtroom or if he’s Judge Peterson in the courtroom".

A couple of people in cases which Clark presided over claim that his gaming hobby "falls short of the high standards of conduct expected of judges" and are preparing to file complaints. Peterson himself says "I continue to believe that my hobby activity does not violate any of the canons of judicial conduct, but the perception of the public and the litigants who appear before me is of paramount importance to me."

Clark Peterson's colleague Judge Haynes said Peterson is "extraordinarily engaged in his work.... rather than being distracted, I find him to be an extraordinarily focused judge on the cases that are before him".

I can't speak for anyone else, but I hope that this whole broohah dies down and things work out OK for Clark.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Clark Peterson is a judge? Wow! I had no idea.

And yeah, this is appalling. The whole piece echoes the hysteria of the '80s. As for posting from work... let that one who has not posted from work cast the first flame.

the Jester

Legend
Wow.

I don't even know what to say- would we also attack a judge for participating in a local theater group or writers' circle?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Great! Satanic Panic Part 2.

Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail.

OTOH, as Isaac Asimov once said, "Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

This IS the country that made Judas Priest defend their lyrics in court, after all...

OTOOH, JP wasn't held accountable for the kid's suicide, so maybe cooler heads WILL prevail again.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Clark Peterson is a judge? Wow! I had no idea.

And yeah, this is appalling. The whole piece echoes the hysteria of the '80s. As for posting from work... let that one who has not posted from work cast the first flame.

To be fair, I'm not sure Idaho is even aware that MASH has ended yet. So it might not be an 80s echo there, it's more of an arrival. :)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Having spent some time in Idaho I can say it's a great place to live. I do feel sorry for Clark Peterson given the spot he's in. It's difficult to see how these accusations are anything other than a smear campaign or a big misunderstanding, but I do hope everything is cleared up soon. This smells like it may be local politics given how some judgeships are elected. It would be nice if playing RPGs could simply be accepted as akin to playing boardgames or card games.

Janx

Hero
It seems that he's fallen into a trap. Everybody has a hobby outside of work. Everybody posts from work on some site (facebook anybody?).

But because 2 litigants didn't win their cases in his court, they did some digging and are using what they found against him by ignoring the fact that everybody (including judges) have lives outside of work.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases