D&D 5E Necromancer Management :) Please help :)

That means that you've made far more numerous assumptions about the scenario than I have. Not a very useful thing to do.

Nope. You're assuming enemy wizards with Fireball, a Necromancer who has Counterspell prepared, a Necromancer in range to Counterspell, tight quarters that hit lots of skeletons per Fireball, and no other PCs available to Counterspell.

I'm assuming a game with feats, so that Inspiring Leader is an option (either on the Necromancer or a good buddy like a partymate), a DM who's willing to run Inspiring Leader as written, and skeletons who understand the same language as whoever is using Inspiring Leader.

Interesting, that. You've both dismissed my statement as if it were incorrect and agreed with it in the same post.

It's just possible that you're oversensitive about who might or might not be "dismissing" you as "incorrect". Try "overbroad".

Valetudo

Explorer
Honestly if a player really tried this crap in my groups the other players would probably thrash him/Her verbally before throwing them out.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yep.
You're assuming enemy wizards with Fireball, a Necromancer who has Counterspell prepared, a Necromancer in range to Counterspell, tight quarters that hit lots of skeletons per Fireball, and no other PCs available to Counterspell.
I'm not actually assuming any of those things.

I was using a singular example of what assumptions that I was making, the full, and very brief list of which, are thus: enemies with area attacks exist; spell slots can be used to make your minions perform better, you aren't always going to have ideal battlefields for so many creatures, and absolutely nothing about the rest of the party.

You appeared to be making the following assumptions: the area attack, spell slot, and battlefield assumptions that I had made, and also character level, that feats are allowed, a specific feat someone in the party had taken, the relevant stats of whichever party member had taken said feat, and the damage output of area attacks faced.

So, as I said, more assumption than I had actually made.

It's just possible that you're oversensitive about who might or might not be "dismissing" you as "incorrect". Try "overbroad".
Try overbroad? Don't mind if I do. Here goes:

You express your opinion in an overbroad fashion that makes it seem to some readers as though you believe yourself to be stating fact, rather than opinion. Apparently it causes misunderstandings.

How'd I do?

Ok. So what I get from this is:

Don't make 168 skele's cause peeps might get pissed unless something REALLY big comes up I guess.

Use coins to represent for the various minions I summon.

Have Counterspell and try not to get my minions killed because AOE stuff is awkward to deal with.

Use things other than skeletons.

Use website for dice rolls and at least group them up as a mob rather than roll them all over and over again.

Anything else I should add/I missed? :)

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
You could combine a bunch of them into a swarm and have only 4-6 'monsters' to track.

You can also get paper minis with plastic bases. Print off the number you need and the plastic bases keep them standing better than folding it over. You could also use cheap metal washers and a glue gun.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Oh :):):):) . . . I just realised . . . Where could I get this many board pieces? :)

https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Army-S...rd_wg=snWP3&psc=1&refRID=PV0VG9MZGCRSEJ3TQEBX

Though a bag of green army men might be cheaper. Or print out tokens. Or steal all the plastic figures from that Axis and Allies games that's been in the back of the closet since the '90s.

I had a board game called Zombies! that came with a whole mess of them I took when i had an invasion going on.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Honestly if a player really tried this crap in my groups the other players would probably thrash him/Her verbally before throwing them out.

Oh yeah, there is this. The player's turn would take 15 minutes, and half way through the other players would lynch him. Assuming the DM let it happen at their table in the first place.

But it's like a train wreck, I can't look away.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Here's the thing, high level play is different than low and mid tier play. By the time you have the power to raise that many undead, you and your cohort likely have a great deal of influence on the world and politics. You may be able to raise that undead, but your fellow fighter in the party may also be given a title and named general of the king's army, while the cleric is the Bishop or even higher of his congregation. When you control so many undead, it's not assumed that you would take them on adventures with you, but rather delegate their actions through more intelligent undead towards larger scale, long term goals. While you theoretically could raise and bring those undead with you on adventures, it becomes a different kind of game and too unwieldy for the rules as given. It is more reasonable to assume that your necromancer might bring along his personal guard of 2, maybe three more powerful undead (perhaps one being the slain corpse of an enemy that wronged him and now forced into servitude in death).

Eh. A 12th level Necromancer's skeletons have 25 HP, plus any temp HP they get from Inspiring Leader (probably +17 at that level). That means each skeleton can take two or three Fireballs to the face before going down, which is great because now you don't have to be so concerned with being close enough to Fireball anything that targets them.

Normally you try to keep your skeletons dispersed so that any given AoE only hits a few of them, but if there are 100 of them then you probably can't disperse them that much if you're in a confined area like a cave, so HP becomes more important. Hence the attraction of more tougher, permanent minions like the super-Wights, and controlled Mummy Lords, and if you know a friendly druid maybe a coven or two of Hags spamming Counterspells and Lightning Bolts of their own.

We play totally different games.

Remove ads