Need a 'ranged' weapon for my Warden.

Making your main weapon into +1 Farbond Spellblade Kopesh is another option. You can throw it as a heavy thrown weapon with 5/10 range.

You beat me to it ;) The downside is you give up the chance of a more interesting enchantment on it, but you do end up with a moderately effective ranged attack.

Overall I'd go with the javelin solution though. It is simple and low cost. If it turns out it doesn't fit your needs then you can always pick up a different option.

Minifig

First Post
In the long run after discussing things over with my GM.. (mostly just a one line conversation with him saying: 'Just remember you may need something if you come across a monster that flies or is not within the reach of your weapon.') I decided not to go with a Javelin, as I don't plan on throwing it anymore, but instead, I went with a Longspear.

7 VS AC for my character's stats.. 1d10, and has a 2 reach, I also have +2 Proficiency in it.

So, I get my desired effect. I can reach out and smack something if I need, but I'll have to put away my Khopesh and shield to do it. It'll be okay as I'm wearing Hide armor.

Last edited:

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Well... a longspear doesn't really give you that much more range... after all, you could shift and attack as a move action (plus standard for the attack) rather than pulling out the spear and stowing your other items.

Besides, you pretty much have to give up your entire turn to swap weapons (stow minor kopesh, stow standard shield, minor (using your move action) to equip spear).

Personally, unless/until you can get a magic weapon that lets you use your kopesh at range (in Paragon, the Blade of the Eldritch Knight might work, as it gives you reach 5), I would simply use javellins - cheap, easy to come by, and you can stow your kopesh, draw a javellin and throw it all in one turn... or with a feet like quickdraw, you can even re-equip your kopesh.

And really, its not doing THAT much less damage than the kopesh... they both have the same proficiency and both get your strength to hit and damage (as javellins are heavy thrown), so the only real difference is d6 vs. d8 and the fact your heavy blade expertise doesn't apply (but it wouldn't for the longspear either). So the difference is really only -2 to hit and damage, as you lose out on expertise and the enchantment bonus of your kopesh... not that bad for a backup weapon. To boot, that's only -2 damage from the spear while being a whole lot more action efficient in swapping and giving you a range you a range of 20 rather than 2.

Because, face it, if a flying creature isn't going to come down into 1 square away from you, chances are its not going to spend much more time 2 squares away from you. It is, however, unlikely to have a range of more than 20, allowing you to pepper it with javellins if it does fly in to attack.

Last edited:

Minifig

First Post
That's a dang good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I picked up three javs to be on the safe side and got rid of the L.Spear.

igniz13

First Post
Stuff the reach weapon, get the Melee 2 at-will instead of one of your other at-wills.

Replace expertise in blades for expertise in axes, handaxes will be covered under that so you'll have those as an option if one comes up.

Lastly, there's a shield which can be thrown in AV. Get that.

Ryujin

Legend
Farbond Spellblade Glaive for the win! Reach weapon that can reach out and touch someone 5 squares away, for a MBA. Still a good idea to have a heavy thrown weapon like a javelin or handaxe around, for those times when you can't otherwise hit, but an effective reach of 5 with MBAs is frequently plenty.

Would likely give great flavour to a polearm Warden too. You look like you're just doing weapon kata but, mysteriously through the power of ol' Mother Nature, wounds start appearing on the opponent who is 20 feet away.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Well, usually, in 4e, especially at Heroic tier, adventures don't require a strength-based melee PC to have something beyond javelins or other backup heavy thrown weapons.

If an encounter requires you more than that, something unusual is going on. Unless that encounter is simply of poor design, the encounter is something not meant to be solved by simple fire against fire (maybe there is some terrain or magical device which you can use for your advantage), you are not expected to win that combat (recommended to retreat), and such.

Remove ads