• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need advice on playing a beguiler

Driddle

First Post
If there's only two players, each with two characters, it might prove beneficial to develop an easy-to-channel personality (i.e. play a stereotype) for your bard/beguiler so it'll be easier to swap back and forth with your other PC. The side benefit of the approach is that certain game mechanic options will become much more obvious as you flesh out the personality.

If, for example, you plan to be the "utility" guy or someone who can step up to handle almost any odd task, hold in your head the image of your PC proudly declaring, "I can do that!" as he pushes everyone else aside to apply his skills, feats, minor spells, whatever. ... Alternately, if he's the sort of dude who's a little more cautious -- "Careful, careful, careful!" -- you're going to pick magic and other elements that can help protect his friends, peek around corners and keep enemies at distance.

So there's my tip: Pick a catch-phrase that helps define his outlook and interaction with others.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Rafael Ceurdepyr said:
Thanks, Stuart! This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Anyone else?

All right, I'm basically going to treat the PC as a Beguiler who has a -1 level adjustment. I've been playing a Beguiler up to 5th level so far, and I've had a blast.

1. Keep your Bluff score maxed and speak several languages. On at least three separate occasions I've been able to gain us a combat advantage by confusing the enemy with a well-timed bluff. I once got a group of goblins to open a set of fortress doors. I once convinced an evil mephit we were there to become acolytes of her dark god.

Once you get the Glibness spell (+30 to bluff checks), you'll be able to convince anyone of anything for at least a couple of rounds. Use this ability wisely.

2. I took the Spell Focus: Enchantment & Unsettling Enchantment feats. Even when my spells fail, at least the opponent suffers a set-back anyway.

3. Max out Tumble. Max out Use Magic Device. Max out Search. Don't worry too much about Open Locks, since you get Knock as a second level spell. I took 1 rank, plus some masterwork thieves' tools plus a decent dex, and I can get up to a DC 25 lock on a take 20.

4. Take Distract Assailment (Spell Compendium) as your first advanced learning. It's a great spell to spam opponents as a Swift Action every round.

5. You are not there to do direct damage. You are there to help your friends do direct damage. Buff your friends, not yourself. Slap an Expedious Retreat on the party fighter so he can move around better. Put a Blur spell on the front line combatant.

6. That said.... Sleep is a great spell at level 2. Color Spray is a great spell. Glitterdust will become your bread and butter. When it comes to hindering your opponents, you're king. Don't bother with Whelm and the more advanced whelms unless your opponent has a really low will save and you want to take him alive.

7. Know every spell on your list backwards and forwards. Know what it can do. You never want to be embarrassed by remembering that you could have solved a problem with a spell you had on your list but forgot about. And you get a lot of "problem-solving spells". Comprehend Languages, Spider Climb, See Invisibility... you won't ast them every day, but when you need them you need them.

Oh, and bardic knowledge is not worth losing a spellcasting level. It's really not.

Driddle

First Post
Wolfwood2 said:
Oh, and bardic knowledge is not worth losing a spellcasting level. It's really not.

Depends on the DM and campaign -- how much information is given, its relative importance to the scenario, and how long the campaign lasts. Obviously, your experience suggests otherwise. Can't assume the same about others, however.

ShadowX

First Post
Be a gnome and take Shadowcrafter and Shadowcraft Mage. Take Heighten Spell at the very least and any other feats that will boost the effectiveness of your silent image spell. You now have a beguiler that can cast nearly every evocation and conjuration spell spontaneously along with its normal spell list. You might want to invest in Able Learner or some such because Shadowcrafter and Shadowcraft Mage don't have as comprehensive a skill list.

szilard

First Post
Is Bardic Knowledge really going to be that useful with only a single level of Bard? Isn't there a feat that gives something similar...?

-Stuart

Driddle

First Post
(people) said:
Bardic Knowledge bad

Sheesh, guys, give it a rest. He didn't ask to be second-guessed about the class choices already made; he's looking for help with what he's got now. So it doesn't do any good to keep harping on how worthless the bard level is.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Driddle said:
Depends on the DM and campaign -- how much information is given, its relative importance to the scenario, and how long the campaign lasts. Obviously, your experience suggests otherwise. Can't assume the same about others, however.

Then let me put it another way.

If bardic knowledge is needed for the campaign, I would suggest negotiating with the GM to have it as an alternate class feature of the Beguiler. Perhaps the Beguiler could give up Trapfinding and the bonus metamagic feats in exchange.

It just makes more sense.

Voadam

Legend
Rafael Ceurdepyr said:
Thanks, Stuart! This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Anyone else?

Social skills, traps, stealth, and knowledges are the skill strengths of these classes and can become your specialties.

Beguilers have mind affecting save or die type spells and distracting illusions, many good defensive illusions as well.

Combat you can be really good at knocking out people with color spray, ranged with sleep, or charming/hypnotizing prisoners to stop fighting you or to get them to give you useful information after combat. And that's just at low levels. Beware undead, constructs, vermin, plants, and outsiders with strong spell resistance. Against them use your distracting indirect illusions as your direct mind spells are unlikely to be effective.

I played a beguiler who was an eccentric adventurous chaotic elf very loquacious but not really tied down to reality. Said he learned his magic from djinnis, frost giants, and demon lords he beat at cards in the fey court. He was a lot of fun to play. Despite going through savage tide with a lot of vermin, undead, and constructs.

szilard

First Post
Wolfwood2 said:
7. Know every spell on your list backwards and forwards. Know what it can do. You never want to be embarrassed by remembering that you could have solved a problem with a spell you had on your list but forgot about. And you get a lot of "problem-solving spells". Comprehend Languages, Spider Climb, See Invisibility... you won't ast them every day, but when you need them you need them.

This bears repeating.

Seriously, you have some spells that you think you'll never cast (Rouse, for example). Don't forget about them. That one time that you need it, you'll be able to cast it... and it will be awesome as everyone looks at you and says, "You can do that?!"

Also, a few of your spells have secondary effects that you should remember. You get a lot of spells. You can afford to use them creatively.

Also, don't forget that you aren't just a spellcaster. You have more skill points and a better skill list than just about anyone in the game. Realize that some of your spells (Comprehend Languages, Disguise Self, Invisibility, Detect Thoughts, Knock, Spider Climb, Glibness, etc.) either give massive bonuses to skill checks or negate the need for them altogether... so maxing out those skills may not be your best move.

-Stuart

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads