• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need advice on playing a beguiler

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
I've already created a character who is a changeling bard 1/beguiler 1 and will be starting in a campaign this weekend. The EN World advice for choosing feats and building her were very useful, but now what I want to know is, what advice do those of you have who have played a beguiler? I've played a bard before (in a low-magic campaign), but never a magic user who was non-combat-focused. What are some unique uses of her spells? How do I play to her strengths? Basically I want to know how I can play her as a cool character and make her useful as a party member despite not being able to deal out wodges of melee damage.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Rafael Ceurdepyr said:
I've already created a character who is a changeling bard 1/beguiler 1 and will be starting in a campaign this weekend.
Advice: don't do that. You're gimping yourself as a Bard and as a Beguiler. Play a straight Beguiler instead, especially if you plan on playing for more than a couple of levels.

Cheers, -- N

szilard

First Post
You're the utility guy.

When faced with a problem that isn't best solved by bashing, the bequiler is usually just about the best there is at resolving it.

Your spell list doesn't have much in the way of combat spells, but it is incredibly flexible with respect to almost everything else - and you cast spontaneously from it.

At low levels, don't neglect your cantrips: Detect Magic is obviously useful, but Ghost Sound, Dancing Lights, and Message are all great given the right circumstances.

At first level, Silent Image is your workhorse. Get creative with it. Later spells will only build on what you can do with illusions.

Mobility: Don't forget that you have Expeditious Retreat, either. The ability to move around the battlefield and do stuff while others fight can be valuable - you might want to make sure you take ranks in Tumble. (Later spells that will help here: Spider Climb, Invisibility, Haste, Freedom of Movement, and Swift Etherealness.)

Face: You also have Comprehend Languages - the first of many spells that will make you a great Face (others include Detect Thoughts, Glibness, and Suggestion).

Lookout: At first level, you don't have great divinations, but you pick some up pretty quickly. (Detect Thoughts, See Invisibility, Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Locate Creature, etc) Combined with Mobility, this can make you an awesome scout. Combined with the Face stuff, you can often gain leverage over people with a bit of info you shouldn't have.

Battlefield Control: You may not be great at direct damage, but you have some great battlefield control spells that you start getting at mid levels. In addition to your illusions, you have various Fog spells, Legion of Sentinels, Vertigo Field, Zone of Silence, Confusion, etc. Similarly, you have spells like Halt and Hesitate - which are awesome in combat. (The problem is that most of these are 3rd level spells - they'll get used up quickly.)

Dispel Magic: You spontaneously cast Dispel Magic. That deserves a category of its own.

-Stuart

szilard

First Post
Nifft said:
Advice: don't do that. You're gimping yourself as a Bard and as a Beguiler. Play a straight Beguiler instead, especially if you plan on playing for more than a couple of levels.

Cheers, -- N

I'd generally agree with that. Why the Bard level?

-Stuart

smootrk

First Post
It might help to think of yourself as the 'magical rogue', right down to the 'sneak magical strike'. Although I agree with the advice to not listen to everyone's opinion, I would also not recommend bard. I have seen a bard/beguiler and although it seems like a great combo, the player in question felt short ended on both classes... in retrospect he wished he'd stayed primarily beguiler and dipped rogue instead (basically for evasion and a little extra sneaky fighting ability when in a pinch). The bard/beguiler did, however, have a lot of really low level (zero level) spells at his disposal, and had fun regardless.

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
You really don't want to play a bard/beguiler. You want to pick one class or the other, and then branch into the other's abilities with feats. Otherwise, your character will suck in relation to the characters of the other players.

Ken

Rafael Ceurdepyr

First Post
Nifft said:

The DM and I agreed on the Bard level so I'd get the Bardic Knowledge. There are only two players, each of us playing 2 PCs, so it works out for the roles we need for his campaign. I plan on keeping beguiler for many levels to come.

Besides, I have a really great mini I'm using for her. :)

Remove ads