D&D 5E Need help building a good warrior

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Here’s the deal: new game with my group is starting very shortly. PHB only, standard array will be used for stats. We’re starting at level 1.

We have a wizard (abjuror), cleric (life), rogue and ranger.

I want to play a warrior of some kind, but I don’t have a lot of experience playing warriors. I usually play wizards or clerics. I had one fighter I played for a while, but he was a sharpshooter, and I’m looking to try a melee guy.

What class would work best for me? Can somebody with more experience with warriors kind of map out the pros and cons between fighters, barbarians and paladins?

We’re starting at level 1, and I’m really not sure how high a level we will play to.

I’m not opposed to dipping a level or two in something else, but I just really want an effective character who can toe the frontline and stay there.

Thanks!

bid

First Post
You can form a wall with the cleric, but I hope rogue/ranger won't play the ranged game and leave you 2 alone in melee.
Standard array limits your stat choices.

Barbarogue is the ultimate wrestler.
Barbarian works great as a SnB tank and does enough damage to not be ignored by enemies. You can get shield master to shove with your BA and might dip rogue for expertise in athletics.
You will have a hard time with standard array which imposes Str16 Dex13 Con16 unless you go mountain dwarf, half-elf or vuman (if allowed).
Damage is its own defense, but GWM or TWF lower AC don't tank well when the run out of rage in long days.

BM fighter have commander's strike, the rogue will be your best friend.
Heavy armor only need Str16 / Con16, standard array is no issue. This also allows to reach AC19 with PAM, although I feel sentinel SnB is better.

Paladin have aura of protection and smite.
You need half-elf Str16 Con14 Cha16 to get the most of standard array. I don't like Con13, resilient(Con) comes too late. Cha13 makes aura pointless.
Devotion is a hard to beat classic, but I prefer ancient RP-wise.

Logan McFarland

First Post
Are you able to start as a V. Human or not? If yes, then this is a really strong build.

2 Barb/6 Battle Master

1. Barb (PAM)(Gives rage, and makes you double your HP pool.)
2. Fighter (GWF)
3. Fighter
4. Fighter (Battle Master, pick your menuevers. I say 100% Precision Strike and two others.)
5. Fighter (GWM)
6. Barb (Advantage, plus you already are making two attacks thanks to your PAM.)
7. Fighter (Extra Attack)
8. Fighter (Sentinel, though this is debatable between this or a +2 on stat.)

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Are you able to start as a V. Human or not? If yes, then this is a really strong build.

2 Barb/6 Battle Master

1. Barb (PAM)(Gives rage, and makes you double your HP pool.)
2. Fighter (GWF)
3. Fighter
4. Fighter (Battle Master, pick your menuevers. I say 100% Precision Strike and two others.)
5. Fighter (GWM)
6. Barb (Advantage, plus you already are making two attacks thanks to your PAM.)
7. Fighter (Extra Attack)
8. Fighter (Sentinel, though this is debatable between this or a +2 on stat.)

Vhuman= variant human, correct? That’s in the PHB, so it’s allowed.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I had some ideas.

One was something I saw on another forum. I won’t link it here, because it probably isn’t allowed. I feel it would be in poor taste.

Anyway, that idea was to go with a half orc eldritch knight who eventually dips paladin for two levels, so he can smite. I think the idea is cool, I think it’ll be powerful, but I also can’t help but think going mono-class paladin instead would be more powerful, even if you lose the shield spell, which goes so far in keeping you safe. Starting stats are STR 16 DEX 10 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 12 CHA 13.

Another idea is to go half elf paladin and multiclass sorcerer later for more spell slots. Good times to abandon paladin are levels 6 and 12. STR 16 DEX 10 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 12 CHA 16.

A third idea is to go half orc barbarian. Yes, it’s cliché and yes it’s been done. Never by me, but it is powerful and looks like fun. STR 16 DEX 13 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 12

Another idea was the half orc champion. Just crit-fish a whole lot. This sounds like a bit too much of a one-trick pony for my taste. While it might be effective, I’m afraid I’d get bored with it. STR 16 DEX 12 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 13 CHA 10

Finally, a half elf paladin/ valor bard. I have a feeling this looks better on paper than it would be playing it, since I won’t have access to the cantrips from SCAG. The idea is to be a paladin of the god of music, so it doesn’t really feel like multiclassing. You start paladin 2, and then take all levels in bard. The reason I say it looks better on paper is you would be missing extra attack until character level 8. Without the SCAG cantrips to help alleviate this, which would be difficult without SCAG, as you’d need the half elf variant so you could choose a cantrip at level 1. I feel like 3 levels is a long time in game and that this character would feel behind the curve for that time. Otherwise, you have a level 20 character that has access to wish and is a level 9 spellcaster. You have more spells to smite away than any other paladin. You have extra attack and you can pretty much do it all. STR 16 DEX 10 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 12 CHA 16.

What looks best? Do any of these need tweaks to be better? Can you please suggest an aternate?

Thank you so much.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Yes while it's in the PHB, some DM's don't allow it or move the first level feat, back until you hit level 4 as it's incredibly powerful!

Thanks. I could adjust stats and switch to variant human in my suggested build point.

I also like the one you suggested, as well as the few suggested by bid. Thank you both.

I would not male it too complicated. Standard array mountain dwarf fighter. Str 17, dex 12, con 16, int 10, wis 13, cha 8.
You won't suck in melee, you have ok saving throws, good armor and high strength. At least quite soon.

If you want it a bit more interesting, variant human fighter with heavy armor mastery won't be bad. You cam have Str and Con 16. I advise putting 13 into wisdom so you can take resilient at level 8 latest.

Another good dirst level feat is lucky or tough to feel like having 18 con from level 1.

If you like, you can also start with magic adept for the shield spell and useful cantrips like light and maybe message or so.

Shield master is also a cool variant as variant human, allowing you to take down enemies as a bonus action and it also helps vs spells.

Last but not least, just being a half orc fighter or a half elf for fighter works too. Darkvision is always nice and half orc gives an unvaluable ability to not go down while half elf gives quasi free +2 charisma and 2 skills to help with social encounters.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I would not male it too complicated. Standard array mountain dwarf fighter. Str 17, dex 12, con 16, int 10, wis 13, cha 8.
You won't suck in melee, you have ok saving throws, good armor and high strength. At least quite soon.

If you want it a bit more interesting, variant human fighter with heavy armor mastery won't be bad. You cam have Str and Con 16. I advise putting 13 into wisdom so you can take resilient at level 8 latest.

Another good dirst level feat is lucky or tough to feel like having 18 con from level 1.

If you like, you can also start with magic adept for the shield spell and useful cantrips like light and maybe message or so.

Shield master is also a cool variant as variant human, allowing you to take down enemies as a bonus action and it also helps vs spells.

Last but not least, just being a half orc fighter or a half elf for fighter works too. Darkvision is always nice and half orc gives an unvaluable ability to not go down while half elf gives quasi free +2 charisma and 2 skills to help with social encounters.
With standard array, how can I get two 6's on a variant human?

Remove ads