Need help dealing with a melee character in a predominately ranged combat setting...

kenobi65

First Post
Saying "he's hard of learning" or "he's nuts" sounds like it's not helpful advice (even if it's truthful).

If you truly want to cater to him (and it sounds like you do), make sure that at least some of the combats occur at such a range that he can close to melee before they're over (since it also sounds like he's about dead-set against ANYTHING that will help him move faster, too).

And, get him a weapon that'll help him at least begin to approach some of the damage output of DS blasters.

Also, encourage the other players to take Precise Shot, since they'll be firing into melee more than they'd like.

One question, though:
Invisibility: Too easy to trump with infra vision

??? No such thing as infravision anymore, unless it's something in DS that I'm not remembering (or unless it's a house rule of yours). Darkvision (the 3E replacement) doesn't penetrate invisibility.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Elder-Basilisk said:
Well, if he doesn't want to do anything that will help his character survive, just kill him until he gets the picture.

I second that emotion. If he's made the character he wants to play, start rolling the dice and let fate take its course.

-The Gneech :cool:

Storyteller01

First Post
kenobi65 said:
One question, though:

??? No such thing as infravision anymore, unless it's something in DS that I'm not remembering (or unless it's a house rule of yours). Darkvision (the 3E replacement) doesn't penetrate invisibility.

It's my short hand for infra red or thermal vision. In DS, spells such as invisibility effect the visible light spectrum. Anyone with equipment that views other wavelengths (ultraviolet, infra red, etc) is uneffected by the spell.

Storyteller01

First Post
The_Gneech said:
I second that emotion. If he's made the character he wants to play, start rolling the dice and let fate take its course.

-The Gneech :cool:

I might have to. We'll see where it goes.

Love your e-comic, by the way. :)

Breakdaddy

First Post
It sounds like the player almost *wants* his PC to die. He seems to be rejecting common sense solutions to his shortcoming to his own detriment. In light of this fact, I am going to throw my hat in with those that say let the fellow learn the hard way.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Not sure if it's the case, but almost like he wants to play a jedi or something?

Some method of parrying ranged fire, coupled with evasion might work.

Although it could well mess with your setting too much tbh.

In the right kind of scenario he could shine? Anything cramped and he should be a terror for his gun weilding opponents. Spaceship coridoors spring to mind for me.

Refusing the sensible sounding ideas you've offered already does make me wonder though...

Remove ads