Need help with a captured villains humorous escape

kalil

Explorer
I take it you dont DM much anymore... right?

Although if they get captured in the future, I could bury them in the same manner... I'd never put them into an unwinnable situation as railroading would just breed resentment and I like to keep things fun.

I DM more or less every week for the last 30 years or so. It is just that perverse torture-hobos would find little enjoyment at my table. Karma, you know, cause and effect, all that. No-one at my table would enjoy a tale about extended and grotesque torture of a defenseless victim.

Out of curiosity; why did they care what was the "least evil" way to deal with him? So they could avoid it? Your players does seem to make Hallibal Lectre seem like silent little lamb with their utter and gruesome evil.

GHammy26

Explorer
I DM more or less every week for the last 30 years or so. It is just that perverse torture-hobos would find little enjoyment at my table. Karma, you know, cause and effect, all that. No-one at my table would enjoy a tale about extended and grotesque torture of a defenseless victim.

Out of curiosity; why did they care what was the "least evil" way to deal with him? So they could avoid it? Your players does seem to make Hallibal Lectre seem like silent little lamb with their utter and gruesome evil.

Hmm, just re-read what I wrote and it sounds incredibly condescending, to which I apologise.

One of the characters was just going to kill the guy seeing as he had been raiding a town and probably killed a fair few innocents... the others (being good) decided that this was evil and stopped him. After a bunch of arguing they decided that tying him up against a tree would mean animals could get him and they couldn't just let him go or he'd alert the enemy camp. this is why they buried him deciding to take him back to the town prison once they'd cleared the raiders camp.

They all roleplay incredibly well, talking in their respective characters and rarely metagame. So imagine a really stupid Good Paladin whom is easily lead, a good druid who has no idea about society and a good drunken dwarven monk having an argument with a clever true neutral (verging on evil) Warlock (who wanted to kill the guy in the first place) and a chaotic neutral (genuinely doesn't give a crap about anything other than gold) Ranger about what is good.

The warlock can manipulate the others with ease and I find it hilarious.

This is why they came to the conclusion burying him up to his neck with a spoon in his mouth was the best idea (the spoon to give him the chance to escape which made it overall good in their eyes). They keep feeding and watering him so he doesn't die, not knowing that they are just prolonging the torture. The warlock knows this and finds it hilarious (hence the bucket).

G

kalil

Explorer
Fair enough. No hard feelings. That paladin would be stripped of his powers and looking for attonement in an instant at my table. Maybe let the poor chap die and make the paladin seek out the bandits family and help them out with an old family curse to attone for his crimes? Not humorous, but could give the PCs some time to consider that maybe you become a bandit for a reason. Could be an interesting side quest :)

GHammy26

Explorer
If they go into the tavern and don't immediately attack him, I'll get him to tell them his sob story about a cursed family or something. Could be fun to witness the apathy from the warlock and ranger compared to the exact opposite from the paladin whom would be drawn in, even if it was an obviously fake story.

G

Herobizkit

Adventurer
How about some giant ants/ant humanoid soldiers/some kind of burrowing thing happens on him and drags him away to an underground lair, where he becomes their/its king? :3

Tavern name: A Pot to Piss In.

Unwise

Adventurer
If the tavern was called, The Choking Bear, then the PCs would be drawn to investigate it and actually discover the guy of their own accord.

If they cause trouble, they find that he is now considered a Favored Soul of Tymora. Any Tymora cleric can clearly see that he was saved for some purpose by such a stroke of luck. So if the PCs pick on him, then they soon find themselves on the wrong side of the faithful.

Being "blessed by Tymora" means that his bar has more than the usual amount of theives and scoundrels that hang out there, considering it lucky.

If the PCs investigate more, they find that he is actually a Bethshaba(sp?) the goddess of misfortune worshipper. It was her blessing that saved him, by cursing the bear, not Tymora.

I see the fez being invented/adopted by fans who wear it in honour of the bucket. And he's going to have fans. "you killed a bear using just your teeth and a spoon??!!"

How about Beyond the Pail?

GHammy26

Explorer
If the tavern was called, The Choking Bear, then the PCs would be drawn to investigate it and actually discover the guy of their own accord.

If they cause trouble, they find that he is now considered a Favored Soul of Tymora. Any Tymora cleric can clearly see that he was saved for some purpose by such a stroke of luck. So if the PCs pick on him, then they soon find themselves on the wrong side of the faithful.

Being "blessed by Tymora" means that his bar has more than the usual amount of theives and scoundrels that hang out there, considering it lucky.

If the PCs investigate more, they find that he is actually a Bethshaba(sp?) the goddess of misfortune worshipper. It was her blessing that saved him, by cursing the bear, not Tymora.

Very good! I really like this idea!

I see the fez being invented/adopted by fans who wear it in honour of the bucket. And he's going to have fans. "you killed a bear using just your teeth and a spoon??!!"

And combining it with this idea is brilliant! the thieves and scoundrels flock to him to hear how he bested a bear with his quick thinking and a spoon. Could may be the start of a cult, so if the PC's do nothing to interrupt the process he could turn into a BBEG blessed by Bethshaba's grace.

You guys are awesome thank you!

Any more ideas are welcome of course but I don't know if anyone can beat this one =P

G

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Is it a shiny spoon? Many creatures like shiny objects; maybe a pseudodragon comes along and helps him out.

Or, maybe it just rains really hard. The earth softens enough for him to dig out. Or better yet, he's swept away by a flood; this would make a nice visual for when the party returns to see how he's doing and instead of a guy in a bucket they find a gully.

Hypnotizing a bulette with a shiny spoon and then teaching it to do tricks would probably also be a pretty good way to make a lot of money as a traveling show. Maybe this guy shows up not as a pub owner but a circus owner...

Remove ads