• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with my rogue's feats

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
two said:
You almost certainly want Point Blank Shot, followed by Rapid Shot.

Ignore precise shot. It is a bad feat for rogues. If you are shooting into melee (which precise shot helps deal with), a) you did not win initiative/it's probably not the first round of combat, thus, b) your foes are not flat-footed, and c) you won't get sneak attack dice.

So instead of using the bow after the enemy is aware/engaged, that's the time to flank (carefully) and attack with a melee weapon (and retreat if you take damage) getting sneak attack dice damage.

Really, for an archer-rogue, Precise Shot+Rapid Shot are great. Why? Because if you get initiative, the enemy is flatfooted (no dex. bonus) and this fact help you hit with the -2/-2 rapid shot penalty (-1/-1 after precise shot). Plus, both shots get sneak attack dice, of course (within 30'). That can put a big 1st round hurt on stuff.
I may be remembering wrong, but I think only the first attack in a sequence gets the benefit of "precision-based damage" (which is what Sneak Attack damage is). I may well be wrong, though, as a cursory glance through the SRD did not find a reference.

My advice would be similar to those presented above. You want to pick up Point Blank Shot, followed by Rapid Shot, as soon as humanly possible. If you're playing a human, you can have both at first level. If not, you'll have to wait until third level. The next Feat you take should probably be Improved Initiative (for a nonhuman, that takes you through level 6). Far Shot is probably a big help at Level 9, where you won't be in the dungeons and may be in some long-range situations, though Manyshot is also not a bad choice. Whichever of the two you don't pick up at level nine should be picked up at level 12. A human should pick up Far Shot at level 6 (since he won't have the BAB to qualify for Manyshot at level 6) and Manyshot at level 9.

At higher levels, Improved Critical or Weapon Focus aren't bad choices, either, but the ones above are the "must-haves" if you're building a support archer - particularly one that deals with Sneak Attack damage.

Oh, and if you're planning way ahead, make sure to take "Crippling Strike" as your rogue's 10th level special ability. Nothing like taking points off your opponent's Str score with each hit :) - it may help you bring down big guys without having to knock off all their hp (just reduce Str to 0), too.

So there you go: Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Initiative, Farshot/Manyshot, Manyshot/Farshot (in that order), and "Crippling Strike Ability." After that, you're on your own. ;)

--The Sigil

Swack-Iron

First Post
[q]As a rogue, you need to go first.[/q]

I played a 3rd-ed. melee-based rogue for almost 2 years, and I never found this to be true. If you go the melee route, then anything that enhances flanking is the way to go.

Last edited:

iwatt

First Post
Swack-Iron said:
[q]As a rogue, you need to go first.[/q]

I played a 3rd-ed. melee-based rogue for almost 2 years, and I never found this to be true. If you go the melee route, then anything that enhances flanking is the way to go.

I agree.
read: Spring attack. add a Brabarian level for those +10 feat. Mix in with boots of S&S or even better a wand of Expeditious retreat. Voila, your melee rogue has become himself a missile weapon. That sneak attack's anything except very high level barbs or rogues.

Darklone

The Sigil said:
I may be remembering wrong, but I think only the first attack in a sequence gets the benefit of "precision-based damage" (which is what Sneak Attack damage is). I may well be wrong, though, as a cursory glance through the SRD did not find a reference.
That's an old rumour/houserule of some guys who like the rogue weaker. Every attack for which your enemy loses his dex bonus to AC is considered a sneak attack.

Snipehunt

First Post
I'd second improved initiative - you have to go first.

Alertness is a feat you'll be kicking yourself for having in about 4 levels - your spot and listen will be fine w/o it.

IME, the rogue is better off getting one good shot in than multiple bad ones, once using up the feat was factored in, but YMMV.trea

My 3.0 rogue (who was a combat fighter - low str, high con compared to yours) did this:

Improved Initiative
Weapon Finesse
Quickdraw
Flick-of-the-Wrist (From SaS - free sneak attack a/combat)

Not a power PC, but did pretty good. By 9th level, she could get a sneak attack in surprise (bow, usually), one sneak attacks on round one (bow), one sneak attack on round two (FotW), which was usually enough - that was 20d6 in sneak attack damage in 12 seconds.

Thanee

First Post
Improved Initiative is a great feat, nothing wrong to do with that one.

If you want to keep the archery focus, then you need Point Blank Shot (and later Rapid Shot)!

However, your sneak attacks will happen far less often, if you use archery in combat, because flanking is usually the main source for rogue sneak attacks and only possible in melee.

Bye
Thanee

Zad said:
I would suggest thinking beyond just your feat at 3rd. What about 6th? 9th? Where do you want to be by 12th? I think you'll be better off if you plan a long term progression.

She eventually will take levels in the Ninja Spy PrC from OA.

jgsugden

Legend
For an archer rogue, I'd go after II, PBS, RS and then Manyshot. Getting off multiple arrows as sneak attacks in the surprise round is the best use of manyshot.

Thanee

First Post
jgsugden said:
For an archer rogue, I'd go after II, PBS, RS and then Manyshot. Getting off multiple arrows as sneak attacks in the surprise round is the best use of manyshot.

You get Sneak Attack only for a single arrow!

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads