D&D 4E Nentir Vale lore pdfs for the uninitiated DM?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Hi!
I want to mash up my current DCC campaign region with another region. Looking at the Nentir Vale map, the group would enter from the east through the Dawnforge Mountains. The PCs would be from cultures completely separate from the Nentir Vale and worship different gods.

I have zero interest in 4E rules because I'm using a completely different system, but I'm interested in pdf titles that provide setting info. Your opinions and insights on any of these products are welcomed 🙂

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
As I'm given to understand, there's no actual gazetteer or "campaign setting" proper for the Nentir Vale (one was scheduled to be released in 2011, but was subsequently cancelled). To my knowledge, one of the best repositories of information about the setting is probably Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale (affiliate link), for reasons that Shannon Appelcline explains in the product history on the linked sales page:

For the roleplaying line, the best spotlight on the Nentir Vale was actually Threats to Nentir Vale itself. Though there are just a couple of pages of actual background, the monster and faction write-ups are all filled with information on how they fit into the history and ecology of the Nentir Vale. Just as Greyhawk was once primarily defined by D&D's oldest adventures, now the Nentir Vale was largely described through these monster encounters (and the core 4e adventures).

Undrave

Legend
Hm… that’ll be kinda hard because a lot of the lore of the Nentir Vale lore is spread all over the 4e Core Products, and some of it contradicts each other on purpose. You can start with the first DMG to get the proper introduction at least. Then you gotta learn about Bael-Turath, Arkhosia and Nerath.

A lot of the expanded lore depends on how much you want to use the Cosmology of that world.

Remove ads