Nentir Vale/World of Nerath Information/Links?

MoutonRustique

Explorer
Dat's a lotta dimp!

Any of them any good?
It depends what you're looking for - if you're in the market for fairly simple/straightforward adventures, then most of the Chaos Scar are very nice. If you're looking for deep political intrigue... not so much.

On the whole, I've found the Dungeon adventures (well, the Heroic Tier ones) to be almost excellent. They do about 80% of what I want them to and I can adapt them to my tastes in about 2 hours of work. For me, this is excellent.

But there are some very bland ones in there, and quite a few are very much : "Go there, kill all, rinse, repeat" - so, yeah...

So here's my final (hopefully helpful) advice:

For most adventures, I've found the synopsis to be an excellent gauge. Most adventures have fairly bland interaction with the world (but I don't fault them for this - being published for the greatest number, they kinda need to be fairly vanilla... IMO). For most adventures that fit what you want to do, the workload required to make them great is fairly small.

Plus, since upleveling and downleveling is easy, the applicability of each adventure is pretty wide. (This gets a bit harder to do with Paragon and Epic tier adventure because WotC understood Paragon as [takes place in the Underdark, Feywild or Shadowfell] and Epic as [takes place in the Astral]... without a real change in scope if you will.)

That's my take on it - it would be wise to get more than one opinion on this.

I second everything MoutonRustique said.

The PoL/Nerath/Nentir Vale setting is one of my favourite campaign worlds and I'm currently running a game set in the Vale. You have to really see it as a sandbox setting because, as MR said, there aren't any adventures for it that rely on interwoven complicated storylines or intrigue. They do present interesting hooks and places with often interesting NPCs and monsters. You have to work from there on your own. 4E is in itself a game that can thrive on improvisation and so it is maybe best to see the world creation and published adventures as bricks that can be assembled how you and your players wish to do it. Threats to the Nentir Vale is THE ressource if you want to run a campaign this way. My campaign featured three Shadar-kai outlaws and former Shadofell generals as antagonists. I found them under the entry for "Raven Roost Bandits" fleshed them out a bit and now they are enemies that my players love to hate. :) (Okay, the PCs killed all of them one by one, but who says that they can't come back and haunt my players again?)

And here is a rather impressive document that amassed every. single. info. about the Nentir Vale from the official products. The guy who did it is insane. You can find it here. Go to the seventh post and click on the link.

Oh and there is a small blog from long ago that I cherish: Dungeons and Doodles. The artist started it by drawing wonderful illustrations of some of the Nentir Vale's iconic places. Go a bit back in the timeline and you will find simply wonderful pieces of art for the Vale.

thanson02

Explorer
Side note, did any of the Nentir Vale adventures get translated to 5e?
Nope. The closest references in 5E are a few mentions in the Dungeon Master's Guide and one of the latest play tests mention the Raven Queen.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I enjoyed them. The Point of Lights system in spots can be really barebone and it was nice to have some story fluff to kind of get a sense of the feel.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

In a genius borne of neglect, WotC turned a Campaign Setting into an archaeological research project.

AslanC

Explorer
So we started tonight and are doing the Kobold Hall adventure from the 4e DMG... after that they are able to go to Keep on the Shadowfell, but I realize there is a LOT of area between the two locations. Are there any adventures on the road from here to there?

Remove ads