Net - what does attacking one mean?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
In the description of a net, it states

"An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist check (a full-round action). The net has 5 hit points and can be burst with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action)."

Ok - you can get out with an escape artist check or a strength check.

Or, apparently, you can automatically cause damage to it, and you just need 5 points to escape.

Is that what this means? Or does the lack of any presented option to attack the net mean that attacking the net you're in is not an option. Or that it follows normal rules for sundering?

Bearing in mind that the penalties for being netted are fairly insignificant, and that a net is an exotic weapon...

AGGEMAM

First Post
The rules for being entangled are IMO extremely vague.

Appearantly you can attack the net with a Great Axe if you so choose because it's not disallowed by the rules.

I would restrict it to light weapons, and probably also change it to 'may only take a tandard or move action' instead of moving 'at half speed'. Though I would still impose the can't run or charge restriction.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Entanglement doesn't necessarily mean complete coverage by the net. Entanglement coudl mean the net has tangled with your legs, an arm, or your helm for example. having too many stipulations for the abstract form of entanglement could make the net a little too strong in combat (not that I wouldn't mind seeing this a bit). technically one can still fight and attack while entangled by a net (only a -2 attack penalty).

Technically wouldn't an attack on the net constitute a sunder attempt? Afterall you are attacking your opponent's weapon (the net). So it should be worked out as a a Sudner attack as normal. The AC of the object calculated as a held object, they have that in D&D somewhere right?

Remove ads