Netflix or Love Film (in the UK)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
So, I want to start up a subscription to either Netflix or Lovefilm. Neither of them wants to put their UK catalogue out in public much (perhaps because it suffers so much in comparison to their US catalogue!).

Has anyone had experience with either or both? Prepared to give a recommendation based upon their experience?

Any information gratefully accepted!

Cheers

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not living in the UK, I have no experience with either company's service there.

My experience with Netflix here in the US has been almost entirely positive. I use them quite frequently for both streaming content and DVDs, and have no complaints to speak of.

I have never so much as heard of "Lovefilm".

Jhaelen

First Post
I'd say it depends on how you intend to use it. I've subscribed to Lovefilm because I'm not interested in streaming content (which is where Lovefilm is very weak, currently). The big plus for me is that I can keep the DVDs they send me for as long as I want, since it often takes weeks until I get around to watch them. They also offer all the TV shows which is a big plus for me. Since Lovefilm belongs to Amazon they basically have every title you can think of.

I don't have any experience with Netflix, though. I didn't even know, they also offer sending DVDs...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So I have Netflix, and a friend has Lovefilm. We only use them for streaming, so I can't comment on DVDs or the like. That said, here's the lowdown:

1) Neither of them have much in terms of quantity. Both have very weak catalogues, and are only shadows of what the US gets with Netflix. That may change one day, but it hasn't in the last year or so.

2) That said they're both pretty cheap. £6 per month, I think?

3) Of the two, Netflix is better. It's not good, but it's better than Lovefilm.

4) Library size aside, both work perfectly.

There's also Sky Now; I don't know how much stuff that has.

The problem is what I keep hearing on the car radio - one of the three will have an ad proudly announcing that it has secured exclusive rights to show, say Mad Men (just as a ranndom show). All three do this, so to get anything resembling a half-decent library, you have to subscribe to all three. And even then, it's a tenth or so of what the US gets.

Basically, there's so much licensing/IP negotiating/battling going on over these services here right now that the consumer just loses out completely. It's sad.

But it is cheap as hell, and if you only watch a couple of movies or something a month, it's paid for itself, which is why I still have it. Plus your account lets you watch stuff on any device, any location - I can give my brother my Netflix password, and he can watch the new House of Cards, for example.

Last edited:

Jupp

Explorer
A friend has Love Film in Germany and he is very happy with it but given that such services vary in quality from country to country this might not help you that much. In Switzerland we have neither of them :/ I think our copyright laws are a tad too loose for them to be interested in us.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A friend has Love Film in Germany and he is very happy with it but given that such services vary in quality from country to country this might not help you that much. In Switzerland we have neither of them :/ I think our copyright laws are a tad too loose for them to be interested in us.

It's nothing to do with copyright laws. What they're really selling isn't the media - it's the service; a simple, intuitive streaming interface. Like iTunes on your iPhone, for example. Media companies know that folks can get hold of their stuff if they want it; the way they're moving (well trying to move) is to make accessing it via certain platforms/services enticing in terms of convenience, user interface, reliability, ease-of-use, portability, and so on.

Sometimes they do that well (Netflix in the US is booming, as is iTunes worldwide), sometimes they don't. But it's the pattern of things to come.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Streaming is what I'm interested in. I think the uk is suffering from the old fashioned "market segmentation" angle that the media companies love so much. Apparently the uk Netflix I'd will work in the us (or via a us proxying service, such as a friend of mine uses).

I'm definitely leaning towards Netflix, might use a love film free month to watch the one thing exclusive to them that I'm interested in (castle)

Cheers

Remove ads