• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Neuromancer is finally getting made!

Fast Learner

First Post
Mistwell said:
Watch him in something like Shattered Glass. He's not a bad actor. He's just prone to bad direction.
My perfect example. He really is very good in Shattered Glass

Jaysie said:
OK, OK, I'll consider myself less apprehensive. Though I didn't mind Natalie Portman in the prequels (it's not her fault the dialogue was dreadful and her and Christensen had zero chemistry), and the other acting ranged from tolerable to really good (Ewan MacGregor and Ian McDiarmid, mainly). It was mostly Christensen that gave me a feeling of "Bleargh".
The very excuses you're giving Portman -- dreadful dialogue and no chemistry -- should equally be given to Christiansen, along with both of them having abysmal direction.

Jeysie

First Post
Fast Learner said:
The very excuses you're giving Portman -- dreadful dialogue and no chemistry -- should equally be given to Christiansen, along with both of them having abysmal direction.

Well, I meant, she was good despite those problems. He wasn't. :>

Peace & Luv, Liz

Interesting. I seem to recall back around the time of the abysmal adaptation of Johnny Mnemonic that Gibson had said it was such a horrible experience to watch it happen that he'd never allow it again. I am glad he'd changed his mind and would really love to see Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive as a trilogy.

I am not particularly apprehensive about Christensen (I think he's got the potential and/or the chops - he just needs the right parts and the right directing), but having an "unknown" director does make me leery. What has me downright quaking in horror is the fact that there is no name mentioned for whose WRITING this.

Adapting Gibsons rather singular prose style into an entirely different medium is a CHALLENGING undertaking and unless Gibson is intimately involved in the process here I will assume it to be a train-wreck in progress and will be surprised if it succeeds on any level. Without a top-notch script NOTHING will save this project. And then it can still be killed by poor art direction, bad directing, bad acting, bad editing, etc.

We can only hope.

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Man in the Funny Hat said:
Adapting Gibsons rather singular prose style into an entirely different medium is a CHALLENGING undertaking and unless Gibson is intimately involved in the process here I will assume it to be a train-wreck in progress and will be surprised if it succeeds on any level. Without a top-notch script NOTHING will save this project. And then it can still be killed by poor art direction, bad directing, bad acting, bad editing, etc.

We can only hope.

Unfortunately as Frank Miller learned in his experiences with Robocop 2 & 3 (to say they weren't what he worked on would be putting it mildly). Writers are looked upon on movie sets as something only slightly more important than stuff you scrape off of your shoes. If you want to have ANY significant amount of say or influence over the process you need to either be putting up a good chunk of the money, be the director or maybe a producer. Odds are you need to be the director to really have any influence. For some reason a good script is one of the things Hollywood is generally the least willing to invest in.

Still you can't ever say it's impossible. Look at what they did with Battlestar Galactica and Fellowship of the Ring. Of course for everyone of those there's a dozen Psycho Remakes or Johnny Mnemonic.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well writers are becoming more important look at Sin City, 300 and the new Batman. Frank Miller was heavily involved.

I personally would love to see Ridley Scott do Neuromancer. It be the perfect union, the person who made Blade Runner which Gibson said amazed him with how much it looked like Neuromancer as he was writing it and Neuromancer itself. If Ridley Scott could do a Neuromancer-looking world in Gibson's eyes then just think what he could do with the actual Neuromancer.

Also be great to have a project with I would say the two men who trully birthed Cyberpunk on a large scale.

Thanee

First Post
It's what the Lord of the Rings is for fantasy in the cyberpunk genre (though it's not the Lord of the Rings, but just a small novel).

It's what Bladerunner is as a movie for the novels.

You really closed a gap in your knowledge base there. :D

Bye
Thanee

Soel

First Post
I wish Chris Cunningham's version would have been made (director or Aphex Twin's Come to Daddy and Bjork's All Is Full of Love videos,among others, ) which was to have Aphex doing the music.

Cunningham did lament, even as he planned the film, that many of the novel's visionary elements had already been appropriated in many films, from Blade Runner to Matrix, and that it would be seen by the public to be nothing new, so it would be a challenge to make.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads